Random pics from trip to Cairns

fishmosy

Once again thanks to Bob aka Northboy for the trip.

Whilst up in Cairns I saw lots of pretty spectacular stuff and I'll be posting a few pics up whenever I have the chance along with some pics and water quality parameters related to specific rivers/creeks, perfect for basing biotope tanks on.

So first up, here is a pic of an IAL tree. Bob has said on numerous occasions that these are common in Cairns but these things are everywhere. I saw at least a dozen every day I was up there.

P1040398_zps2d168255.jpg

Some of the places we sampled were not all glamour. In fact, they weren't much more than drains. Yet these were teeming with fish. For example found maccullochi rainbowfish, purple spot gudgeons, red emperor gudgeons, cairnsichthys rainbows, platies (introduced exotic) in this drain beside a road.

P1040403_zps476278ac.jpgP1040402_zps020def81.jpg

This drain also had some interesting plants besides the schools of rainbowfish and red emperor gudgeons

63e2247a-c26f-4e18-9709-4816b1cd53aa_zps2fac635f.jpgP1040401_zpse9d8dfa7.jpg

Awesome stuff Ben, very interesting info. :victorious: All those leaves just sitting there waiting to be picked up & fed to shrimp, there's a couple of trees in brisvegas but nothing like that. :dejection:

Thanks mate' date=' the best is yet to be revealed.[/quote']

*waiting eagerly* :congratulatory:

It looks so amazing up there! I REALLY need to go there!

Some more.

Coconuts = tropical. Except these weren't on a beach, these were in a park next to a busy highway.

P1040442_zps757b56ee.jpgP1040443_zpsabb47842.jpg

Spot the red "finches" (correct me if I've got the wrong type of bird Bob), there are two.

P1040406_zps5c9b6f7c.jpg

Finally an endangered rarity that not many people even think to look for. I certainly didn't see it until Bob pointed it out. This is Australia's smallest native parrot, The double-eyed fig parrot.

P1040411_zpsf67775bd.jpgP1040410_zps23bbdcb9.jpg

Mate you did well on the Blood Finch and the Fig Parrot female. Top shots with a point and shoot.

It was not just in the water we looked

Bob

Correct my self Male in the first Figgy shot

Wow amazing shots! Looks like it was a great trip. Bob is an amazingly generous person with his time. Love the fig parrot photos.

Serkan, when are you conning the new Wife into a trip? when the important stuff is done the Fish room.

Bob

These signs were everywhere, guessing for all the tourists.

P1040585_zps94c4c7f2.jpg

This is what a lot of the scenery is, cane, mountains and rainforest. Its a odd mix but you get used to it.

P1040551_zps2c15dbf4.jpgP1040547_zpsdcb74cd3.jpg

Never knew scorpions fluoresce until I went on his trip. Bob pulled this guy out of a bit of rainforest.

P1040592_zps9a0d4af3.jpgP1040595_zpsfa554a84.jpgP1040596_zps60e68d92.jpg

We went spotlighting for freshwater sole in a tributary of the mitchell river. Caught a few but I forgot to take any pics of them! Anyway here is the creek before dark.

P1040569_zps865fe72d.jpgP1040570_zpseaf60ea3.jpgP1040571_zps75d47deb.jpg

The rainbows here were nice, beautiful yellow finnage.

P1040576_zpsffdb4e31.jpg

Mouth almighty

P1040579_zpsaef5a956.jpg

Turtle

P1040583_zps3d53960a.jpg

Awesome pics dude, love the scorpions under a black light, they look way cool! :victorious:

Great photos! I looks so beautiful up there...apart from the crocodile warning signs :cower: SCARY!

Do you have MORE PHOTOS?:congratulatory:

Love the pictures mate, pity the weather was so bad when I was there, still next time I should get some nice shots as well.

Great photos! I looks so beautiful up there...apart from the crocodile warning signs :cower: SCARY!

Do you have MORE PHOTOS?:congratulatory:

LOTS MORE. Few every day, don't want to overload everyone with AWESOMENESS.

Keep an eye out for a thread on Josephine Creek I will put up this arvo. The pics will be an aquascape/plant/moss fan's wet dream.

Brilliant pics mate!! Makes me want to hop on a plane!!

Do it, what I have shown so far is just a tiny fraction of what I saw.

Don't forget also that interesting and beautiful plants, mosses, shrimp, algae, fish, ect ect can be found close by to most people. Have a look at some of the other field trips, close to big cities. The only way to see it is to get out and explore.

How about an SKF conference weekend where everyone flies up to stay with Bob in tents with marshmallows and field trips :D

Done that before, a couple of others and myself put up the ANGFA guys and took them around for a few days a couple of years ago.

Not on much land any more so no camping or a couple at max, I have 3 spare rooms and there is good pub accommodation down the road though x 3.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Can't believe I didn't put this up already.

Spotlighting on the way to Barney Springs, spotted this guy.

Green possum, didn't know they existed until I saw this one.

Freaking awesome.

P1040833_zps2fed74f6.jpg