Something is wrong!

JustJamieII:-)

I've noticed recently, in one particular tank that once a shrimp has successfully moulted, it will turn up dead later on (with dozens of shrimp eating it). I haven't noticed any during the actual moulting process but all moults appear to be successful. Could it be an imbalance of males v females, where once a female moults, she is 'set upon' by too many males? All tanks are identical within .1 PH of each other. All other parameters are exact and within acceptable levels. All tanks get the same food cycle.

Cheers,

Jamie

sorry to hear that mate, could be a lack mineral/vitamin maybe calcium.

but that being said if all tanks are identical, then could be a bacteria thing as when the shrimp molt they are most susceptible to those types of thing.

i would as a general precaution just add a UV filter to the tank and see if it help. if the deaths stop after the molting than you know its a bacteria thing.

also i would not transfer any shrimp from that tank to another as a safety precaution also ie dont move shrimp, use same net, etc etc.

most likely one of those 2 things or below post as i forgot about them.

Hi Jamie,

Check your GH,....etc. another cause is that your shrimps are starving ! And just picked on the weaker / recently moulted shrimp ?

Gh is 4-5.

As for hunger being a possibility. I feed like there's no tomorrow(no nitrate is not a problem either). Against what seems to be the norm of feeding every two days or so. They are all fed daily, with back up of IAL in there permanently. They're not dying(being killed??) from moulting but afterwards.

Tanks have UV via the chillers.

How do I tell if this one tank is low on minerals? They all get the same treatment/testing and W/C schedule.

Hey Mat (sorry for the late reply),

Yes I do have a TDS meter, but frankly take what it says with a grain of salt. It's only a cheapy by the way. But I'm yet to be convinced of the TDS measurements in an aquatic environment. For the record, it can read anywhere from 140 odd up to 180-190 in the same tank... at the same time. It is colaborated as well.

Mineral wise, very little. They have montmorillonite bricks and I've only recently been using Active white. I don't use R/O water though.

Keep in mind all tanks get the same treatment, yet it's just this one tank that continues to have the same problem.

What minerals should I be adding? How do I measure mineral content? For a 4ft tank, what would be considered to be too many shrimp?

Thanks J.