Max Temps shrimp will survive in Summer

jayc

For all the SKF members out that that have kept shrimp over Summer ... what temps have your tanks got up to in Summer, without deaths?

Ideal temps are around 23-24 depending on the type of shrimp.

But what temps can they tolerate in Summer without detrimental effect?

I'm specifically interested in tanks without chillers.

Chillers can be expensive and bulky.

Other problems that comes with high temp:

-less carbon dioxide = more ammonium

-water holds less oxygen

-toxicity of ammonia increases

It would be good for the new Shrimp keepers to know the risks, and for what temperatures to avoid in Summer.

I've got a digital thermometer with a min/max alarm feature that i'd like to set.

It's not uncommon to have several days of 30+ degC in Sydney inside the house ... is that too high?

Please comment on the heat affect on

Adult shrimps

Shrimplets

Pregnant / Berried females.

During the heatwave last summer with 10 days straight of 30+ degrees in Melbourne, my fishroom temp went up to 30c and tanks temp are 28c, I did not lose any CRS or Cherries but lost a few CBS.

I know cherries can handle up to about 28° as mine did last summer & I had some crystals do it as well but I was stressing as I wouldn't reccommend them over 25° & definitely not Taiwan Bees. The only effect I know of for all ages of shrimp is dying, I have have a feeling that the lack of oxygen also plays a big part in their death as well as the actual temp of the water. Sorry I give you any more specific results as most of this happened while I was as work so I couldn't monitor the effects of the heat :dejection:

This is great. Keep them coming. They more personal observations and experiences posted, the more we will see a commonality in max temps. Already we are seeing 28deg C as a possible limit.

I'm pretty sure shrimplet's tolerances would be lower.

I had CBS survive in my discus tank at 32 degrees, but i wouldnt recommend that haha ;)

I had CBS survive in my discus tank at 32 degrees' date=' but i wouldnt recommend that haha ;)[/quote']

Wow! That has raised the average a bit. How long have they been in that temp?

Have had crs cbs and cherries in temps of 17 through to 32 deg and in all tanks they have breed.High temps are not the most ideal but my fish are all high temp sp so when I feed off culls some live to bbeed and others become food just found it interesting that the cyristals still breed in the tanks though.

Wow! That has raised the average a bit. How long have they been in that temp?

3-4 weeks. They werent meant to be in there, but somehow managed to survive! I took them out though

My crystals I try to keep under 25 but in summer they will get to 26-27 and they still breed and are happy... I try to hold 22-23 which I can do expect for the 4 months a year when it ambient temps are way to high...

ive had shrimplets outdoors by accident in plants that ive removed and thrown in outdoor tanks through summer and didnt notice them till they were big enough to spot. water being in the 30s

I have some red cherries in my L134 tank at a constant 30*C. Been in there for several months at that temp and the little beggars have even bred. I do have two sponge filters and circulation pump though. Did have approx half of what I put in die off within the first week but the survivors have soldiered on amazingly well considering I expected them all to die.

Ok, so it seems the max temp for CRS, CBS, RCS might be (give or take a couple of deg) around 30deg C.

That would probably be a good guidance for new shrimp keepers to aim for as a max in Summer.

Cherries might tolerate higher temps, but its not ideal.

No info yet on TBs, probably too expensive to keep without a chiller.

Like Torface I've had pretty high temperatures in my tanks containing CBS, CRSs and their cousins. Last year we were hitting 32 - 34c regularly and didn't lose any shrimps, and may it was hot!

Personally I don't think its temperature that's the issue for our shrimp but the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water. The higher the temperature then then less dissolved oxygen in the water and all of my tanks were running normal sponge filters but along with this I removed the lids from any tanks to aid evaporation but this also keeps the air turning over as well. In the new place I'm currently running internal filters but I will be adding additional aeration once those temperatures start to climb again. Don't have capacity or funds to add 12 chillers.

This has opened my eyes a little, I was worried about summer with crystals. Kiwi makes a good point about oxygen. I always add airstones to my fish tanks over summer so it stands to reason that shrimp would be the same. I will be looking for crystals soon for a display so I will run the tank on 4 sponge filters and see how it goes.

Cheers mick

This will be my first summer with shrimp. Hearing what people have experienced has reassured me, that I might hold off on purchasing a chiller. I'll wait and see if it is manageable. If there are days where temps go too high, I'll control temps with a bottle of frozen water placed in the tank.

Chiller is peace of mind. Why waste your day hot summer days stessing trying to manually cool your tank when you can go to Bondi and be cool!

Ok' date=' so it seems the max temp for CRS, CBS, RCS might be (give or take a couple of deg) around 30deg C.

That would probably be a good guidance for new shrimp keepers to aim for as a max in Summer.

Cherries might tolerate higher temps, but its not ideal.

No info yet on TBs, probably too expensive to keep without a chiller.[/quote']

I would not recommend this. Shrimp prefer constant stable paremeters.

+1 agree with JonX, better to have it & not need it than need it & not have it :encouragement:

I would not recommend this. Shrimp prefer constant stable paremeters.

I'm in no way suggesting that this is a preferred temp to keep your beloved shrimp.

By all means, avoid it.

I'm only trying to gain an idea, and weigh the risks vs cost of getting an expensive chiller or not.

Not everyone is able to afford a chiller.

I'm accept anyone's second hand chiller if you can spare it ;)

Thanks.

Any further details? Where in Burwood?

I'd like to keep it as a reference, but I can't afford it yet ... certainly not in time for this summer.

I need to make a few big purchases for another tank I'm setting up , it never ends. The purchase involves, tank, LED light, substrate and canister filter. I certainly won't be popular with the "minister of finance" with another expense for a chiller.

That's why I need to "suck it and see" for this summer, forming my decisions based on good advise.

I think I can manage this Summer.