sending shrimp in winter

JonX

With summer now gone with the challenges of shrimp getting cooked when sent in the mail winter is coming.

I was wondering how we could post shrimp without them getting frozen.

Current night time temperatures are 8degrees and getting lower.

8 degrees?? you can bang that one LOL 16c is to cold LOL

If you use a Polly box that helps, BUT they nearly all ride on a freight air craft if going inter state, that is not warmed so they get dam cold, sitting around a post office or freight depot has no comparison to that.

Using heat packs NA, one big problem with them! they require oxygen to work so once they use up the air in you box they slow then stop and if you are relying on breather bags, it defeats the purpose because the air is used up, that one I know for a fact from working for a Fish importer and having a Quarantine room my self, when you open the boxes from OS the heat packs are the same temp as the box, when they have contact with air again the warm up. mind you they have a short life span, we use to open some heat packs in winter to put in our boots to warm up, if we were out side they would last about 2 hours, foot odder may have done them in LOL.

The best way is a poly box lined with a few layers of news paper, news paper works well, (homeless on the park bench!!)

Bob

I use to get a lot of Betta and I noticed they would punch a small hole in the lid of polybox and tape the heatpack to inside of lid therefore oxygen is constantly supplied.

Aquarium fish wholesalers will have them, If they will sell a couple is another thing. May be try and OS fish seller?

Bob

Where do you get these heat packs?

The IBC(International Betta Congress) website shop sells them, Betta breeders all over the US use them to send fish to shows all the time, especially in winter. There is also an online store in Brisbane who sells them :encouragement:

Where do you get these heat packs?

Dean may be able to help you why not ask him? You never know if you don't ask!