finally got that one more tank I need

ineke

• HOF Member

Well went out to buy another Nano but a 40 this time but me being a woman came home with something completely different. I got another Aqua one but a 70 litre this time. I spent another hour catching shrimp out of the little nano cube's sump this morning and thought no this is not good I don't want it to be a daily ritual of pulling the sump apart!!!! I find it funny the little beggars can get into the sump but can't find their way back. I have left them for a few days at a time but they don't climb out!!! I can't lower the water to stop it happening because the little pump runs dry so no more nanos for me!!!! Any ideas on how to stop it would be very welcome!!!

how exactly does the sump work on that tank do you have a pic ? ?

When i had a 2ftr i had a hailea internal filter and i packed the holes with filter wool and then i had a berried female climb into the gap where the flow adjustment switch was lol.

They are definately dedicated little buggers.

• HOF Member

the cube has a small built in sump sectioned off from the main area I have put some filter sponge in front of the intake but because the pump needs to be submersed and it cant go lower in the sump the water has to be fairly high so they can climb over even with the lids on. The other escape route is where I have an air line coming in they like to climb up and over that. Sitting here looking at it I think I need to make a false wall or top to stop it happening. I might try putting a plastic ruler reaching out over the water and see if that might block them and try a rubber grommet over the air line where it goes into the tank that might work- might have to make a plastic grommet not sure about rubber. Anyway will have a go at it tomorrow and see if I can outwit them. I don't hold out much hope they piggy back each other to try and get over!!!! It's only a couple that do it so not anything wrong with the water and definitely enough food. They just like to go a wandering!

The joys of a new tank and working out their issues :)

Hope manage to work it out :). Just convince hubby to let you buy a big 4ftr and dedicate it to shrimp :) tell him it will give you more stability in the water parameters :P

• HOF Member

The new tank is not a nano so it will be fine and its a 70 litre. I talked him into buying a big tank for the fish so I could have their 100 litre so when the fish go I will have a big 200 litre tank. Can't wish the fish harm though:( some of them can live for a LONG time!

• HOF Member

I will be setting it up tomorrow , have to make a wooden support to sit it on. Need to get some stones for it as well so will take a picture when it's done. Empty tanks look very sad!

• HOF Member

The stones are big to separate the substrate from the ADA in the corners. I'm setting it up for the rillis it was for the chocolates but Dean can't count so I've got far more rillis than chocolates . I've almost got a rainbow of shrimp now!

Awesome work Ineke, can't wait to see the new tank :smiley_simmons: For you other problem, I'd get some fine nylon/plastic mesh & silicone it into place, this would still allow great water flow :victorious:

• HOF Member

post-3161-139909860806_thumb.jpgpost-255-139909860809_thumb.jpg[ATTACH]2953[/ATTACH]post-277-139909850723_thumb.jpg

At last a picture of my new tank still a bit murky because I just filled it up. Now it was supposed to be for my Rillis but as I will now be getting CRS I have decided to make it their tank. It is much emptier of plants etc than I usually do but as I have been having so much difficulty seeing my shrimp I thought this would make them come out at least to eat.Hopefully tomorrow it will be nice and clear.

I have put my used Benibachi in as substrate , seeded the filter, put in a used sponge filter , used all the water from my original tank plus used new RO water with salty shrimp. The plants are also from other tanks so hopefully it should be safe for the new shrimp by nesxt Thursday when they come. If it hasn't cycled sufficiently by then I will just put them into existing tanks until the WP are correct. Will be putting some cherries in to help it along but will leave that until I do WP readings and know the cycle is there. I won't sacrifice any shrimp if I'm not sure of water quality but the old faithful Betta may be used.

post-1377-139909849686_thumb.jpg

post-1377-13990984969_thumb.jpg

Looks awesome Ineke, perfect breeding tank, not too much greenery to make it difficult to catch the little guys when needed but enough to provide a good biofilm. Why don't you put both the CRS & Rillis in there? They won't cross breed :encouragement:

• HOF Member
Looks awesome Ineke' date=' perfect breeding tank, not too much greenery to make it difficult to catch the little guys when needed but enough to provide a good biofilm. Why don't you put both the CRS & Rillis in there? They won't cross breed :encouragement:[/quote']

Awesome thought Squiggle I might pick a few out and see how they cope but I have enough room in the cube for the rillis

• HOF Member
Nice one. Those CRS will be very happy in their new home

Thanks John I hope they will be and I hope I can refrain from adding just a bit more greenery!

• HOF Member

Well tank is crystal clear this morning and Ammonia 0.25, Nitrate 5 so using all my existing water,plants and substrate has helped it to start the cycle quickly. Will leave it for today , check it in the morning and maybe add a shrimp or 2 to test the water. Very happy with that!

Awesome work Ineke, that's very good WP for the day after setup, as soon as the ammonia is zero you're set & ready to go, YAY!! :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Yes there's no point hurrying it . It will take as long as it needs. Plenty of room for the new shrimp in my other tanks. Now after doing some household chores i need to redo the tank I pulled down- I will cheat with that one too and do some small water changes in my tanks and add them to it plus the plants etc will come from setup tanks so it should cycle reasonably well. but again no real hurry- just making up my mind who is going in it as to what substrate and salty shrimp to use. Think it might have to be the yellows can't take the chance that the boys interfere with the chocolate girls- don't mind if the chocolates interfere with the yellows.

can't take the chance that the boys interfere with the chocolate girls- don't mind if the chocolates interfere with the yellows.

That's just wrong, lol :smiley_simmons:

• HOF Member

MMm prejudice you think????;):onthego: back to the floors

• HOF Member

New tank 0 ammonia this morning so have put 5 shrimp in and all seems good so far all other WP ideal so hopefully all set and ready to go for Brads CRS on Wednesday or Thursday can't wait:cheerful:

That's awesome news Ineke, I bet you're excited about your new arrivals, I certainly would be :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Thanks Squiggle I am just a tad excited. Don't think I could ask for anything more now I have a lovely assortment of shrimp in many shades now just sit back and enjoy them and try not to worry too much about them not breeding!!! Reverse psychology might work huh?

I like your thinking, yeah Im not stressing if mine breed either, lol :victorious: