Feeding Newborns

Cookster

I was reading a thread on here the other day about what people provide for their newborn shrimp.

I am close to having several Cherries drop their little bundles of joy and would like to provide appropriate food for them.

Some were saying that powders are available to mix with water and squirt into the mosses etc.

Bee Pollen was one I remember in the list. Can someone please offer a few other choices or possibly direct me to the thread.

Cheers Ian

Love the Biozyme myself, always ensure I have some. Bee pollen is great as well but biozyme just seems better from experience. It will also

dissipate throughout your tank and not really a food you'll overfeed, particularly as all shrimps will eat it.

Thanks torface ... Genius :encouragement:

That was the thread I was reading... awesome!!

Love the Biozyme myself' date=' always ensure I have some. Bee pollen is great as well but biozyme just seems better from experience. It will also

dissipate throughout your tank and not really a food you'll overfeed, particularly as all shrimps will eat it.[/quote']

Cheers Davin ... So where do we purchase Biozyme, I am happy to give it a go seeing as it is recommended by the experienced... :)

Me too. There are australian suppliers but its about 3 times the price!

• HOF Member

Biozyme is great and powdered fish foods but don't forget soft vegies like spinach and kale, mulberry leaves, indian almond leaves- they all break down and go soft for the babies as well.

Cheers John and torface, I will check it out then... :)

Also thanks Ineke ... I thought the leaves you mentioned were for adult shrimp .... I just learnt 'another' something new .. cheers :encouragement:

Do be aware guys that importing it is illegal. If AQIS intercepts it you may get of with only a slight slap on the risks, but you could also face a $10,000 fine and if I

remember rightly up to 2 years in prison. Admittedly they don't do that most of the time but personally I wouldn't take the risk, just not worth it.

I'd suggest supporting one of your local fish shops where possible, otherwise one of the sponsors otherwise I've always brought

mine from Aquaristic here in Sydney, the guys are great.

I should also have said, the reason AQIS treats it so harshly is you're importing food, doesn't matter whether its for human consumption

or animals, fine is the same. Don't take the risk guys

Really? I didn't know this? I thought because it's factory sealed and in an unopened packet it'd be ok?

Hmmmm .... "Food" for thought... thanks for the heads up.

Genchem is coming out with some great products, I have used biozyme, biomax #1 (for juveniles) and have recently ordered polytase (bit more expensive than their other products so must be good right?) it is aimed at the just borns helping boost immune system, It also improves their metabolic digestive system and reduces ammonia and nitrite.

If you are looking to get some powders such as nettle, seaweed, barley, etc. than look here http://stores.ebay.com.au/daintreequalityherbs

Really? I didn't know this? I thought because it's factory sealed and in an unopened packet it'd be ok?

That is probably right. Importing food to Australia is not prohibited.

Factory sealed product are usually ok.

Only foods that are a risk and contain nuts or seeds' date=' meat or fish etc are a problem. But again, if it is factory sealed often it is still ok.

My mum sends food items to me quite regularly and the parcels almost always get opend. When there was things in there that were not ok, AQIS would contact me to ask wether wanted the item destroyed or treated.

I also often bring food items with me when travelling, I just declare the things when entering Australia and again. Usually packed and processed things are fine.

Here is a list of things that cannot be send to Australia.

[url']http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/mail/cant-mail

That is probably right. Importing food to Australia is not prohibited.

Factory sealed product are usually ok.

Only foods that are a risk and contain nuts or seeds' date=' meat or fish etc are a problem. But again, if it is factory sealed often it is still ok.

My mum sends food items to me quite regularly and the parcels almost always get opend. When there was things in there that were not ok, AQIS would contact me to ask wether wanted the item destroyed or treated.

I also often bring food items with me when travelling, I just declare the things when entering Australia and again. Usually packed and processed things are fine.

Here is a list of things that cannot be send to Australia.

[url']http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/mail/cant-mail

I've bought heaps of food stuff into Aus too (always sealed packets). It's all been declared and given the ok from customs so hopefully the biozyme will be too.

Nah even the sealed imported foods at my work are checked and tested by AQIS.

