java fern help

ineke

• HOF Member

I want to plant out my tank and have a lot of Java Ferns tied to rocks ,wood,and charcoal caves. I want an area of just java ferns but not all the add ons. If you can't plant it directly in to the soil is there another way you can have a display of it. Could I tie it to plastic mesh (gutter guard) and put a bit of soil over the mesh. Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Ineke:encouragement:

Just plant it directly in the soil. I have one of my tanks with the broad leaf Java Fern planted directly into gravel.

• HOF Member

Hi JohnH so it grows OK like that? I thought you couldn't cover the rhizome that's why I'm fussing. If it is Ok planted directly into the soil I will be a happy camper!!!

Cheers

Yep, it's just a normal plant that you can stuff in to the soil :encouragement:

fd6414798648bc667b257c1157d837e4forgothowtocat_zps227af13d.jpg

• HOF Member

Cool I thought it HAD to be tied. Also just watched a video on you tube that pulls a leaf of the java fern and plant 1 end in the gravel and it grows out all bushy- go figure all this talk about rotting rhizomes scared me. I can have fun now because i have heaps of ferns Thanks Squiggle

Cheers

Also just watched a video on you tube that pulls a leaf of the java fern and plant 1 end in the gravel and it grows out all bushy-

Does anyone know if you can do this with other plants? I have some in the back of my tank (sorry, don't really know what they are!) which have grown very tall... would be good if i could chop bits off and plant it in the substrate to get thickness :)

My "background" plants are what I believe is Blue Stricta, Rotala Vietnam and im trying to google the others but cant seem to find? I'll post a picture...

They're all growing pretty well, would just be good to increase the number of stems :)

(Sorry to hijack your thread Ineke! )

post-2851-139909860432_thumb.jpg

post-1938-139909849341_thumb.jpg

• HOF Member

Not a problem torface it's a good learning experience for all of us. Most stem plants with roots can be trimmed and trimmings replanted. If you have a lot why not just trim a stem or two and plant it. It should have new roots in about two weeks. If it works you have extra plants if it doesn't you have trimmed your plants and no big loss. We have to learn somehow and if you have a bit to spare then it is no great loss losing that little bit you experimented with. I have just pulled a few of my tatty java fern leaves off and stuck them in the gravel to see what happens.

Cheers

I'll give it a go... they grow so fast anyway! The tall ones at the back practically doubled in size over 3 weeks!!

Theres a couple of ways that plants reproduce, some send out runners, some will just grow if you detach a leaf(like Java Fern), others will send out roots from where the leaves join the stem & some will just spontaneously start growing a new plant from the edge of a leaf & that will drop off, there are also some that you can split the clump when the get big enough. As Ineke said, I'd just trim the plants & give it a go, if it's just trimmings then no great loss. I think the rotala will send out roots at the leaf joints & I think the Stricta can be split up, it's been a while since I've done much with plants & I'm sure there are others which will clear it up :encouragement:

hilarious-star-wars-t-shirts-1038646769-apr-2-2012-600x450_zps80a9cac7.jpg