Trimming moss

ineke

• HOF Member

I have some fissidens kindly given to me by mickeyG on ss mesh. it is now getting tallish and i want it to spread . Is there a length at which it can be trimmed and the trimmings retied?

For fissidens, I just pull the excess with a tweezer, rather then trim with a scissor.

• HOF Member

Ok Thanks BB it looks quite long that's why I thought it needed trimming.

with my fissidens i have it on driftwood and it just grows until pieces just drop off, then it just put that one somewhere and repeat

• HOF Member

Thanks Justin I would like to have a " grassy" area and want it to spread a bit so was hoping by trimming it it might spread

Won't spread as such ineke but you just start more tiles. I can send some more ss mesh tiles once I get back if ya like. I wouldn't trim I'd just pull at it with tweezers like bb said...

• HOF Member

Mick that would be great. I would like to have a square of grassy area eventually the shrimp like to scrounge in it. Thanks Mick. PM me when you are back and will organise payment:encouragement:

my fissidens come off when my net touches it lol :(

I am proud of my fissidens though i brought them small and green on a tile, then i moved house and they were dark brown i ripped them off and superglues to driftwood now they are getting long and green :)

• HOF Member

Mine is long and green and I thought that meant it had to be trimmed LOL still learning about these things. will wait till Mick get s back and will start a new mesh. I have lots of ceramic tiles with all sorts of moss- trouble is I don't know which is which because I mixed them up .Then HexaD gave me a big container full but again all mixed together so I have tried to seperate it into batches that look the same and have tied it all to tiles. when they grow out I will have to ask for ID on them it's a good way to learn I suppose!!!

i think fissidens would look quiet nice grown really long. I have never actually seen someone let them grow quiet big.

i am loving my flame moss its frowing like a curtain :)

• HOF Member

I have a nice amount of either peacock or xmas moss that has grown quite well I really should trim that but it looks nice growing on the end of a terracotta pot. I also have masses of subwassertang tied to rocks as little bushes and thats really taking off. It's hidden among the plants in my big tank so can't see it that well but in the smaller tanks it looks great.

i have subwassertang but i am beginning to not like it. I dont think it as aesthetically pleasing as others.

• HOF Member

No you are probably right but I have tied some to my driftwood to look like it's growing leaves and the bush effect when just tied in the middle on to a rock looks quite good and the shrimp love.

• 3 months later...

Oh I only wish i was at the 'splurge on moss' stage but alas I am still on the expand the shrimp varoety stage ;-) all my cash is flowing in that direction. .. soon soon

Slowly slowly, you'll get there, definitely no rush to spend heaps of money otherwise you'll be broke in no time.......well, more broke, lol :victorious:

Wise words Squig, more broke.

That is a permanent state with me cause I have kept fish so long, LOL, would not have it any other way and dam it, the wife is onto fish so there is no handbrake, she wants a marine tank and Cairns Marine is not far away. I be broke still and always.

Bob

:) more than happy to pay postage for anyone to share their moss addiction with me,nudge nudge wink wink lol jk* once the collection of gorgeous shrimpies is satisfied I may have to start looking !

Did someone say moss addiction? I've forked out a stupid amount of money in the last few months to feed my collectoritis and amass the collection I have now, and still working on it. :D Might explain why I'm yet to add any shrimp to my new "shrimp" tank.

You should check out the Moss Exchange Program thread, either to join in or just for the information on mosses. I'm still trying to get people from the forum involved but between the people I've spoken with we have a rather impressive selection of mosses that we can share/swap/sell and the more people I can get involved the better we'll be able to help out and contribute to the community.

Hi MrShrimp - Not at the moment, more just trying to collect as much information and as many samples as possible to share with everyone, and create a convenient place where people can find the most up to date info and sources to expand their moss collections.