Fluval Edge Modification - Attention Sprae

BlueBolts

Given a Fluval Edge today, as my client was planning to throw it out as the filter pump wasn't working ! Absolutely perfect, as I was planning to upgarde my son's tank (currently a 3 lt Leo Tank !!!), and would have gotten rid of the pump/filter anyway ...

post-29-139909857289_thumb.jpg

Sprae, recalled you did some extensive modification to yours, can you advise the do & don't of your modification, and/or what's the best way to modify this tank to have a kick ass filter system/set-up ?

Tahnks

post-24-139909856816_thumb.jpg

how could you get rid of such a awsome tank! lol

i think you could get replacement parts for them maybe ask age of aquariums?

your son will love it!:D

Yeah, like winning a major prize ! Don't need any replacement part...want to over filter so perhaps a Eden 501 or 511...jsut waiting for Sprae's advise, as he went through some extensive modification etc, and would know this tank inside & out ....

I'm all ears mate. What do you need to know? What shrimps are you thinking of having in there?

First of I'd check what version of the Edge you got. Does it have halogen lights or LED? There's a ton of light mods for this tank, plus an upgraded LED official parts as well.

http://www.amazingamazon.com.au/aquarium-melbourne/aquariums-melbourne/fluval-edge/fluval-edge-led-light-replacement-912.html

Definitely use the Eden 501 or get 2! I'd check if you're thinking of adding a chiller then you'd need a minimum 2213 filter to push the flow through a mini chiller. Shoot me more question ;)

Awesome! I have been thinking of getting one of these for a while, but trying to save money so havent got one... yet! Sprae, what are these mini chillers you speak of?

Sprae' date=' what are these mini chillers you speak of?[/quote']

There's a few mini/nano chillers in the market. But I'm going for compressed refrigeration types, for better cooling.

- JBJ Mini-Arctica

- Hailea 130a

These 2 fits my budget and I can meet basic requirement for flow rate.

Hey Sprae, the edge is the one with the 10W halogen lights. Thinking of the Eden 501, with a 7W UV steriliser. The void left from the hang on filter, any practical use? Or just tubes, cords etc...

I use the resun CL-150, which is a chiller an heater !

The void left from the hang on filter' date=' any practical use? Or just tubes, cords etc...[/quote']

If I were you, I'd remove the HOB to have the space for 2 cannister with lily pipes and intakes :)

The whole light unit can be replace with the new LED ones. I'm going to upgrade mine too. CL-150 is nice too.

Oops...sorry, meant to say CL-85..., the CL-150 is a chiller unit only.

Havent even tried out the 2x10w halogen...is the motivation for the upgrade to LED for the plants or shrimp or both. Will thinker with it tomorrow.

Any mods made to the tank lid.....seems painful having to lift th entire top off to feed ... (I'm sure I'll get over it though...LOL)

The halogens are way too weak. Also increases water temp slightly. The new led lights are much brighter for both plants and shrimps.

The top lid is a good thing BB. Keeps the bugs out while giving the illusion of fully filled & enclosed tank.

The biggest challenge is that small neck opening. I'd plan and finalise all subscapes before adding any shrimps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sprae, did you consider changing the transformer to accept 2 x 20W lamps instead of the 2 x 10W ? This should give enough illumination ?...not looking to use it as a planted tank......heat transfer maybe an issue though, thus LED's are always great with nano tanks !

Never crossed my mind as the neck constraint for any light mods will still centred the light to focus mostly in the middle. That's why I got 2 LED nano light panels on both side of the enclosure to cover it with light.

I think I've managed to have a tank loaded with 8 types of mosses and growing well :)

General illumination in the middle would suit my setup well...so may attempt this 1st..... the site you posted for the LED modification also sells LED replacement globes that suits the existing transformer, and claims to give a brighter illumination....may try that 1st !

General illumination in the middle would suit my setup well...so may attempt this 1st..... the site you posted for the LED modification also sells LED replacement globes that suits the existing transformer' date=' and claims to give a brighter illumination....may try that 1st ![/quote']

Cool! Can't wait to see your set up on this nano tank BB. Please post a thread on how you set up a this tank :)

Hi Sprae, have you ever considered the coolworks microchiller. The iceprob is installed within the Aquaclear 20, which I believe is the stock std hangon filter for the fluval edge.

http://www.marinedepot.com/CoolWorks_Microchiller_Micro_Nano_Aquarium_Chillers-CoolWorks-CW1131-FICHMC-vi.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/CoolWorks_Proportional_Temperature_Controller_(Iceprobe)_Micro_Nano_Aquarium_Chillers-CoolWorks-CW1113-FICHMC-vi.html

Appreciate the filter capacity may not suit TB's/CRS... but in the mean time, added this modification to enhance the filter/bacteria count .....

post-29-139909857508_thumb.jpgpost-29-139909857513_thumb.jpg

Perhaps more frequent water changes........saltyshrimp GH+, Oxidator...may be ample .... what do you think ? Can cosmetically hide the tube ...etc

Considered buying the probe and temp controller 2+ years ago, but perhaps it is now time...... compact, and a different technology, which I like !

