Zebra Shrimps - Doomed ?

BlueBolts

Just received Bob's Zeb's, my 2nd attempt. 1st attempt failed 12+ months ago......WP has PH @ 5.5 and TDS @ 80ppm...... All my tanks are 160-220ppm.

Anyone keep Zeb's succesfully at PH 7 and 200ppm ?

Hi Marcus

I have kept them at 7 to 7.4 but not 200ppm, 100ppm yes they were fine.

By the way you frightened me when I spotted that headline LOL

Bob

My TDS IS 120 and PH is 6.8 so hopefully they will be fine. 24 hours and they seem happy enough.

Thanks for the responses, sorry Bob, just felt I let the shrimps down.... Changing my WP on a tank ATM, and will get the TDS down to 100ppm.....anyone else besides Bob, bred them yet ? What was the WP ?

Thanks for the responses' date=' sorry Bob, just felt I let the shrimps down.... Changing my WP on a tank ATM, and will get the TDS down to 100ppm.....anyone else besides Bob, bred them yet ? What was the WP ?[/quote']

BB, your slipping, adjusting wp after the fact, that's not the BB I know, maybe you have too many shrimp, I will take your blue cherries of your hands so you can cope mate? Wouldn't do it for just anyone ya know?

Thanks ninja...TDS of 80ppm, was absolutely out of my expectations. Yeah, pretty slack of me, letting those lot zebra down :cower:. You didn't call for 1st DIBS, so you snooze you loose ! :p

• HOF Member

Nobody else called for first dibs:confused: so Ninja wins:congratulatory:

LOL, c'mon ineke, before ninja, you use to be on my side :sorrow:

Another WP that freaked me out was that the KH & GH were both <1 ........they're living in almost pure water ? Just finished adjusting the tank down to 100 ppm, GH/KH <2-3, and acclimatised them....so hopefully all will be GREAT tomorrow morning. :positive:

• HOF Member

BB I was always on your side but I have to stick up for girl power:triumphant:

Well, great news, no casualty. Got the TDS down to 110ppm, GH & KH <3.... Removed the 2 mineral balls, and aim to get the water as pure as I can. On the Zebra thread, Bob noted GH/KH <1, wonder if GH is maintained at 4-5, whether its colours will improve and/or become more vibrant ! Definitely worth a experiment ...

• HOF Member

Congratulations see you aren't a shrimp killer after all!!!!!;)

Well' date=' great news, no casualty. Got the TDS down to 110ppm, GH & KH <3.... Removed the 2 mineral balls, and aim to get the water as pure as I can. On the Zebra thread, Bob noted GH/KH <1, wonder if GH is maintained at 4-5, whether its colours will improve and/or become more vibrant ! Definitely worth a experiment ...[/quote']

Thats Great Bluebolts! I wish you all the best with them!

I have had mine in for a few days now. They came in water that was around 50ppm and ph of 6.4. I was able to match the water perfectly before I put them in and they are doing great! fingers crossed! I will slowly be moving there water down to 17ppm.

Pictures worth a thousand words!

The day I got them:

20130605_113741.jpg

Today:

20130605_190835.jpg

They are beautiful little shrimp! We are so lucky to have such magnificent natives here in Australia.

Awesome stuff guys, good luck everyone with these gorgeous natives, they are my favourite :victorious:

Several of my zebs didn't make it, issues with TDS (140), and GH 3, I suspect...tanks only 1-2 months old, and on inspection realise 50% of the LED bulbs have ceased, so fortunately had a spare 2 foot LED light...

Before

f779b7ce575ffc29b39ce5a5acc2d72d.jpg

After

1b817f5d-9f2c-4d60-929f-a405a3c1d0ec.jpg

Hopefully this will increase the biofilm etc.....anyone with similar TDS/GH and a striving population ?

My TDS is around 120 and GH is 3 from memory. I'll recheck GH tomorrow. I've lost 3 of the zebs I got so far. The others seem to reasonably happy so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks JohnH, noticed that several deaths seemd to be moulting issues, and as they originate from <1 GH, I'm suspecting GH 3 will cause issues ?

Mine are in my rack system with my cherries, so I have to hope a few will be able to adapt.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive finally killed my last zeb :crushed: .... I'll stick with exotic shrimps :beaten:

I have mine in ph 6.4 kh 1 gh 6 and tds of 200 without a issue

3 or 4 females are due to berry up very soon :)

Sorry to hear about the losses, I am really fond of these shrimp and was gutted when mine gradually dropped off after a few months in my tank. Since my Blackmore River shrimp are doing so well with their system I would be tempted to try the zebs in their tank, but I know the temp would not be to the zebs liking since the Blackmores are a NT shrimp and wanting warm water. This weekend I will make a determined effort to track down my Barney Springs shrimp and double check for any berried females or better yet offspring. I am hoping if these guys are another zebra and can adapt to tank life (well my tanks) then I could try reintroducing the striped zebras and see about crossing the two to breed in hardiness to tank conditions.

I have mine in ph 6.4 kh 1 gh 6 and tds of 200 without a issue

3 or 4 females are due to berry up very soon :)

Thats promising. How long have you had them in the tank?