Moss Exchange Program

lisapie

After an excellent suggestion from a forum member, and a few positive responses I thought I'd start a thread to host a moss exchange program. As a moss addict (Bryophile?) I'm all too aware of how hard and expensive it can be to track down certain species and replying to year old threads just because you saw the moss you've been desperately searching for in the background of a shrimp pic is rarely effective. :D

If we can all list the mosses we have acquired it might help forum members find others to trade with or purchase from, and will also hopefully provide a good picture of what is available within Australia. I know there are a lot of very experienced and knowledgeable moss people on this forum and a wealth of information scattered throughout its pages, but no go-to place for the moss beginner through to the moss aficionado. Creating and maintaining a master list / sticky thread would be my idea hope, but I am aware this is a shrimp forum, so I'm unsure if there is a demand for it.

I chose to post this here rather than the classified section as this is as much about sharing information on mosses available as much as it is about the possibility of trading them. However if the forum mods don't agree then I'm more than happy for this thread to be moved.

So if you'd like to participate just list the mosses you have, and are willing to share, and hopefully we can all help each other out. If possible it would be best to include a scientific name to avoid confusion. Hopefully this won't make everything more confusing, as debates over scientific names and identifying mosses are always a bit of a nightmare, especially when you're collecting information from the web, various online sellers, and potentially out of date literature. Given the relative scarcity of species that are easy to obtain in Australia, including the name that the moss was sold as will probably be enough, but if you feel like starting a taxonomy debate then go for it!

Please don't list prices or trading details, I think it would be best if the trading aspect of this thread was conducted via the classifieds section or via PM.

My current collection of "mosses" with best info I can find is at the bottom of this post. I say "mosses" as many species in the list are not mosses, but other Bryophytes such as hornworts and liverworts. However many aquarium owners and retailers would group them with mosses and it just keeps things simple. This is by no means a full taxonomic list, and definitely should not be presumed to be correct. I have done the best I can in finding correct information, but scientific names are changed every now and again, species that were once thought to be different turn out to be the same, just grown in different conditions. Retailers often have different names for different mosses, people buy them and then sell them on under the same name and before you know it everyone is playing Chinese whispers with moss.

These names are cautiously presumed to be correct either as that's what they were sold to me as and I haven't come across any info that makes me suspect otherwise, or I have been sold a plant under an erroneous name (often confused species / out of date scientific names) and I have researched published data and applied the most recent agreed upon scientific name. My full spreadsheet of aquatic mosses I have researched (not just ones I have) which includes common synonyms, authors and notes can be downloaded from the latest forum post.

Selected sources;

http://www.mobot.org/MOBOT/tropicos/most/bryolist.shtml

http://gni.globalnames.org/name_strings

http://www.heimbiotop.de/moos.html

http://www.flowgrow.de/

http://www.wassermoos.de/

I will be adding to the spreadsheet as people post more information and I continue researching. I know I am probably going to get bombarded with PM's telling me about all the mistakes I made and species I missed, which is absolutely fine and I encourage. However, please refrain from doing so without checking out my spreadsheet above as it goes into a lot more detail than the list below. Also if you see something that needs correcting, please provide links or references to reliable information and a source. I am all for correcting my mistakes, but I am not interested in squabbling about details when there is no proof. (My PhD in an unrelated field ensures I do enough of that already! <ahttp://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/ipb3/http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.gif' alt=':D'>) Keep in mind I am not a scientist or botanist, I am no expert or authority. Just an overly enthusiastic fish tank chic with mild OCD tendencies which tend to predispose me to extensive pointless research, making exhaustive overly complicated spreadsheets, organising and sorting, and collecting as many pretty things for my aquariums as I can.

Anyway, on to the point of this post which has become incredibly long-winded and sciencey even for my liking.

Current Identified Moss List - 11.07.13

[TABLE="width: 493]

Phoenix Moss

-

Fissidens fontanus

Fissidens Nobillis

-

Fissidens nóbilis

Mt. Glorious Fissiden

-

Fissidens sp. "Glorious"

Mini Sydney Fissiden

-

Fissidens sp. "Mini Sydney"

Willow Moss

-

Fontinális antipyrética

Rose Moss

-

Jungermannia pseudocyclop

Pearl Moss

-

Plagiomnium cf. affine

Mini Pellia

-

Riccárdia chamedryfólia

Riccia

-

Ríccia flúitans

Taiwan Moss

-

Taxiphýllum altérnans

Java Moss

-

Taxiphýllum barbíeri

Spiky Moss

-

Taxiphýllum sp. "Peacock Moss"

Peacock Moss

-

Taxiphýllum sp. "Spiky Moss"

Flame Moss

-

Taxiphýllum sp."Flame Moss"

Weeping Moss

-

Vesiculária ferriei

Christmas Moss

-

Vesiculária montágnei

[/TABLE]

Thanks for putting up with that diatribe, and I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else has hiding in their fish tanks!

