Mulberry, Kale and Rainbow Chard.

Fishnbe

OK first real question for the forum.

I have a white mulberry plant that still has a few leaves on it. Is this type of mulberry ok for my RCS. I usually use all fresh fruit/veg when feeding my other fishies not blanched or frozen. Is this ok with mulberry and the other veg im about to mention?

I also grow rainbow Chard, tuscan Kale, dwarf blue Kale and red russian Kale, are all these ok for the shrimps?

And how long do people usually leave leaves in for? Just till there is not a lot left....

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben, I would cautiously presume the white mulberry leaves would be ok.... I personally dry all my leaves, soak them in hot water for 1-2 days, then feed my shrimps. Alternatively, some hobbyist prefer feeding green leaves, and boil them to soften them up. Ditto with the various kale, perhaps give them a little and see how they go. Kale isn't a sappy plant, so I don't see and issues. Appreciate of ou could report your findings here :-)

Thanks for that. I will let you know. I only have a few leaves left on the mulberry so ill try fresh and will dry and re-soak also. Kale and chard I have heaps so i will try a few different methods, see which they prefer and also last longer and let you know. :) I grow everything organically with no chemicals used so that side of things should be all good.

Ben

I got a couple of baby kale leaves off a friend (dont know what type but was green).

I washed it well and blanched in hot water for a few mins before weighting in the bottom of the tank.

They are very interested but dont eat much for the first 24 hours, after that its obviously softened enough and gets monstered, all you might have left is some stem bits.

• HOF Member

I was told to put them in the car so I put a heap in a pillow case and left them in the car for a week in the back window and they dried beautifully no mould at all. The shrimp eat the leaves right down to the veins.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have put some green mulberry leaves in the freezer, and found a few dry ones. I will see if the shrimp have a preference. I will try freezing some rainbow chard and see if they like that.

I also was wondering if people had any thoughts on leaf colour for the rainbow chard. As the stems/veins are many different colours (red, pink, yellow and white) and some leaves are green and some varieties are quite red in the leaf, if this may enhance the colours of the shrimp. Redder cherries fed red leaves and stem, and maybe yellower cherries fed yellow stemed chard. I cant test this really as I only have one tank atm. any thoughts?

How do u dry the leaves BB

Had a old glass tank, dump the leaves and stirred it up every week or two...did cover the tank to ensure no insects/spiders got in... and just dried them the natural way. Didn't want to put them in a damp/no sunlight area for fear of mould etc....

I've used Kale (green one) tore off a piece and slowly poured boiling water over for 20-30 secs then rinse under cold water anchore it with rock and in 2 days it's void of greeny. The Mulberry I'll try when the tree behind me gets leaves close enough to the fence. ;)

Wow you guys go to a lot of trouble, I just pick the mulberry and IAL up off the ground and through them in, same as any veg leaves I use, I just throw it in.

My view is if the water is good and the critters are healthy it won't bother them and I have not had any die.

Bob

Where is the best place to buy mulberry leaves.
\

Just go pick them :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Bob is the umbrella tree we have here the same family as the IAL in one of our threads the umbrella tree was mentioned and I asked if it was safe but no response. So the IAL you pick up off the ground what tree is that- please keep it simple I don't know the botanical names. You would think I would I did latin as a language at school but the brain cells can't remember that far back in the dark ages:D

• HOF Member
\

Just go pick them :encouragement:

we are not all lucky enough to have those trees growing in our area.

Not sure if they sell them everywhere, but you can buy them from Bunnings...

Bob is the umbrella tree we have here the same family as the IAL in one of our threads the umbrella tree was mentioned and I asked if it was safe but no response. So the IAL you pick up off the ground what tree is that- please keep it simple I don't know the botanical names. You would think I would I did latin as a language at school but the brain cells can't remember that far back in the dark ages:D

They are Indian Almond Trees or Terminalia Catappa, only ever use leaves that have fallen naturally as the sap in the leaves you pick from the tree is toxic :victorious:

If you find a tree just do what I did & pull a seedling out of the ground when the almonds drop :encouragement:

IAL Indian almond won't grow down south but Mulberries will and any of the Mulberries are OK Black, White and I can not think of the name of the giant?

Umbrella tree? I see shrimp eating all sorts of leaves in the wild so try an experiment and find out. So long as they are fallen most are going to be fine as the toxins are drawn from the leaf. I would not wash any leaves in a experiment to much so you know for sure, I also would not experiment with expensive shrimp.

I pick up the fallen leaves form the Mulberry in the back yard and they are gone fast and really exciting thing for me is Neritina snails are getting into them as well, I also bring home leaves from some creeks to feed to my shrimp, but you have to look at them carefully as you never know what preditor is lurking in them.

Bob

Ineke I believe any of the Autumn colour trees are OK and you should have them in your area to stock up on? OR if you are nice to me one day I might post you some and I am safe there cause you wont be nice to me LOL :smiley_simmons:

Bob

• HOF Member

Bob I have been ultra nice to you many times ,I've even stopped bidding on the shrimp so you can win them :DThank you for your offer. Squiggle sent me a good lot of mulberry leaves recently so I have some in stock but next door has a very large umbrella tree and it's leaves are just like the IAL I ordered from overseas. I don't know if I have any shrimp I'd be game to try them on until I do another cull but will keep them in mind to try.:encouragement:

I have read on many sites that OS hobbyists like to use oak leaves, and that shrimps favourite are the peach leaves...

Used to have a mulberry tree next door but it was culled when the new house went in. I have plenty of bamboo I must try those? Anyone use them?

Used to have a mulberry tree next door but it was culled when the new house went in. I have plenty of bamboo I must try those? Anyone use them?

Only the charcoal ones as shrimp caves...has anyone tried peach leaf? Some swear it is like chocolate for shrimp! Their all time favourite.

I know some one that grows Peachs I will get some and try, shrimp chocolate way to go.

Ineke you bit again, I know you are nice to me, if you want some IAL let me know, umbrella?? may not be worth it with so many others around.

I think Bamboo would be OK as I have seen ponds of plants and fish under Bamboo and everything was fine.

Shahtoot was the other Mulberry I was thinking of.

Bob