Up Aqua shrimp sand substrate

Ace027

I have done a brave (stupid) thing last weekend, I setup a new 2ft tank on Saturday, pour in the Up Aqua sand, add 24hr aged water, an established sponge filter from my african tank and a bunch of Subswassertang, after 18 hrs I added some 20 juvie CRS without testing the water or water change. Another 24 hrs have passed all the CRS are all alive and swimming actively and eating.

Ace

Ace, wotztha mutta wuth you! ;)

You're much braver than me. Let us know later in the week how the CRS are going. I hope they're just A grades.

2 things I wanted to prove here, If my CRS are hardy and if Up Aqua shrimp sand is underrated. Been using it for almost a year now and shrimps are doing well. And dont ask me about parameters, guess Im old school and just rely on what I know that works. And yeah they are A grades.

Ace

+1 for shrimp sand. Very underrated in my opinion.

Been using it ever since I set up my 20L nano (9 months or so) and I test my water frequently and it's never had a sign of any problems at all even from day 1. My pH is always sitting at 6.4 and even have plants in there doing quite well.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Ace

How are the shrimp going now? any loss?

My guesses is they all die :), j/k.

From what I've been reading up shrimp sand doesn't require a long time to cycle. Hence if your water is ready then the shrimps will be fine.

I personally have done the same with benibachi and Ada soil.

Love to know what happen thought :)

All CRS are all well and breeding now, I throw in a few more culls after a week, all are doing fine. Still no water change since setting it up.

Ace

All CRS are all well and breeding now' date=' I throw in a few more culls after a week, all are doing fine. Still no water change since setting it up.

Ace[/quote']

Sweet ass ace, any pic? Picture tell a thousand word :)

I did the same. I think i had my first shrimp tank running for all of 1 hr before me and mum just couldnt wait any longer and started bunging all the shrimp in.

I have been keeping red cherries and cbs my tanks the day they are setup. Have not lost any as of yet. I moved a setup and replanted last month with 2x female cbs and xx red berried with no worries. I have some photos in my topic My first Shrimp tank

• 2 months later...

One thing i have found with shrimp substrate is it grows plants realy realy well, just as good as aqua soils for planted tanks. I had aqua soil in my old planted tank and my son had shrimp substrate and after a month his plant growth was as quick and as good as mine..... It was amazing to see...

• 3 weeks later...
One thing i have found with shrimp substrate is it grows plants realy realy well' date=' just as good as aqua soils for planted tanks. I had aqua soil in my old planted tank and my son had shrimp substrate and after a month his plant growth was as quick and as good as mine..... It was amazing to see...[/quote']

Jacet..what brand of shrimp substrate your son was using, where and cost of bag ???...Really interested to know...CJ (shrimp noob)

• 3 weeks later...

Lets try this with KK :) jking.

A grade are generally less sensitive compare to higher grades.

i have try this with Ada I soil with A grade and it was all fine but when It comes to higher grade, it was a different story. I might be wrong thou