Sump overflow - help with noise and shrimp proofing

torface

I hope this is in the right forum!

I have a tank and sump set up that I bought second hand but i'm having a few issues.

They are probably age old problems lol... Firstly my sump overflow is LOUD! The tank is in the living room and last night with no fan on I could hear it from bed which is 2 rooms away through a closed door. I know there's a way to fix this but I can't seem to find the article back! Initially the issue was water rushing into the sump, but i've managed to reduce that somewhat with a filter sock and strategic positioning of the hose/ rubbishy trickle plate/ filter sponge... but now the overflow is louder than ever!

My second issue is that i'm using fly screen attached with an elastic band to stop the shrimps from getting sucked in to the overflow but I seem to have to clean it once or twice a day to keep the water flow up so the water in the sump stays at the right level. Its a very fine balance... the pump is set to maintain equilibrium but only does so if the overflow runs at full flow if that makes sense? But if I turn the pump down my bio balls will become submerged. Any ideas on this one?

Hi.....can you post some pics up, it'll just be easier to picture it (excuse the punt..LOL). Thanks

Here's a couple of pictures of the overflow/ bulk head thingymabob. No point in posting pics of the rest of the sumpas im about to go pick up my new one!

[ATTACH]2644[/ATTACH]

Highly sophisticated fly mesh!

post-1108-139909850193_thumb.jpg

I have to add that the water level is slightly lower than usual as I get crazy evaporation and havent yet topped it up this morning. Hopefully fixing that with some lids this morning too...

Maybe having the sponge filter under the overflow doesnt help??

post-1938-139909849233_thumb.jpg

post-1938-139909849238_thumb.jpg

Air trapping within the outflow can create a gurgling sound, plus flow rate plays a part too. My outflow is designed with a T fitting to allow the air to escape. I also use the SS mesh fitting (see pic), which doesn't seem to get clogged up etc.....

DAC47529-21DA-4D55-9D5F-CFBD8B5C8FE7-6696-0000078FBA38CC1D.jpg

is there any advantage in putting the overflow parallel to the water as opposed to drilling the tank from the bottom?

I preferred top/side entry note for ecstatic reasons. Not too sure about functionality/noise comparison. Space/rack design would also play a part.....had designed my rack so that all the pipes ran to the sides...

BB's setup is the way to go, with the stand pipe on the back of the bulk head you will get a lot less noise & you will get a lot better flow, there won't be the siphoning effect which causes air pockets in the bends which reduce the flow :encouragement:

image-74_zpsbbc14642.jpg

BlueBolts, where did you get the mesh fitting?

Yup, i think that's what i need to do, fit some sort of T-fitting. You don't get any splash out of those?

I just bought a whole new sump off a guy from another forum for the bargain price of $20 and he gave me a whole load of plumbing fittings so i'll have to have a rummage and see what's there...

For a cheap alternative have a look at this

Maybe you can do something similar

So I just tried shoving a bit of air hose into the sump pipe... and voila less noise! It doesn't look pretty though lol

So I just tried shoving a bit of air hose into the sump pipe... and voila less noise! It doesn't look pretty though lol

Glad it worked for you!

BlueBolts' date=' where did you get the mesh fitting?[/quote']

I bought mine for Aquotix (forum sponsor)...shoot them a PM.

I bought mine for Aquotix (forum sponsor)...shoot them a PM.

Do you have any problems with shrimplets getting through?

image-74_zps7432334f.jpg