Hello from SEQ

Didge007

Hello everyone! Well what can I say about myself? I live in south east queensland with my partner who I just bought a house with. We have a cat, a dog, a horse and at the moment only one small 30L tank that houses my little blue crowntail Betta Picasso. I have a larger 200L tank that houses my Angel Rocky and a goldfish Florence that I rescued off my sister but that tank I am trying to sell. Since buying the house I have fallen away from tanks for a while but I am ready to jump back into it.

In the way of shrimp, I currently have none however I love to learn about them and see photos of the different types and tank setups people have. I hope soon I can get some shrimp! They are adorable little things.

Welcome mate! Good timing, Dean, the demi-god of the forum is having a huge sale over the coming days, you may be in luck!

Show us some pics mate! I'm still a big fish keeper, got a couple hundred litres of fish tank myself!

Enjoy the forum and have a good look around! If you're interested in buying some shrimp, perhaps signing up for premium membership to view the classifieds is the way to go. It's only 12.50 and you'll make that back pretty much as soon as you buy shrimp, the savings here are the best.

• HOF Member

Hi Didge007,

Welcome to SKF this is certainly the place to learn about shrimp . The forum will open up to you as you post more or you can become a premium member and it will open up straight away including a classified area. There ae lots of friendly people willing to share their knowledge with you.

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

Hi! Welcome to skf! I'd love to know about and see a photo of your horse, being a horsey girl myself :)

Theres a few of us in the seq area, I'm on the goldie.:)

youll learn a lot from this forum... I recommend getting premium membership, it's totally worth it!

Welcome Didge, this is definitely the place to learn about shrimp & if you read enough you'll end up with five tanks before you know it, lol, we love tank pics here so would love to see yours. Hope you have as much fun here as we do. Oh & you might want to consider Premium Membership, definitely worth the money :encouragement:

image-74_zps8e538693.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome! Seems to be a few from seq. I will have to get off my lazy toosh and post some photos. Nothing really to show at the moment, except my little Picasso. I will be moving my angel and goldy into a temporary tank over the weekend. The big tank is pending sale, so fingers crossed I will get to start shopping for a new tank soon :) I am definately considering buying a premium membership. I'm desperately wanting to get some shrimp.

Torface, what do you ride? I will get a photo of my Dolly up soon, after she's had a bath and her mane pulled. She is now retired and looks every bit the paddock pony now. It's almost heartbreaking - she is loving it though!

• HOF Member

Hi Didge Hope your tank sells and you find you like the shrimp. Lots of us have started off with a free shrimp or and escapee that came in on a plant. Trouble is the little blighters are so addictive and you just want more and more and need more and more tanks. Be Warned. I used to have horses too and my last old mare was a retired 3 day eventer -before I had her. She was used to being in a stall all day and clipped and powdered etc etc. I bought her to save her from the knackery basically and took to my little 5 acre paddock with just a stall in the shed she could access. When she was released she just stood there and had a good look around gave a huge sigh and put her head down and grazed and grazed. She was in horsey heaven and turned out to be the best horse I ever had. Some like the pampering but most love the paddock so don't feel guilty she is being a horse doing what she wants now.:bee: I don't have any horses now due to back injury but have the best memories.

Cheers

Sadly I can't own a horse due to my fly in fly out lifestyle.. I'm away working in the mines more time than I'm home so it neither financially or practically viable :( I have an evil plan to get my boyfriend into horses so I can get one and have him look after it... That plans not going as we'll as the shrimp plan is though lol

I used to ride 2 horses when I was living in Townsville, Liberty an 8 year old thoroughbred who is as stiff as a board and Maggie an ex eventer who was completely the opposite! I moved down to the Goldie recently and I've since gotten back into polo, I was hardcore into it through uni but have been away from it for a few years. So for that I just borrow or rent horses ands its a different one each time. It can get pretty expensive but I love it!

• HOF Member

I miss having my horses, i have ridden since I was about 9 and have owned horses since I was fifteen up until 1989. I last rode in 1992 and have not been allowed back on one since. The old mare I rescued was in foal when I bought her unbeknown to me until the worm belly turned out to be foal belly LOL. But it is no good wishing for things that cannot be and if I want to keep walking I can't keep riding!!!

Cheers

Have you ever considered driving (as in horse and trap/buggy)? I know heaps of people who can no longer ride but now drive instead :)

• HOF Member

My problems are too complex and because of the unpredictable nature of horses even well educated ones I could get into trouble it's my back and neck basically the Dr's have said on my head be it I have been warned so to be safe I keep away from them now.:encouragement:

G'day Didge, glad to see that you made it to SKF, I am sure that you will enjoy it and find lots of shrimp that you must have.

• HOF Member

And on that note I apologise for taking over your thread.

Cheers

Ineke:o

No don't apologise! When horse people get talking, they sure do talk :P

I couldn't imagine being told to stay away from horses. I think I'd still have a few show minis and tell the doctor they aren't 'REAL' horses so it doesn't count lol. You do sometimes have to make these tough decisions though and I understand it is far too risky. At least you have the memories! :)

My little mare has been fantastic. I've had her for approx 13yrs now and I've decided to retire her due to my lack of time (silly uni!) and put her in foal hopefully at the end of the year.

I can't wait to get some shrimp! It's addictive just looking at them.

• HOF Member

They are just as addictive as horses just a bit easier to house lol. Mind you some horses are cheaper than some shrimp. We have moved back to the city there was no point having land and the constant yearning to just get a horse to look at because who can just look and not do. Anyway it's been a while now so I've learnt to live without them.

Cheers

Now you have more money for shrimp anyways! :) there's a positive to every story. I should mention over the weekend I got 5 glass shrimp so I'm no longer shrimpless!

Yes baccus I'm here! *waves*

• HOF Member

great stuff its a start be ready to be sucked in theres no turning back

WAHOO!!! You're on your way now, it's a slippery slope between shrimp admirer & shrimp tragic, lol, I should know, I'm one of the worst tragic's, I've got it bad :encouragement:

Hello you will find all the info you need about shrimp here on SKF, remember start with the easier types like cherries before venturing into the more expensive types ENJOY!

Welcome to SKG Didge007...You're @ the right place to learn about shrimp keeping/ breeding...Hope you gain enough knowledge to have a successful shrimp hobby...