Sign in to follow this  
simont

Hello there. Another one onboard the shrimp obsession

simont

Hi

It's nice to see a dedicated shrimp forum in Oz. It seemed due after seeing things unfold from afar.

Anyway l'm new to the hobby since the start of the year. I've kept fish in the past but found them boring compared to these little shrimp. I found myself staring at them as much as l can. :couple_inlove:. Called it obsession, love whatever!

Currently l'm keeping low grade CRS in a nano tank. They have popped out a few higher grades, but mostly lower grade. Recently l just got hold of some native shrimp (DRNS, DAE and some others which l don't know names of) which are interesting too. Unfortunately l just lost a couple of yellow cherries l got from Dean. First loss was unexplained and the next a fortnight later after changing the carbon and adding purigen. I also lost some shrimplets due to this. Lesson learnt.

Hope to learn more and contribute when l can as l'm no expert.

Cheers

Simon

wayne6442

Hi Simon Welcome aboard,be prepared for many many hours of just staring and staring at your "TANKS" you will soon be much happier doing this than watching TV Enjoy!

Heavyd

Welcome mate. I too am obsessed lol

Incidentally, I don't think the purigen is responsible for the shrimp deaths. I use it in one of my shrimp tanks with no problems.

fishmosy

Hey simont, welcome to the forum.

Sprae

Welcome Simon! I've got purigen in my filters as well and it's not a problem at all. I know many here have purigen or other chemical media in their filters too without issues.

Gbang

welcome to the forum! i agree purigen is the bomb and removes nitrates i do not believe it would kill your shrimp. hopefully we as a collective can help you with your shrimp problems :)

simont

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I've left the purigen in there with the new carbon and things settled after about 3 days. They were all very sluggish during that time and I was rather nervous. Maybe it was too many elements changing at once. Forgot to mention l changed the small piece of wool too.

Sprae

I think any big changes has impacts to your shrimp well being. Change filters or big water changes all add to causes of deaths.

NoGi

Welcome to Shrimp Keepers Anonymous :victorious:

• Like 1

Dean

Hi Simon, sorry to hear about the yellows mate, that sux!!

well you have come to the right place to learn and get advice about shrimp

as there are quite a few helpful people here.

welcome to SKF :)

Loach

Welcome to SKF Simon :)

Your house will soon be overrun by shrimp tanks lol