Eheim Jager Heater

idlwld

Hi guys and girls, just wondering if anyone has had, or is using these heaters? I bought one about 4 weeks ago with my nano tank and found the temperature to keep creeping up in the tank. I took it back to the LFS and they said they could recalibrate it. So two days later I picked it up, put it back in the tank, set it to 22 and went away for the weekend. Came home to find the tank back over 26. Luckily I was still fishless cycling!!! So I took it back to the LFS again and they said it must have been faulty and gave me a new one off the shelf. Went home put it in, set to 22. Was fine for 3 or 4 days. Then came home from work to find the tank over 26 again. So I took it out and put it in a bucket to monitor the temp of the tank (in case the excess heat was coming from somewhere else, Light, filter????) and the temp in the bucket. Tank stayed at about 21 for a week, found the bucket to be over 26 on two occasions. So, are these heaters notorious for doing this??? And do I take it back to the LFS a third time and get another one, hoping I somehow got two duds (just my luck :() or get it swapped to a different brand???

• HOF Member

I have read on Facebook shrimp sites that they have been having trouble with the Eheims but I don't have any personal experience with them.

That is very strange, has the ambient temp of the room it's in changed much over the last few weeks? That effects the accuracy of the heater a lot, especially in a small tank. :encouragement:

It wouldn't change all that much, a couple of degrees maybe. Thought the heater would be good as you can sort of calibrate it. The temp indicator can be adjusted +/- 2 degrees so you can set it to exactly what the water temp reads, but even when I have the indicator maxed out the tank is still over 4 degrees warmer.

P.s if that doesn't make sense, I'll take a pic of the top of the heater :stupid:

Never believe that what you set a heater to is the temp that it will actually produce. Most thermostats are way out regardless of the brand.

Easy way to fix it is:

1: Set your heater to a temperature e.g. 22*C

2: measure the actual temp in the tank (remembering that thermometers can also be dodgy, but don't get me started) after 12-24hours or so.

3: work out the difference/error e.g. The temp is reading 26*C so an error of +4*C.

4: reduce or increase the setting on your heater by the error e.g. Down to 18*C

5: leave the tank overnight.

6: Measure temp.

hey presto, the tank should be at the right temp (assuming nothing else is heating the tank).

I have these in my fish tanks and haven't noticed any issues, but I'm not running thermometers in all my tanks at the moment so its not accurate. I have read negative things on other forums, but I like eheim as a brand.

Fishmossy, that's how I set the temp in my other tank :D Problem with this one is it fluctuates, a lot. Probably didn't make that clear in my original post. I'll set it to 22, it'll be fine for a few days, then jump up to 26. Drop back down to around 22 again then repeat. It's almost like the thermostat gets stuck and doesn't switch off on occasions. Then when it finally turns off it drops back to set temperature and so on.

• HOF Member

I tested 4 thermometers of 1 type in my tank and got 4 different temps, I always have 2 in each tank now never the same brand and feel a little safer.

I used to work for the Importer of Eheim/Jager about 6 years ago and they constantly had issues with the heaters.

I would have thought this may have been fixed by now.

As mentioned earlier, check the temperature regularly with a thermometer and if you continue having issues maybe ask the LFS to exchange for an alternative brand.

Have been checking very regularly with a high quality digital thermometer i use for work. There is also a stick on glass thermometer in the tank which reads the same as my digital thermometer. Guess the topic of this thread is now changing to "Which heater do you use and recommend!"

I tested 4 thermometers of 1 type in my tank and got 4 different temps' date=' I always have 2 in each tank now never the same brand and feel a little safer.[/quote']

Great idea Ineke!! Might have to follow your lead on this idea! :)

Fishmossy' date=' that's how I set the temp in my other tank :D Problem with this one is it fluctuates, a lot. Probably didn't make that clear in my original post. I'll set it to 22, it'll be fine for a few days, then jump up to 26. Drop back down to around 22 again then repeat. It's almost like the thermostat gets stuck and doesn't switch off on occasions. Then when it finally turns off it drops back to set temperature and so on.[/quote']

Ah got ya. Yeah sounds like a dodgy thermostat.

just buy this and you will never have to worry about stuck heaters again! $23 delivered!!!!

I have 2, it cuts the power if it detects over anything you set.

http://www.****.com.au/itm/THERMOSTAT-Reptile-Snake-Lizard-Incubator-9to38-Deg-C-/140896175925?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item20ce110735&_uhb=1

ehiem is apparently the best heater brand

best idea is to buy a low wattage heater, that way if it ever gets stuck it won't be powerful enough to overheat your tank even if on 24/7 :P

That's a good idea neosin!!!! I've only got a 25W heater, not sure if ya can get much smaller than that? And yeah it is definitely fully submerged!

I use a STC1000 controller off fleabay to control my heaters which reduces risk of faulty heater thermostats overheating tanks. It would take both the controller and the heater to fail for the tank to overheat. Best $20 I've spent.

Appreciate the feedback relating to the separate thermostat controllers. Think that may be the direction I go. That way I won't have to go back to the LFS for a fourth time regarding the heater and look like a weirdo!!!!

I use a STC1000 controller off fleabay to control my heaters which reduces risk of faulty heater thermostats overheating tanks. It would take both the controller and the heater to fail for the tank to overheat. Best $20 I've spent.

Am I correct when I say if the controller is faulty or plays up and switches the heater off in winter, then the shrimps will freeze???

Am I correct when I say if the controller is faulty or plays up and switches the heater off in winter' date=' then the shrimps will freeze???[/quote']

From the description of the STC-1000, it would sound an alarm if that was the case.

So you will be aware of the issue before your tank got too cold.

A few years back the circuit in the garage tripped during winter, at the time I had a tank with CRS in it. By the time I noticed the power was out in the garage the tank was 12C!!! Had shrimplets as well as adults at the time they all made it. Had natives in another tank which were all gone!

I'm more worried about cooking my shrimp as opposed to freezing them. My tank is currently running without a heater at 20-21 degrees and it's winter. Admittedly it hasn't been the coldest winter here in Adelaide, but I thought shrimp were more susceptible to higher temps than lower temps (correct me if I'm wrong) hence my concern with the heater running hotter.

Don't you have to wire this thing yourself?

Too hardcore for me haha!

It wasn't too hard to do. I got an old plastic container with lock lids and two $2 extension cords.

Here is a wiring diagram

stc1000_zpseac71ff9.png

I used a box cutter to cut a hole in the side.

P8100730_zps6209695e.jpg

One extension cord for the power in and power out for the heater. One end of the other extension cord is for power out for the chiller (which will be coming soon)

P8100731_zps8602a122.jpg

Can you use the stc1000 for heating only???? Or do you have to run a cooler off it as well?