Top end temp. for CRS?

Millsy

One thing I'm worried about in setting up my CRS tank is top temp. through summer for CRS. I've read they don't like it above about 26 C. Does anyone here have any experience with CRS and higher temps? Optimal breeding temp?

I think you will find that most people aim for 22-24 degrees celsius. Above 26 and you may find they are distressed and may start to die off.

On a conservative side, 25+ activates DEFCON 3, 26+ DEFCON 2 and 27+ DEFCON 1....as yet another conservative approach, assume the temp gauge can be 0.5 +/- what's shown.....optimal breeding is 23-24 IMO.

I think you will find that most people aim for 22-24 degrees celsius. Above 26 and you may find they are distressed and may start to die off.

Agreed. I've had stressed and dead shrimps in the last summer when it went 27-28c. That's why I'm getting a chiller very soon.

Yeh 24 is the bench mark mate. They can survive higher but this is to be avoided as it highly stresses them out; and when I say higher I mean only for short periods i.e. your chiller broke and you are waiting for the new one to arrive. Even then you will still be dumping in iced bottles and keeping the fan on full blast.

I know one guy who keeps his shrimp at 27degrees C

No issues whatsoever.

You need to be careful keeping them at that temp tho as there is little room for fluctuation

Before i got my chiller my nano cube would get up to 29 some days, and probly lost about 10 crs all up. In the money you lose from shrimp dying, it would almost pay for a chiller.

Sorry to hi-jack. I just started a new 2ft tank and wanted to know what is the 'best rated chiller for that size tank' also does anyone think the seneye products are worth the money

dew to the peace of mind? Checking while your at work on your iphone your temp?incase you need to make that quick cal to get some to true on the chiller? or do they auto turn on.

Cheers Matt and Sarah

I've kept my CRS at 26 deg all winter and they are breading like crazy, but after reading this thread I will put it down to 25 deg. I've never heard of a chiller.

I've kept my CRS at 26 deg all winter and they are breading like crazy' date=' but after reading this thread I will put it down to 25 deg. I've never heard of a chiller.[/quote']

Yea but i have had them at 25c Im working on getting my 2ft tank down to 22c When the big heat comes so it has room to move abit. I heared about then just never seen a good one or used one.