Native Snails

Dean

I got some native snails from Bob about 6-7 months ago.

i have been hoping they would breed in my tanks without the need for brackish water and have noticed plenty of eggs

being laid from the start but never had/noticed any baby snails survive :(

that being said i have finally found my first baby snail in the tank :)

parent snails (sorry dont remember name)

Pumpkin_zpsc0653d6e.jpg

eggs

003_zpsb9028ef5.jpg

baby snail

010_zps6f34a331.jpg

007_zps716c0888.jpg

Really cool Dean, congratulation on the success, well done! :victorious:

:applause: well done mate, I had given up hope that mine would breed. What are your water parameters and what are you feeding them?

i think it was more luck than anything mate :)

but water parameters are

PH 5.8

EC 389

Temp 25

i dont feed them at all, i just move them to a different tank every 4-5 weeks as they are my cleaning crew.

i use them only to clean algae of the glass and as soon as the tank is clean i put them in another tank.

Thanks mate, guess mine haven't been getting enough algae as they've been in the same tank since I got them.

BTW the species name for these guys is Melanoides sp.

Nice snail mate! The worlds gone funny all of a sudden, people WANTING snails! Bout time too, vital in any aquarium.

Thanks mate, guess mine haven't been getting enough algae as they've been in the same tank since I got them.BTW the species name for these guys is Melanoides sp.
Something interesting is that Melanoides is the same genus as the Malaysian Trumpet Snail (Melanoides Tuberculata), which infact has been recorded as an Australian Native before.

Good one Dean, most of the ones you got have a planktonic larval stage, its not so much salt water as having food and not being eaten or sucked up filters.

Melanoides Tuberculata occurs up here at one old mine site and a couple of other spots on the Mitchell rv, I think yours Dean and Mossy are Melanoides Denisonii I will see if I can find the name, they got to 12cm and when you are up Ben we will go and get a few more.

Bob