Tank dividers

torface

Sooo, I have a 3ft tank that's been sitting around for a month or so while i decide what I want to do with it. I know for sure that I don't want to set it up as is because I already have a display tank and this one has to go in the laundry room because of space/ powerpoint issues.

So i'm wondering if anyone knows if there is somewhere I can buy tank dividers? I've seen heaps of threads about making them, but that's pretty much out of the question as pretty much the only tool i own is an allen key!

Or maybe I should just sell it and look for a rack lol

I bought some stainless mesh sheet off eBay from the uk cut to size of my tank (well actually a few cm larger so I could cut it how I wanted.

Got a pair of crummy scissors and cut the mesh.

Bought some airline hosing and put that on the mesh by splitting it with a knife

Pretty easy process really.

The hamburgmatten filter is also a great idea though!

I saw those sheets on ebay but couldn't see any bigger than 30x30cm that they would post to Aus. The area inside my tank i need to divide is 36x35cm approx. Although not sure how high the water level would be yet

The hamburgmatten filter is also a great idea though!

I just googled this and it looks interesting! Pretty ugly though :P

There are a number of ways to do it, get the glass precut from the glazier & silicone it into place, get some perspex & do the same, as already mentioned, the stainless steel mesh which is a really great idea & Hamburg Matten. problems with each are(I'm not picking on any in particular, they all have their faults) , glass - have to get holes cut in the glass & silicone some mesh over the holes to get crossflow, perspex - can scratch easily & discolour, stainless mesh - not very strong, can easily be bumped & moved & the Hamburg Matten - I've found with my one that the oxygen supply on one side is lacking so I'm going to put a small sponge filter on that side to help add more oxygen, they aren'y very strong either so any bump will move everything & also the shrimp can climb over to the other side of the divider. Below is my Hamburg setup but as I said one side has low oxygen so an extra sponge filter is required :encouragement:

image-74_zps86faa0a8.jpg

image-74_zps9d9822f7.jpg

image-74_zpsf74ad433.jpg

I saw those sheets on ebay but couldn't see any bigger than 30x30cm that they would post to Aus. The area inside my tank i need to divide is 36x35cm approx. Although not sure how high the water level would be yet

There's a LFS in Brisbane that sells the sheets that would be big enough, I got mine for $20 :encouragement:

I have to say, I do like the idea of the Hamburg Mattenfilter. I just watched a video in youtube on how to make them and I think I might give it a go... Aren't the shrimps just as likely to climb ss mesh though? I could make it so the sponge reaches the lid and then the little blighters wont be able to escape :P Although, touch wood, i haven't had an escapee (that I know about) yet....I was planning to have a sponge filter in each section anyway so air wont be a problem. I cant quite tell from your photos but is the sponge filter pumping the water to the other side? Do you reckon i could just get some of the silicone tubing the same as what is on top of the sponge filter and run it directly to the other side of the divider?

There's a LFS in Brisbane that sells the sheets that would be big enough, I got mine for $20 :encouragement:
Does said LFS do mail order??

I have to say' date=' I do like the idea of the Hamburg Mattenfilter. I just watched a video in youtube on how to make them and I think I might give it a go... Aren't the shrimps just as likely to climb ss mesh though? I could make it so the sponge reaches the lid and then the little blighters wont be able to escape :P Although, touch wood, i haven't had an escapee (that I know about) yet....

I was planning to have a sponge filter in each section anyway so air wont be a problem. I cant quite tell from your photos but is the sponge filter pumping the water to the other side? Do you reckon i could just get some of the silicone tubing the same as what is on top of the sponge filter and run it directly to the other side of the divider?

Does said LFS do mail order??[/quote']

Yes, said LFS does do online ordering :encouragement: Yeah my sponge filter does pump the water to the other side, the third shot is the outlet of the sponge filter, I have two 45deg elbows diverting the air/water flow to the other side. You are right that they are just as likely to climb the SS mesh, I have got my sponge flush against the lid so they can't escape cause if they do they'll get eaten by the bettas, lol :victorious: I wouldn't use silicone tube, probably best to use PVC pipe or condute & put a piece of sponge or filter wool over the end. Another option is to get a small pump & have it pumping through silicone tubing to the other side :encouragement:

Hey squiggle, what ppi is that foam out of curiosity?

I had some which was ~30ppi and found it way too big and shrimplets would get stuck in the holes.

In the video i watched, they had a piece of pvc pipe with a 90 degree elbow. They drilled a hole in the elbow and fed the airline through and had an airstone at the bottom. I might have to visit my "favourite" shop (Bunnings lol) when im home and see what i can get and how much it'll cost.

Doing the SS mesh may be cheaper and easier though. Can you pm me the name of the LFS? I thought i knew who it was but i just checked and they dont have mesh on their website :)

If you can find a maker for the crimsafe screens that stuff is 316 I think. If you tell them its for a shrimp tank and not for security they generally give it to you pretty cheap.

Alternatively a glass cutting tool and curved snapping pliers are <$40 for the pair and with some off-cut glass you can divide the tank as many times as you want.

