New CBS

ineke

• HOF Member

I have just come back from buying some A grade CBS fairly young and quite nicely marked. I will take some pictures when all settled in. Found them on Gumtree in Adelaide and turns out to be the guy I bought my second lot of RCS from so quite happy he knows what he is doing.

I've noticed here in Adelaide at least that the CBS and CRS are being kept together. This guy was pretty adamant that they don't interbreed and said where he buys his shrimp from they have them all in together as well. He said he never gets reds from blacks or blacks from reds.

I have put mine in a separate tanks but would like some clarification, I know they will interbreed because they are the same genus but what happens to the young. I had thought that the white tends to get a muddy look? Can anyone help please? It probably has been answered somewhere but can't find it.

Theres is so much to learn!

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

CRS and CBSs will happily interbreed, they're the same species just a different colour, thats all.

The young from the breeding will be mixed, you'll end up with both CRS, CBSs and potentially some brown, it all depends on the genetics. But in say

that I've used to have a CRS female that would constantly throw CBS young with good quality white. So I wouldn't be concerned too much unless you

have a specific breeding plan in mind. Do remember that often the colour from the CBS will dominate the CRS gene, just something to be aware of.

• HOF Member

Thanks BigD I knew they would interbreed it was just the outcome I wasn't sure of. I wasn't aware that the CBS gene was dominant so that's good to know and at the moment I don't have any breeding plan I just want to get the numbers up of the shrimp I have so that the tanks don't look so empty!!! I don't even mind if I get a few browns it's all shrimp to me!!!! I don't think I will ever really get into breeding large quantities to sell although you never know.

Cheers

Solution here is simple ineke, just need another tank ! Resistance is futile ! LOL

If you're intending to perhaps/eventually sell the shrimplets, best to split them up, as their colour/quality will degrade their quality. Saying that, my son has a ALL shrimp tank that he loves, as it has all the colors and mixes we're able to collect! He enjoys seeing all the different colours in 1 tank...so if that's your intention, then all good.

• HOF Member

LOL new tank is a definite go just need to decide what I want. The CBS are in with the Yellows and the 2 goldens who are still too young to breed. I would love to divide my 30" tank but not sure how to do it yet. My cycling tank should just about be ready and then I will be OK. It's just the interim waiting for that to finish then I can put my golden's in with the rilis until I know if they are a pair.

Cheers

If space and $ isnt too much of an issue, then a well design 4-8 tank breeding rack is the solution....you'll ever regret it. There, the seed is planted, I'll just sit back and watch the development now. LOL

Lol, go for an 8 tank rack Ineke, get rid of the other tanks once its up and running as its only one lot of water testing instead of many. Then when that rack is full, get another rack, etc, etc, etc. somewhere down the track you have to draw a line in the sand!

• HOF Member

the seed was planted already in hubby's head and it will no doubt be done in the near future. I showed him a nice rack ( that doesn't sound right:redface-new:) and I think he would have no trouble making one. I just need to be more consistent with the tanks I get so they fit on it easily. Just have to be careful of the weight as we have wooden floors on crumbly dwarf walls. I may have to shift into another room that has has steel beams put under it. But that is not a big problem:D

See it's very catchy and I've caught a big dose!!!!!

Cheers

• HOF Member

Ninja I have 2 spare bedrooms that were setup for when the grandchildren stay over but they can sleep in swags on the floor in the lounge so plenty of room!!!!

I've seen brown crystals and they don't look good to me. Some people advertise them as chocolate crystals but these shrimps should be sold as culls. Keep in mind it take about 3-4 generation of breeding reds and black to get some browns. Some breeders in Asia would mix reds and black for one generation to strengthen their gene pool.

Ineke, depending on the size of your bedrooms, one of them should be enuf for now, Lol.

Ya really need 2 racks, one for cherries, tigers etc. the other for low Ph types. Small table n 2 chairs, bar fridge and kettle, for hot toddies when it's cold. Oh and aircon the whole room instead of chillers in the summer. Haha

• HOF Member
I've seen brown crystals and they don't look good to me. Some people advertise them as chocolate crystals but these shrimps should be sold as culls. Keep in mind it take about 3-4 generation of breeding reds and black to get some browns. Some breeders in Asia would mix reds and black for one generation to strengthen their gene pool.

