Peroxide Dipping

al4n

Hey Guys,

I have a few ferns/swords with major bba growth and i was looking at dipping them, just wondering what water to hydrogen peroxide solution you used and worked without them melting?

Cheers

Alan

I have had success removing clado from flame moss with a 2min dip in 1% peroxide. Mind you my first attempt was 5 mins in 3% and it killed the algae and the moss!

I took a much heavy handed approach, and used a 50% solution, squirted 2-3 drops directly at the problem area, and with a trim or two, it eventually disappeared. Don't advise doing what I do, as it can knock out your good Bacteria if you're not careful.... Aquathumb's resolution sound perfect !

I have had success removing clado from flame moss with a 2min dip in 1% peroxide. Mind you my first attempt was 5 mins in 3% and it killed the algae and the moss!

Swords and ferns (assuming java fern?) are tougher than mosses and can handle a higher concentration, so the 5min at 3% might be no problem.

With BBA, you can turn off all your pump and filter, and spot dose any plant/moss with seachem excel. Use a small turky blaster or syringe. Within 24 hours BBA will turn red and less then a week it will disappear.excel will only kill BBA . For clado or long hair algae, I do the same procedure but I use 35% peroxide. With peroxide you can see lots of bubbles coming out of the area you just applied.

With BBA' date=' you can turn off all your pump and filter, and spot dose any plant/moss with seachem excel. Use a small turky blaster or syringe. Within 24 hours BBA will turn red and less then a week it will disappear.excel will only kill BBA . For clado or long hair algae, I do the same procedure but I use 35% peroxide. With peroxide you can see lots of bubbles coming out of the area you just applied.[/quote']

be careful with a few of the mosses ive completely killed some of my mosses in the past from spot dosing excel...

ive spot dosed some clado or hair algae in the past and its disappeared

Do you find that some mosses are more resistant to the effects of peroxide/excel and what harms them more, peroxide or excel?

• 2 weeks later...

Excel only kills BBA and peroxide can kill the other algaes such as long hair and clado. Some mosses is more sensitive to spot dosing so it is best to try on a small section first and wait about a week to see if plant/moss is ok.

I had good results from the dip, it has taken over 1 week for the algae to die off. The ferns didn't seem to be affected

Ferns and plants are strong, it's the mosses and mini plants that are sensitive.

• 3 weeks later...

I've peroxided my BBA, and it has turned bright red and slowly died off.

My question is, what happens when it does?

Does it fall off? If so is there a chance it will grown back from the dead spores?

Im guessing it rots away and disappear. But you need to change your setting otherwise it will appear again