Sorry, Garnelchen is right, but it depends on the food. A lot of foods aren't allowed in, anything that contains products that may not have been cooked fully

and more importantly where all the ingredients are not listed in English. I've never had problems bringing food in when I declared it but shrimp foods often

don't list the products, or if it lists the likes of algaes and animals they won't allow. I brought a package of shrimp food once of Ebay, didn't realise it was

overseas as it was free shipping and I should have read it better. About a month later I had the Federal Police show up at my work place in regards to it. I

was shocked to say the least but showed the officer the auction and description as it was listed on the ebay.com.au site and showed as a local company

but in the fine print (which I didn't read) showed as coming in from Taiwan. I got of lucky, but I got a lot of flack from my colleagues about it, never a good

thing having the police show up in your office I can tell you!

I've bought heaps of food stuff into Aus too (always sealed packets). It's all been declared and given the ok from customs so hopefully the biozyme will be too.

The only issue I have had was when I purchased some IAL from overseas, I was notified by AQIS that either I pay a fee for tests to be done or it will be destroyed, the buyer contacted AQIS and paid for the checks as apparently a lot of his IAL had been stopped, it took a while to get through all the customs checks etc. but it was given the OK eventually.

IALs are okay, I was dumbstruck by this myself but brought in 200 a while back and still working through them. AQIS checked them and all was okay, I was

a sceptic about the process but the seller was excellent and all paperwork in check. The seller knew exactly what AQIS needed hence it wasn't an issue. I

would also say though, give AQIS a call. I won't import shrimp foods anymore myself, once bitten twice shy, at least not without checking with AQIS. And

for $22 it just as easy to buy local.

Sorry' date=' Garnelchen is right, but it depends on the food. A lot of foods aren't allowed in, anything that contains products that may not have been cooked fully

and more importantly where all the ingredients are not listed in English. I've never had problems bringing food in when I declared it but shrimp foods often

don't list the products, or if it lists the likes of algaes and animals they won't allow. I brought a package of shrimp food once of Ebay, didn't realise it was

overseas as it was free shipping and I should have read it better. About a month later I had the Federal Police show up at my work place in regards to it. I

was shocked to say the least but showed the officer the auction and description as it was listed on the ebay.com.au site and showed as a local company

but in the fine print (which I didn't read) showed as coming in from Taiwan. I got of lucky, but I got a lot of flack from my colleagues about it, never a good

thing having the police show up in your office I can tell you![/quote']

Feds for a packet of Shrimp food? Serious? You sure the "shrimp food" wasn't really just shrimp (some rare beauties) or some "shrimp dust"? LOL! With all the s@#t that is going on they chase someone over a packet of shrimp food, like they can't send someone else?

Damn, if i would've known, i wouldn't have bothered :( you've got me worried now...

Then again funny how they're so finicky about shrimp food but i know someone who was sent some "naughty cigarettes" without his knowledge and they arrived no questions asked!!!

All this info is awesome people... thank you :)

My wife went on a mission to the health food shop armed with a list of things to see if she could find them..

Came home with a small bag of Bee Pollen (far out $50 a kilo)

post-1666-139909850957_thumb.jpg

...and 200g of fine powdered Barley Grass ($29.99)

post-1666-139909850961_thumb.jpg

This should see me right for a while. :)

post-2255-139909849855_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909849858_thumb.jpg

Feds for a packet of Shrimp food? Serious? You sure the "shrimp food" wasn't really just shrimp (some rare beauties) or some "shrimp dust"? LOL! With all the s@#t that is going on they chase someone over a packet of shrimp food' date=' like they can't send someone else?[/quote']

Unfortunately yes, brought a pack of Mosura about 18 months ago. It was a shock to have AFP show up, spent about an hour with him, printed out

the entire auction details including the Paypal payment etc. Didn't get the food either, they offered to send it back or destroy, those were the only

options available. I considered it an expensive lesson and to read better in future.

All this info is awesome people... thank you :)

My wife went on a mission to the health food shop armed with a list of things to see if she could find them..

Came home with a small bag of Bee Pollen (far out $50 a kilo)

post-1666-139909850957_thumb.jpg

...and 200g of fine powdered Barley Grass ($29.99)

post-1666-139909850961_thumb.jpg

This should see me right for a while. :)

You won't even be able to finish it, I reckon! Should have bought smaller amounts of more variety...In the link I gave you earlier, they are Australian so no worries there, also plenty to choose from.