Snails in my tank!

Steph2692

Found these snails in my tank and was wondering if they're a pest or not? There were a lot of pest snail in there but I set my clown loaches loose in there and they've gotten rid of most of them.. But yeah, never seen this type of snail before so don't know what it is..

post-3334-139909861515_thumb.jpg

Steph =)

post-1622-13990986023_thumb.jpg

They are in my tank, I just keep crushing them and the shrimps love them. They will get out of hand if you don't cull and compete for food.

Plus they can get pretty big with a very strong hard shell that I found with a couple I'd missed getting to the stage I couldn't crush them

at all with my thumb, really strong shell. Took them out, 5 seconds in hot water and dropped back in the tank to be eaten, didn't last long

• HOF Member

I thought the Ramshorn snails were ok. Just keep the numbers under control?

I personally like them, and in fact looking for some (anyone local have them ?) .... I think I see a planaria on the 1st pic...kill the bastard !

• HOF Member
I personally like them' date=' and in fact looking for some (anyone local have them ?) .... I think I see a planaria on the 1st pic...kill the bastard ![/quote']

are they not allowed to be shipped to WA.?

are they not allowed to be shipped to WA.?

Not sure.....they're quite common here, so just easier to have a local SKF member hand some over .... not desperate etc..., just whenever....although looking for some interesting native snail though.....

Haha hmm well if I can get them to you then they're yours BB (there is probably some more in there somewhere) if not then they are clown loach and shrimpy food =)

Steph =)

They are Ramshorn snails. The normal ones are brown but they come in a couple of different colour variations like yellow or blue.

I have the yellow ones in my tank too and I really like them.

I don't really understand why people want to get rid of them.

They eat algea and left over food and therefore help keeping the tank clean. Poor little Snailys. :(

• HOF Member

I have the reds and also some little conical ones but they do get out of hand quickly so every now and then they either get the squish treatment or go into the clown loach tank. But I do like them and I don't know how I got them. Must have hitch hiked on some plants.

I would like some blue ones to go with Deans blue cherries?

then if I could get some yellow ones too and cross, I might end up with an Eagle snail?

Its been so long I cant recall where my ramshorns came from but I am pretty sure in with plants. They can get large and their shells super tough, I have cut my fingers on large ones trying to crush them and my husband has resorted to using plyers to cruch really tough ramshorn shells. To be fair they do a pretty good job of helping clean up about the tanks, but once they have bred and bred and bred some more they can and will turn their appetites to your live plants. So far my Pakastani loaches and Dwarf chain loaches have made great inroads at keeping the snail numbers under some form of control. I know my corys other fish and shrimp all love eating freshly crushed snails but their is some debate about if this is a good health practice with regards to potential pathogens the snails maybe harbouring. The other main pest snail I have (aside from a rapidly depleting population of pond bladder snails) is MTS, Malaysian Trumpet Snails. To start with I didn't mind the MTS in the sand in my tanks, but man those things can breed and then they emerge like zombies to engulf any food dropped into the tank for the desired inhabitants. I keep waging wars on the MTS since the tank they are worst in only has corys, Borneo Suckers and threadfin rainbow fish. And even in my other tanks with Pakastani Loaches and dwarf chain loaches the MTS manage to avoid getting eaten. Well at least the large ones do, it appears a large Pakastani loach can mange small MTS without to many issues.

• HOF Member
I would like some blue ones to go with Deans blue cherries?

then if I could get some yellow ones too and cross' date=' I might end up with an Eagle snail?[/quote']

Multi coloured snails now! We should have themed tanks, what with blood vomit plants red cherries red snails wow .

• HOF Member

Oh Wow I didn't know they came in a rainbow of colours. Very impressive. Thanks:)

The colour morphs are pretty in the ramshorns. If you like those then you should also like the giant ramshorn, they have stripey shells. I don't think they are in Australia tho.

Stripey shell sounds good :) It's shame that there is so many things that we can't get here in Australia :(

I really like the blue and the white ramshorn snails. There is a new generation of "snailys" growing in my tank right now, maybe there will be some cool colours...they are too tiny too tell yet.

I'm planning to take the prettiest ones out and put them in my other tank. :encouragement:

Oh great you found a picture of one, I saw a thread on another forum where a person had a whole tank of them, they look a lot like a type of land snail I get around my yard.

Oh great you found a picture of one' date=' I saw a thread on another forum where a person had a whole tank of them, they look a lot like a type of land snail I get around my yard.[/quote']

They are the ones you put in soapy water, lol

Oh great you found a picture of one' date=' I saw a thread on another forum where a person had a whole tank of them, they look a lot like a type of land snail I get around my yard.[/quote']

Yes, I've got them in my garden too and I have a couple of empty shells in my tank (= pretend snails) :)

Putting them in soapy water???? What a waste! They are edible! (And I'm planning to test that one day!)