All comments most welcome ....

post-24-139909845956_thumb.jpg

post-24-139909845959_thumb.jpg

Definitely thought about it. The problem is it's still only element cooling, not refrigerated compress gas cooling. This means the temp pull down will be less effective. Also the cost with controller can easy cover a good chiller anyway.

BTW, love the sponge filter on the intake. I'm using pre-filter sponges for both of my filters too.

Yeah, my No. 2 consideration is looks, and to have it all as stealth as possible.....No.1 being the WP and it's inhabitants. In this case setup cost is No. 3, runnings cost is No. 4.

Anyone used the ice probe ?

• 2 weeks later...

Been almost 4 weeks, and haven't progressed much on the tank. Been undecided on the modification of the lighting, degree of filtration, chilling options etc,

Modification done..

Lighting

Got a transformer to accept 2 x 20W globes (6500k) from the original 2x10W. Observed that this would potential increase the water temp by 2-4 degrees (due to the hood and close approximity to the water. Considered the ice prob (see pic attached-coincidentally this unit fit's the edge), mini chiller, but decided against it ATM. Have ordered LED globes ($19) to replace the 20W.

post-373-139909846117_thumb.jpg

Filter

Considered a Eheim 2211, Eden 501/511, but decided to maintain the orginal hang on filter ATM......this tank is going to my son's room, so will get him more aquainted with water changes and management ! Only modification is that I place a sponge on the inflow pipe.

Substrate

Aimed to have a inert substrate, as the original plan was to have a alkaline tank, with added Salty Shrimp, and totally controll the minerals/WP...Chose pool filter sand for this, due to it being inert and white !

Aquascaping

As with ALL my tanks, the idea of a minimalistic tank always appeals, BUT it always end up crowded with moses, caves, driftwood etc..... so decided to keep to the minimamalistic theme (try anyway...)

This is the tank now (sorry, not sure why the image is upside down....)....Planning to add a similar shape driftwood to the RHS.

post-428-139909857559_thumb.jpg

Option 1 - Completely cover the ground with a carpet, and leave the rock & driftwood (to be added) as is ...

Option 1 - Leave the ground as is, but moss the rock and driftwood (to be added)

All opinions, suggestion, improvements and advise MOST welcome...

Thanks in advance !

post-24-139909846025_thumb.jpg

post-24-139909846028_thumb.jpg

You guys are absolute geniuses!!!! This is the sort of stuff I think about everyday but u guys are talking about it and pics too!!!! Btw I love the sponge intake.

this tank is going to my son's room' date=' so will get him more aquainted with water changes and management !

[/quote']

+1 on good parenting! GO daddy power!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestion....after considering all the modification, technology and potential , I've decided to create a "simple" tank to ensure it doesn't get too overwhelming for my son etc..

post-24-13990984616_thumb.jpg

Used a spare eden 501, glass Lilly pipe, and awaiting the the led globe replacement as the existing halogen heats up the tank by 4-5 degrees ! Imagine the damage it'll do in summer !!!

So ended up to be a simple/boring setup, and will build on the technology as it matures (tank and my son!)

Inhabtants, will probably be a mixture of coloured cherries ? Or Sunkist which is his fav ?

Thanks

post-24-139909846073_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally moved the tank with its new inhabitant to my sons room... Shrimps settling well, decided on a multi coloured cherry shrimp colony.

.post-514-13990984641_thumb.jpg

Just saw this nano chiller on eBay....anyone use or have any comments on it....

post-514-139909846413_thumb.jpg

Voltage AC 110v / 50mhz

Wattage 100W

Tempreture Setting 24~32C / 75.2~90 F

Water tube size Internal Dia. 8mm / 0.3 inch

Water Flow 180L/H max

Delivery Head Below 3M

Power cord length 1.5m

Thermo sensor length 2m

Dimension 22*21*16 cm

Weight 3kg

This chiller require to use with cansiter filter.

Thanks

post-24-139909846157_thumb.jpg