BBA

ineke

• HOF Member

I have one plant that has BBA on it- it came that way when I first bought it and didn't know what it was. It is the only thing with BBA on it. What is the best way to get rid of it. I can easily remove the plant for treatment but I don't have h2o2 and don't know where to get it. Is there anything else I can do? As I said it can be removed for treatment i don't want to do it in the tank as I have a berried girl nearly ready to drop.

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

I don't know about treatment but you can get peroxide in either 3% or 6% at the chemist :encouragement:

imagesiPhone_zps2aed5f62.jpg

• HOF Member

OK thanks Squiggle I will wait until someone can give me the dosage. I kept the lights off in that tank for a few days and it looks like it has slowed down a bit but I read it can be spread by cuts and I don't want a tank full of it although it looks OK

Cheers

• HOF Member

Just found an article by Gino in the tag section so will give it a try but I will take the plant out.:encouragement:

• HOF Member

Just read that but they didn't say how strong to make it.:encouragement:

Yeah I had the same problem, might want to PM MrShrimp, he's the one that posted the comment about dunking it in a bucket :encouragement:

funny_fails_everydayGeorgeWBush_zpsa3979b38.jpg

If you dont want to use peroxide or the like on it you can also use flourish excel or dino pee which is stronger.

I tried dipping mine then i let it sit in a bucket with small amount of water and lots of excel and mine died :)

• HOF Member

Thanks Oz I don't have any of those and as the peroxide is quicker to get I might try that. I don't really use any fertilizers in my tanks so don't have them on hand.:encouragement:

no worries, flourish comprehensive and flourish excel are good to have for plants and excel fi you dont run Co2. My plants are booming since i started using it regularly i however dont do full dose except last night when i f%^&ed up lol.

my dead us fissidens are now even growing and my mini pelia has grown for first time in like 6 months lol

• HOF Member

I have only been using plants since I have had the shrimp so still have heaps to learn about them. When I bought a plant package from Aquathumb I got plants for low tech no co2 tank. But I don't think the plants look as good as they did so probably will have to get something to perk them up. Will look those ones up thanks

Cheers

I was really apprehensive to use chemicals when i first got into CRS and what not, however since i have been regularly using those 2 i have had bright green plants and growth which i never had in the past. Like you i used to have low light plants and not i only have NL java fern 1 bolbitus and moss :)

And with my lighting i just have an Aqua UP led z series :)

sorry for going off topic

• HOF Member

No any information about shrimp and plants is not off topic to me. Just glad to hear of other peoples experience and pick out the bits I want:D I do need to think about ferts for my big tank so I guess that goes almost to the top of the needs list- not the want list. Apart from a tank full of shrimp nothing looks better than a planted tank full of healthy green plants. I've nearly got as many types of shrimp I can handle without putting different colours of the same species in together and I am just waiting another couple of weeks to get my last tank ( yeah right) and then I need to start improving the stock that I have. I have been given some very nice shrimp so they are all good but some of my other shrimps are low grades or culls so need to get a few good shrimp to improve those. So then I will start concentrating on better plants but I need to look after what I have first. God this woman can ramble on. I better go and sit on my hands for a while

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I had BBA growing on several plants I obtained privately Ineke.. The advice I got was to cut lights and double dose excel. Change part of the water (upto 50%) each day and re dbl dose... in 3 days mine had turned pinkish white... in 5 days it was gone.. Also during this process it is suggested to manually remove it with your fingers.. I did this and after the second day of treatment the BBA was sliding off the plants when I pulled at it. Hope this helps.

• HOF Member

Thanks Cookster I did the lights off but also put the plant in a tank with very low ph. The BBA has just about all disappeared. The lights off probably helped most but not not sure if ph has anything to do with it

• HOF Member

It will be interesting to see if it comes back in the new tank with LED lighting but the PH will still be low.

• HOF Member

Squiggle you do talk a lot you are nearly two hundred posts ahead of me!!!!,!

Just like the rest of the people on this forum, your maths leaves a lot to be desired, lol. It's only 130 & you talk just as much as I do, hehehe:smiley_simmons:

• HOF Member

Can I count all the pm's I have ? I spend almost as much time on them as I do on the forum. No wonder my fingers hurt!!!! No Squiggle you definitely talk more!!!:congratulatory:

• HOF Member

I'm off to do the dreaded house work place is decidedly less sparkly since I found this forum and the dogs are hanging out for a walk.:cower:

YAY!! what fun :stupid: How can you say I talk more, just look at this page, until this post you were double my posts, lol :smiley_simmons:

• HOF Member

I'm slyly trying to catch up so keep having these senior moments and have to add what I forgot to add to the previous post. Damn now your on to me I have to stop. Now I really have to get back to mopping the floors:(