Well im boring I have java ahhhh duuuuhhhhh and recently peacock and flame thats it

• 4 weeks later...
  • HOF Member

It would be great to have some pictures of each type for those of us that don't know much about moss:encouragement:

Hi Ineke, there are plans in the works to have a photo collection to go with this list. I'm just trying to grow out my mosses so I can actually get some good photos, then send some samples off for closeup photography too. Will be updating the thread with any new info and pics.

Jag' (J_A_L) has a "moss gallery" thread, plus several other members here have posted some awesome pics (yes, the one's that have photography skills)... perhaps these can be collated and combined to get this great idea rolling ?

http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/460-Moss-Gallery

Thanks for the post BlueBolts. The photos that JAG Aquatic Layout has posted are fantastic, definitely some of my favourite professional quality moss ID pics. To answer your question, I have been collecting and archiving moss ID photos that I've sourced from every corner of the web for personal reference over the last several months. I have added a column to the master spreadsheet where I plan on adding links and sources for good ID pics, galleries and threads I've found.

I am working on creating a series of moss ID articles for this forum, and collating ID pics in the articles would be great. Ideally, my future plan is to create a dedicated website to and act purely as an information/moss ID resource and host all the content, but obviously there is a lot more work to be done getting the all important info sorted out first, but if I was to include others photos I would need to contact them first for permission before including their pictures, and ensure they are referenced / accredited appropriately. That's going to take me a while, so I've been deliberately putting it off and focusing on organising my own content for now. I can always update and add sourced pictures if I receive permission to do so.

At this stage I have my hands full updating the moss ID information, writing up articles, sourcing new species, growing and propagating, getting established moss photos, and sending samples off to another forum member who was kind enough to volunteer their time and resources photographing moss samples under a microscope. It's a lot of work, and getting the ball rolling has been difficult. I am hoping that once I start to get the first articles posted more members might be interested in getting behind this and we'll see more activity.

Current Moss Collection and Info Update

My current list of mosses has been updated and some new info has been added.

If anyone is interested in contributing any content, whether that is pictures, links to information, first hand experience from growing, just send me a message.

Alternatively, I have also changed the spreadsheet settings so comments can be added by anyone via the link below, so any extra info would be greatly appreciated! I strictly adhere to copyright/creative commons licences, as such ALL legitimate content contributions will be cited and attributed, so please include your details (SKF username / email / some way to identify yourself) in your comment, otherwise I will not be able to include your content.

That is an absolutely excellent list. That is by far the most comprehensive i have ever seen.

I have one that i can add to for now, and I have heaps more, but it'll take time.

Hay Lisa i am more than happy to lend my macro lens and camera if you need it for pics. just let me know.

love this thread and cant wait to see the finished list :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dean, thanks so much for pitching in! I might take you up on the offer of the camera and macro lens at some point in the future. I'm aiming to get pictures of established mosses, and I'm trying to grow uniform sized samples so the photos offer a good point of comparison. So once I have enough grown out samples I'll be doing a studio quality photoshoot, but unfortunately that's still a little while off yet.

I'm aiming to send off the first of several sets of moss samples to be photographed in detail by some pretty awesome scientific equipment this coming week, thanks to a forum member who offered to get involved right from the start. I don't want to name names without permission, but I'm sure they will make themselves known if they want to.

So despite my lack of updates, due to being unbelievably busy lately, everything is slowly coming together. :D

• 4 months later...

This is my updated list well some of them I'm waiting to arrive this week.

Flame moss

Christmas moss

Phoenix moss

Peacock moss

Rose moss

Weeping moss

Willow moss

Pearl moss

Star moss

Stringy moss

Bushy moss

Tiawan moss

Glorious fissiden

fissidens nobillis

Mini pellia

Micro pellia

My list:: Java Moss

I'm sure you're all very impressed :p Sadly WA seems pretty meh when it comes to plants as we cant import them interstate