S.A Newb

idlwld

Hi everyone, I'm new to the shrimp keeping game and thought I'd join your forum to make sure I'm doing it right! :D

Hope to find plenty of useful tips and contribute once I get the hang of it myself.

Cheers

Idlwld

Welcome to SKF. As your increase your post count, the forum will open up for you, and you'll find lots of info, pics and advise. Alternatively, you can get premium membership, and have access to the entire forum, incl, the buy/sell section..

What shrimps have you got now.... Post some pics...we love pics here.

• HOF Member

Hi and welcome to SKF great to see another person from SA . The forum has heaps of info for you to learn about shrimp keeping. No question is a silly question so ask anything you want to know about shrimp and someone will be sure to have the answer. The forum will open up for you as you post so the more you post the more you get to see.

I've only got a couple of red cherries at the moment in a 46L Fluval Edge with my fish, whilst I wait for my other tank (Fluval Ebi) to cycle. I hope to put CBS in there, possibly with some yellow cherries. May have to ask for some advice on my second post, as I have just done a partial water change in the EBI and noticed little hair like worms on the glass!?!?! What are they, are they harmful to shrimp and how do I get rid of them? Pretty sure they are not planaria as they are not flat or have eyes (that I can see anyway) I'll try and take some pics for ID purposes shortly

Hey mate, welcome to the forum. In reference to your last question, they sound like nematodes. Generally not too harmful but may be a sign of overfeeding.

Yeah, pic would be great. We also have a library which shows all the worms, insects etc that we may find in our tanks.

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place to learn about shrimp. Great bunch of people here.

I haven't got anything in the tank yet as I am "fishless cycling" it, so should't be an overfeeding problem. I just put an uncooked prawn in there for a couple of days until I got a NH3 spike and took it out to get the cycle going......... was this a bad idea?

Where abouts will I find the library with info on worms and what not??? having trouble taking a pic that would be any use in identifying whats in my tank so I'll see if I can sus it out myself

Hi mate

(most of my post disappeared)

welcome to the forum

i think I have something similar to what you have microscopic white worm things on the glass?

im keen to see pics of your edge, I have one also but not with shrimp

Welcome to the forum, you'll find the library when you post more & the rest of the forum opens up, hope you have as much fun here as we do :victorious:

funny-gifs-cool-booty-walk_zpsae48448d.gif

Thanks for saying hi everyone, good to see some South Aussies on here!!!! I'll have to clean up the Edge before posting some pics, maybe this weekend.

Welcome to SKF ENJOY!

Welcome to SKF ENJOY!

Yep, what he said! ;)

Can't wait for pics!

Hi guys, thought I throw up a pic of each of my tanks. As you can see I haven't got around to trimming the plants in my Edge yet!!! And obviously haven't got anything in the Ebi yet. Haven't found any CBS or yellow cherries f/s in S.A yet!post-862-139909853954_thumb.jpgpost-862-139909853958_thumb.jpg

post-3620-139909852257_thumb.jpg

post-3620-139909852262_thumb.jpg

Sweet looking tanks dude, lovely scapes, hope you get some shrimp, I'm sure there's someone who will Get in contact with you soon to help out :victorious:

Cheers mate, I'm not great with scaping. Things always look better in my head......... Is there a for sale section on this forum, which I'm not yet privy too????

Don't worry I'm the same, lol :victorious: there is a classified section but you must be a premium member to access it, it will be the best $12.50 you ever spend & you save more than twice that on your first purchase :encouragement:

Ah ha, thought there would have to be one somewhere!!! Besides the small outlay of 12.50, how does one become a premium member??? I've seen it somewhere, I think? But can't find it now :confused-new:

At the very top of the screen is the settings tab, then when you're in settings go halfway down on the left to paid subscriptions & vwalah! :encouragement:

Thanks mate, I would have been looking for that all night!!!! I am now a premium shrimp member :victorious: