Not exactly a shrimp

Baccus

No I don't eat Turtles, the Snails are to feed the turtle

Your little guy is a Cherax depressus, you can see the colour on the tip of the claw starting, I was told about a Black population recently.

Bob

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baccus

• northboy

• Squiggle

• ineke

Top Posters In This Topic

All black with an orange claw? Sounds nice.

Not exactly a shrimp

Makes me miss my blue mountains crayfish I got from wentworth falls. Never worked out where it escaped to from the tank I kept it in. I was kindly given a replacement and then re-escape proofed the tank only to have it pull a Steve McQueen and get away too... Sneaky buggers but really nice when colored up!

Thankfully this little guy is in one of the two only tanks I have with a complete hood and that so far he's been happy to stay put. I did have a couple of red claws at one time in an old bath tub, I made sure that the water was well below the lip to stop escapees but they still got out. My Dad discovered them as he headed out to his car parked on the side of the road to go to work. He came back inside to inform me that "your yabbies are walking down the gutter". How the crows didn't get them before me is beyond me, but back in the tub they went with a bit less water and a wire lid to make sure they stayed in the tub.

Thankfully this little guy is in one of the two only tanks I have with a complete hood and that so far he's been happy to stay put. I did have a couple of red claws at one time in an old bath tub' date=' I made sure that the water was well below the lip to stop escapees but they still got out. My Dad discovered them as he headed out to his car parked on the side of the road to go to work. He came back inside to inform me that "[b']your yabbies are walking down the gutter". How the crows didn't get them before me is beyond me, but back in the tub they went with a bit less water and a wire lid to make sure they stayed in the tub.

This made me laugh so hard, hahahaha! :D

It was rather funny to see them strolling down the gutter, heading off to pastures new :tears_of_joy:

I have this mental images of some yabbies just casually strolling down to the road, i'm sitting in the office trying so hard not to laugh!!

I can almost see them with a little stick slung over their shoulder with a red and white spotted hanky holding their worldly possessions :tears_of_joy:

Here is another photo of my little guy. P1010120_zps266b2641.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just got some new photos of my little yabby (I think its a she, so I call her she), she just shed yesterday and has grown quite a lot in the time I have had her. P1010559_zps2682078b.jpg P1010562_zps653f42ae.jpg P1010564_zpsfeb9f630.jpg

• HOF Member

Very cute little girl I love her colour and yes she has grown quickly:D

Very cool, she definitely has grown, she'll be humungusour in no time! :victorious:

I am hoping that Bob is right and she stays around the 7-10cm mark any bigger and she may need a new home. Even though its a job of hide and seek with her I am quite fond of her. maybe if she does stay small I will get her mate and see about trying to breed these guys. Being small they seem like good candidates for aquaria instead of the current monsters kept that destroy everything including each other in their tank.

Easy to breed and raise to. One of the guys up here is going to get a dwarf cray species under permit from the upper Tully river, its a cutey and then there is the iridescent ones I was shown last week WOW

Bob

Iridescent sounds great, any pictures? I wish the orange and black yabby that I have seen online from around Brisbane (I think it was) was being kept in aquaria its a real stunner. Can't find the page again I once did that had all the identified Queensland yabbies, it had some great prospects on there.

They like Crabs are much under rated.

No photos it was a print shown to me, but I do know and have been where they came from

Bob

• 1 month later...

Some updated pics of my little yabby, it seems to have slowed growing for now, unless it has another growth spurt when the weather warms up. I wouldn't mind getting a mate for it, since if its is a small yabby breed it will be good in tanks. P1010810_zpsbf423510.jpg P1010811_zpsb7ca1ab1.jpg

Looks very cool, love the colour! Hopefully you get a mate for it, would love to see some yabblets, lol :smiley_simmons:

The only way soon that I might be able to get my little guy or gal a mate is if Bob happens to get me one, and then able to post it to me. It is a lovely little yabby tho with subtle mottling, its just a shame its so timid and spends most of its time firmly wedged under its rock pile.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't actually got this one in with my other shrimp, only with one small macrobachium sp. that can avoid the yabby if needs be. I do have some large rams horn snails in the tank with the yabby and have noticed some empty snail shells, so I am suspicious that she/ he is eating the snails. The yabby gets fed every day but it does appear that snails might be an added bonus to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I got some more nice pictures of this little yabby she (well I guess its a she) is getting a lovely subtle blush of purple on her sides. She hates the flash on the camera, and is hard to photograph at the best of times. So most of the pictures are without a flash. I would like to try either some guppy fry with the yabby, or some other shrimp but I am not game to put any of my other native shrimp in the tank in case they become dinner. P1020086_zps281757a1.jpg P1020095_zpsaa8e1327.jpg P1020096_zps2a8bc903.jpg