Up aqua soil

bailey88

So I've found this for cheap would this be suitable for a shrimp set up or even for one tank in a sumped rack ??9L =9kgs? Thanks in advance brendon

I'm interested to know the answer to your question too. I saw that one brand came in a wet and dry version... I wondered if the amount of substrate was the same in both...

I've decided I'm going with ADA Amazonia and do the couple month cycle...

I have use normal up aqua soil for crs and cbs. It was amazing, my shrimps breed reguarly, no deaths and the shrimplets seem to grow faster. BUT after about 8 months, it was all down hill. I was lossing 3-4 shrimps a day.

Please use it with caution. Now im using Benibachi and ADA. Been about 4-5 months and all is looking good. I highly recommend Benibachi but its all up to you.

Thanks

I started out with UpAqua soil 3+ years ago, and had similar results then JPN07. It breaks down rapid after 8+ months, and it's buffering capacity deteriorates quickly after 8-12 months....I have a 120 lt tank still utlising the same 3+ year old UpAqua, but it's completely covered with ground cover..... I have my lower grade CRS's and Cherries in there, with PH at approx. 7.

BUT for higher grades, I'd definitely will go with a quality soil ! All my tanks are with Benibachi, and I have absolutely no complains....

I agree with you guys. I only ever use ADA or Benibachi.

It does make a difference in the long run

Thanks for all of your inputs really appreciate all the help cheers brendon

Been using the Up Aqua shrimp sand for more than a year now, The CRS and CBS are breeding well and the sand looks like the same the day I bought them and no sign of dissolving at all.

Ace

i was exactly the same as jpo7 and bluebolts, i also found with the upaquasoil that if you disturbed the substrate it clouded the water severely!

go the benibachi in my opinion mate, its made to last longer aswell as great buffering capacity

up aqua soil is pretty goog does not cloudy the water its crystal clear when u first put it in but after a couple of months later and u disturb them it get dirty

• 1 month later...

i had 2 tanks set up one with UP aquasoil used for about 3-4months and one with benibachi which i was cycling .

the up aqua soil was good for about 6-8 months then started breaking down and i was loosing a lot of my crs.

i then changed over to the benibachi tank and have nevered looked back crs are doing really well, getting heaps of babies coming thru.

been running the benibachi for 6months now and still looks good.

So yeah Up aqua soil not really that good for shrimps imo.

gonna start tring ADA soil soon.

• 3 months later...

I'm currently on UpAqua for about 5 months now, Shrimps were breeding well and no deaths, i'm worried for the future as many of you guys stated that it will break down after 8 months. What should i do? And How do i change substrate in the tank, i've only got 1 tank so i cannot do what plecofan09 has done.