If you were in Sydney, I have all the tools for cutting glass you could use:(

If you can find a maker for the crimsafe screens that stuff is 316 I think. If you tell them its for a shrimp tank and not for security they generally give it to you pretty cheap.

Alternatively a glass cutting tool and curved snapping pliers are <$40 for the pair and with some off-cut glass you can divide the tank as many times as you want.

If you were in Sydney' date=' I have all the tools for cutting glass you could use:([/quote']

I'd still need to make some sort of hole so the water moves through though and that's just a whole new kettle of fish!

I have a friend with lots of tools in Brisbane but he's away till June :(

Is crimsafe mesh fine enough to stop shrimplets getting though?

In the video i watched' date=' they had a piece of pvc pipe with a 90 degree elbow. They drilled a hole in the elbow and fed the airline through and had an airstone at the bottom. I might have to visit my "favourite" shop (Bunnings lol) when im home and see what i can get and how much it'll cost.Doing the SS mesh may be cheaper and easier though. Can you pm me the name of the LFS? I thought i knew who it was but i just checked and they dont have mesh on their website :)[/quote']I use two 45deg elbows cause air doesn't travel well across a flat, also if you use electrical condute there are 90deg curved pieces which work very well. :encouragement: I thought you were talking about sheets of foam sponge not SS mesh, woops my bad! :cower: I'm sure someone like Crimsafe would have some, you might be able to get some free off cuts :encouragement:I'm not sure what ppi it is but I am concerned that shrimplets would get stuck, if not through to the other side. I am trying to get some finer sponge to fix this problem, just got to find a supplier :encouragement:

I'd still need to make some sort of hole so the water moves through though and that's just a whole new kettle of fish!

I have a friend with lots of tools in Brisbane but he's away till June :(

Is crimsafe mesh fine enough to stop shrimplets getting though?

I have all the tools if you need them & can cut the holes too :encouragement:

I thought you were talking about sheets of foam sponge not SS mesh' date=' woops my bad! :cower:

[/quote']

Oh whoops :P

I recently bought a big piece of coarse sponge for $12 :encouragement:

Hmmm decisions decisions!

I have all the tools if you need them & can cut the holes too :encouragement:

Oh cool! Which side of Brissy are you on? Although to be honest, it's probably a bit of a mission to drive all that way up there just to cut some tank dividers :S

Just googled the aperture of crimsafe and the holes are 1.5x1.5mm... pretty sure that's big enough for the little shrimpies to squeeze through...

Oh cool! Which side of Brissy are you on? Although to be honest' date=' it's probably a bit of a mission to drive all that way up there just to cut some tank dividers :S[/quote']

Southside & I'll do the holes too :encouragement:

Oh thanks heaps Squiggle :encouragement: Southside is fairly easy for me to get to!

I'll have a think about what i want to do and i'll let you know :)

I wonder what other DIY you could assist me with, lol :P

I'm not sure what ppi it is but I am concerned that shrimplets would get stuck' date=' if not through to the other side. I am trying to get some finer sponge to fix this problem, just got to find a supplier :encouragement:[/quote']

45 ppi poret foam from Swiss tropicals :)

Its not cheap but from what I have seen of the stuff its worth the extra cash.

Oh thanks heaps Squiggle :encouragement: Southside is fairly easy for me to get to!I'll have a think about what i want to do and i'll let you know :)I wonder what other DIY you could assist me with' date=' lol :P[/quote']Too easy, should be easy to sort it out for ya & yeah let me know any other DIY stuff, we can start some DIY threads, you can take the pics & I'll make the stuff, what a team, lol :victorious:I'll definitely be looking them up, cheers :encouragement:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stainless-Steel-Woven-Wire-80-Mesh-Medium-600mm-x-600mm-Special-eBay-Offer-/130888838024?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item1e79952b88&_uhb=1

thats what I use.

Takes about 2 weeks to get here.

I also want to use that sponge filter idea- but its 5cm thick. With 2 dividers that's 10cm- too much space taken for a 60cm tank.

@Johnny that size #80 the holes are way too small and clogs easily fi there is water flowing through! If you google the mesh company and go to their website you can buy all different sizes! I find the most suitable size is #28 or #30 or if the shrimplets are particularly tiny like some natives #40 also if you email them I am sure they can cut to different sizes although the A3 size is quite large and is what I use. #10 is great for tying moss etc. They are having a buy 2 get the 3rd free atm. Go to your bargain store and get yourself a cheap pair of tin snips I got one for $8 to cut the stuff.

You can get thinner pieces of foam it you want, but if you go too thin there won't be much strength in the dividers, there is a product that is thinner & more dense so there's less bending, just trying to find the name of it :encouragement:

You can get thinner pieces of foam it you want' date=' but if you go too thin there won't be much strength in the dividers, there is a product that is thinner & more dense so there's less bending, just trying to find the name of it :encouragement:[/quote']

the brand that you have does come in 3cm thickness but a lower ppi.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%20Filter%20Foam%20Pricelist.html

Chi, I just checked my ebay and I bought the size #40 to redo my current ss mesh dividers because the holes are big and shrimplets get through.