Don't worry MrShrimp I have them separate so will see how they breed I guess there is no guarantee that they don't come from a CRS regardless of what that particular breeder thinks/says. Thanks for that information though that's good to know

Cheers

• HOF Member

LOL Ninja almost there, room air conditioned and ceiling fan, kitchen within steps of room, large sofa to sit on and computer in room for forum!!!!! Fridge around the corner I'm all set :congratulatory: on the other side no rack for me:sorrow: Hubby quite rightly pointed out to me I wouldn't be able to handle looking after tanks on lower level or higher level due to neck and back injury from nursing days:dejection: however he is open to making shelving all around the room! I struggle as it is with carrying buckets of water and bending or stretching are a no no. also I'm short and due to injury not supposed to work with my arms high and my head bent back - didn't give any of that a thought just as well he was on the ball because there was quite a decent rack for sale on gumtree that I liked.

Cheers

• HOF Member

Yes a nice shelf all the way around the room but then I won't have my nice lounge to sit on and my computer to play on!!! I think that for the moment I will just get that extra tank I want and see how things work out in a few months. The setup I have is quite nice and relaxing, if I go the full on way it won't be the same- I rest on the lounge between carrying buckets of water etc and the dogs sit on it and watch me!!! It means I won't be able to have the tanks all linked but unless I go into shrimp breeding for selling I think I quite like my little room!!!! .If I run out of room I'll get hubby to knock the wall down between the 2 rooms- he can do that . Has done it before can do it again!!!

Cheers

You can always have just two walls if you want the lounge for the dogs & having them all linked into a sump is not a problem, would be a very cool system to set up :encouragement:

image-74_zps5b5e1abb.jpg

• HOF Member

Only if you come and do it Squiggle I wouldn't know where to start!!!! I think hubby is waiting to see if I stick with this hobby. I have started a few things in the past that haven't lasted very long. HOWEVER it has never been anything to do with animals I always followed through with those hobbies except when circumstances forced an end to them. Horses-back injury, Guinea Pigs- we sold the house and moved to a caravan park for 12 months, fish -started doing a lot of desert tracks around Australia and didn't have anyone to look after them!!! there now I've got that off my chest !!!!! He thinks it will only last 6 months and we are already 3 months in so 3 more months and I can hit him big time!!!!

Cheers

i went through alot of different fish keeping/breeding before i finally settled on shrimp :)

• HOF Member
i went through alot of different fish keeping/breeding before i finally settled on shrimp :)

I just need to find a safe way to have them taken care of while we are away for a couple of months in winter usually. The dogs come with us the shrimp can't.

i thought I might be able to put them all in my big tank and if they inter breed I will just have to sort them out when we get back. Hopefully I will have 2 big tanks then I can keep colours separate. Feeding won't be a problem as my son will come a couple of times a week and put food in but if I left them in the cubes I would worry about water conditions

cheers

ineke:encouragement:

Don't worry Ineke, we're here to keep you focused & if I ever make it down to the state of serial killers, lol, sorry, city of churches, I'd be glad to set it up for you & have that bottle of scotch too, don't worry, I'll never forget that offer, lol :encouragement:

image-74_zpsfce98226.jpg

• HOF Member
Don't worry Ineke' date=' we're here to keep you focused & if I ever make it down to the state of serial killers, lol, sorry, city of churches, I'd be glad to set it up for you & have that bottle of scotch too, don't worry, I'll never forget that offer, lol :encouragement:

[img']http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a580/Betta_lover/image-74_zpsfce98226.jpg:encouragement:

squirrel I was wrong- yes I am woman and I was wrong- the bottle of scotch was 15 year old not 12 and very smooth!!!!

What do you mean was? That sounds like bad things have happened to the bottle, lol :encouragement:

image-74_zps9eb3d45b.jpg

• HOF Member
What do you mean was? That sounds like bad things have happened to the bottle' date=' lol :encouragement:

[img']http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a580/Betta_lover/image-74_zps9eb3d45b.jpg

Well one drink a night doesn't go very far and it was sooooo nice. Besides you said you wouldn't come and it was very sad having to drink it by myself;)

• HOF Member

No no really it's very sad when a woman has to drink by herself, the upside is there's more for her!:cheerful: