Hello - my introduction

amkr

Hi,

My names mark.

I've only just started getting back into the aquarium hobby in the last 2 months. It began with a rescape of my 2ft tank to make it a bit more aesthetic and house some plants and a few other interesting fishes.

So I setup a small spare tank to hold my 3 neons and BN while I renovated the tank, it got some nice rocks, a carpet of HC and a few other miscellaneous plants.

Then I discovered shrimp... I got given 10 RCS to kick things off and 3 days ago, these got moved into the 2ft main tank, along with the neons. So far they seem happy and are grazing on the HC and rocks, it's really entertaining to sit and watch them interact with an environment you've created!

This morning my girlfriend had a mini hear attack when she thought one of my larger shrimps had died, I had a look and it appears I've got my first moult. Having only read about them and never actually seen one, I can now understand my girlfriends panic :p they do look alot like dead shrimp.

Heres some obligatory photos

Shrimps getting dripped in

1369522701625.jpg

1369522668045.jpg

Shrimp sitting on a rock.

1369534776126.jpg

I'm hoping to introduce some CRS to the tank once I've got a better understanding of their requirements.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark!

Welcome to the forum! Great first post :) your tank is looking good! I think we've all had that panic when we first saw a moult!!

The forum will open up the more you post or alternatively once you can buy premium membership and it will open up instantly :)

Hey Mark, welcome to the forum, as many people will agree, shrimp are very addictive & you will find that those ten shrimp will be the most expensive freebie you've ever received, hahaha. :smiley_simmons: You're tank looks awesome & the shrimp are nice too. :encouragement: I totally understand you your panic as the moult can be deceiving. :dejection: Hope you have as much fun here as we do :victorious:

funny-gifs-stop-doing-that_zpse83a3ed1.gif

Welcome to the forum Mark. I really like the overhang you've created in your tank. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Thanks guys,

Im kind of excited about the moult because I've got 2 that are saddled and I understand that they will breed after their next moult. So fingers crossed they do.

I've got a few little niggles with the setup at the moment that I need to sort out.

First is the Eheim pro 3e canister is blowing a small whirlpool in the tank, I've placed a bit of hose in the path to slow the velocity a bit but I've got to come up with a more aesthetic solution. I think it may be because I've got the outlet stepped down to 13mm and the lilly pipe has quite a small opening. Might have to find a bigger one.

Second is the DICI solenoid was making a buzzing noise this morning when I woke up. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it seemed to come good, maybe it got stuck or something. I'm not sure, but i'll have to monitor that one.

Welcome to the forum :), you definately got a good colored RCS, juts be careful the neons dont take nips at the shrimplets when you get them :).

I really like the arching in the rocks in that tank

Thanks,

Theres about 4 that have that red intensity, I believe they are all the females. Some of the males are a bit less vivid and around 3 just have some feint red lines and are mostly transparent. The feint ones are a bit smaller though so they may be juviniles still developing, will have to wait and see :)

the $12.50 or whatever it is will be the best money you ever spent in the shrimping hobby, the amount of information and sales on other parts of the forum and well worth it :)

Welcome to SKF Mark. Love the aquascape on your 2ft tank :)

Good job Mark, it'll be the best $12.50 you've ever spent :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Hi amkr welcome to SKF. Nice looking tank . Hope you enjoy our forum

there certainly is ALOT of stuff here, I'm loving the plant section :p

Hello mark, love your scape, hope you have a great time on our forum SKF ENJOY!

Hello Mark! Welcome on the forum!

Your tank looks fantastic! :encouragement: Please share more photos!