Stony Creek

fishmosy

There is little in this creek besides gudgeons, glass shrimp and yabbies, but I thought I'd take a look for some native mosses.

In one short section of creek (15metres) I found at least 2 types of moss (emerse/above water) and another submerse (below water) that I believe is a type of pellia (will get close up pics for ID in coming days).

The creek (facing south)

StonyCreek_zps83eaf32c.jpg

The mosses were at the base of the grassy (eastern) side.

StonyCreek2_zpse43cd589.jpg

Tree moss? Tried growing this submerse, it just melted away within a fortnight.

TreeMoss_zps79eef994.jpgP1040320_zps35436ba5.jpgP1040319_zps01f9b3a2.jpg

The ultimate moss covered root

P1040314_zpsc28f4c77.jpg

Close ups

P1040316_zpsc32be4d2.jpgP1040315_zps38436402.jpg

Fern and moss

P1040311_zpsd8328ae1.jpg

Not sure what this is, maybe some sort of 'baby tears'?

P1040310_zps276f00fb.jpgP1040330_zps124ff7aa.jpg

At the base of this pic, in the water you can see the 'pellia?'

P1040326_zpsfc6abf30.jpgP1040325_zpsf3ffda0b.jpg

The 'leaves' on this one are 30-40mm long. I collected some and this is what I will get the closeups from.

P1040323_zps9cb1c1ae.jpg

Also collected this rock which is the same stuff. Looks much better underwater.

P1040327_zps6fc53ea4.jpg

Finally something completely different. Just want to make the point that you don't need to go to exotic locations to find some nice mosses that you can try to acclimate to aquarium conditions. This moss was found on my mums back verandah. Simply walked out the door and bam!

928A37B0-4539-4FE6-8655-2D177D57A196-9406-00000CD7858C0678_zps33bcc496.jpg896D993C-99B4-4C83-9464-F8EC492F20BE-9406-00000CD77CB7AD12_zps5293cf16.jpg

So have a look for some moss yourself, you'll be amazed where you spot them once you start looking.

Too right mate! But being away from Industrial areas helps :p

You're a bit warmer up there than i am down here so you've got some stuff i've never seen.

That pellia is a cool find.

Thanks mate, it should do really well as it is growing submerse and I know that section of creek has been at that level or higher for at least six months now.

Very cool stuff Ben, lots of very cool finds there, thanks for sharing! :victorious:

Nice find. I've never really thought we had any good mosses here, thanks to you and northboy, we are getting to see them.

I have collected a few different types of mosses for terrariums, what process do you go through to convert them to submersed growth?

I'm pretty brutal in my methods. I simply tie it onto something (wood, tile, rock, ect.) and throw it in a tank or a couple of tanks that have different water parameters or lighting. My reasoning is that if a moss is to be successful (in aquaria) it needs to be adaptive to quick changes and able to handle a range of conditions. Secondly, mosses in the wild are subject to rapid submersion. Think about a flooding creek. The water level can rise rapidly within a few hours. The moss then has the choice to either grow underwater or wait it out until the water recedes. At its most basic I force the moss to make this choice. Most melt, some grow.

I will admit though that if I had CO2 more mosses might survive as carbon sequestration is much more difficult moving from emerse to submerse and having a high level of dissolved CO2 could help in this regard.

Nice one Ben, There is some good looking stuff there, it will be good if it takes, I use the same method straight under water for the marginal ones and low tech tanks.

You will love a couple of places up here Ben, don't forget the camera

Bob

I have collected a few different types of mosses for terrariums' date=' what process do you go through to convert them to submersed growth?[/quote']

If they weren't next to water or in a very high humidity area or in a common rain run off, you probably wont have much luck with them.

But normally, i put them in a little bit of water not so that they are covered and then gradually fill it up over a week or two.

Again, a lot will melt, but if you get them near or in the water, the percentage goes down a lot.

A bit different up here Chris, it is very wet and humid on the edges of creeks in the Rainforest and most of what I try has submerged parts still.

There is one place on The Table lands where the Mini Bolbitis grows on a 4mt high wall mixed with moss, water runs over it 8 months of the year.

You should come up for a look some time to, it would blow you away.

Bob

A bit different up here Chris' date=' it is very wet and humid on the edges of creeks in the Rainforest and most of what I try has submerged parts still.

There is one place on The Table lands where the Mini Bolbitis grows on a 4mt high wall mixed with moss, water runs over it 8 months of the year.

You should come up for a look some time to, it would blow you away.

Bob[/quote']

True that, forgot about the weather differences :p

I've found a place down here that is permanently wet, all over, the trees even have algae and slime growing on them.

Very very different to the rest of the places. Air is a good 4 degrees cooler than outside the valley too.

Found Mini Bolibitis on 2 big shaded rocks but was pretty rare there. Also found a few species of moss i hadn't seen before, hoping with the extra humidity and the recurring flooding that the mosses do ok.

I found some Utricularia a while back in a different spot, now i've got my eyes peeled everywhere for little specs of it on the ground or in the water :p

Hard work watching out for it takes me 4 hours for a 8km walk.

It's been years since i was last up that way. I think i could be up next year, but only possibly briefly for a wedding. I might try and linger around though.

HA HA I know about the slow going, I look at birds to so I end up with a sore neck as well as bruises from not looking where I am going and with a back pack on you go down harder.

I use Dunlop volleys the roofers shoe they save many slips, would recommend them going to those spots, save you lots of bumps.

Bob

HA HA I know about the slow going' date=' I look at birds to so I end up with a sore neck as well as bruises from not looking where I am going and with a back pack on you go down harder.

I use Dunlop volleys the roofers shoe they save many slips, would recommend them going to those spots, save you lots of bumps.

Bob[/quote']

I started seeing some nice birds lately too, i can't look both up and down though (have tried, slipped down a rock), so it's down on the way down and up on the way back :p

I ended arse down in a puddle the other week, i've learnt the hard way that runners don't do squat on slime. Should've known better, i've been rock fishing for years.

Shoes off for me now. Bit of numbness on the toes never hurt :p

Volleys are a good idea, very flexible foot and the flat sole oughta help, i used to have my rockfishing plates screwed to a pair of old volleys at my dad's insistence, never realised why.

Volleys are the best by many many miles, Get some mate you wont be sorry and they are cheep

Bob

Volleys are the best by many many miles' date=' Get some mate you wont be sorry and they are cheep

Bob[/quote']

Volleys rock... when I was on the tools I wanted to get a pair of steel cap ones.. hahaha

• 3 weeks later...