Project "Spotted red tigerbee"

This week ill be receiving my first tigers and decide to assign myself the task to assist in development of a tiger variant which ive seen on the internet and love.

index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=15461&h=f22fcd22817a56d93b6c189aec657ba8c99d0c6c&thumbnail=1

I already have crystal red shrimp with a similar pattern but ill give mixing tiger and taiwan bees into the pot a shot.

My Plan:

C grade x Ruby Red = F1 Mishling

The Ruby Red Pattern might make the C grade stripes into or close to spots. Maybe F2 or F3

Ruby red x Tiger = Tigerbee

Im hoping the tiger genes can help break up the reds in the ruby red genes. Looking at marcus' photos it seems that the taiwan gene is dominant to tiger so ill need to cross into F2 or F3 to try and get one displaying the broken up red wine pattern i seek.

Tigerbee x mishling = ?

Well we'll all have to wait and see.

The C grades im choosing for this project will specifically have red and solid white tiger markings as opposed to single/double striped or full red C grades.

Ill experiment with swapping males and females for different crosses.

eg.

Male C Grade x Female Tiger

Female C grade x Male tiger

So on so forth.

Sadly to make way for this project ill be getting rid of every other shrimp i own as im tank space limited and time constricted.

Females i choose for this will look like this, containing both red and a strong present white.

664914_4581430705672_1853592829_o.jpg

Love the strategy & plan. Great that you're so focus in the selective breeding target.

That C Grade "Tiger Pattern" you've got is awesome, and a great way to kick start your spotted red tiger bee project. Over the last months, I've crossed everything I've got with Tiger/Tibee, so in 2-3 weeks time, when they're large enough and/or have formed their true colour/patter, I'll share them, so that we can eliminated the guess work of the dominant gene's etc.

Pretty sure I've posted these pics, but ...

Tibee x Mischling CBS

4B13202A-042B-4E45-9CA6-4C46B6E327DB-1762-0000025DEC835173.jpg

OEBT x Mischling

D38FBE63-F905-4CC9-A90A-529B76FEE37D-615-00000062BE72E618.jpg

Tibee x Mischling CRS

C3D1A680-F3D2-4888-8D1D-6531C2022786-3277-0000032A700041FF.jpg

Hope these pics/info will assist you in your selective breeding process.

Please do keep us ALL updated. Very exciting !

That sounds like an awesome program, I'm getting excited just reading about it & the females look really cool, good luck with it. :encouragement:

Your pics look awesome BB, some of those colour variants are stunning, can't wait to see the rest of them :applause:

image-74_zps2bbbdbf9.jpg

• HOF Member

I so wish I was younger and still working I don't fully understand genetics but it is so interesting. Not to steal your thread but I used to breed Guinea Pigs - purebred ones I chose American crested which were red or chestnut with a white crest on their head but no white allowed anywhere else and that was extremely interesting. I would love to take on a project but you just need too much space and spare tanks etc. almost worth going back to nursing a couple of days a week!!!

Hi marcus, just curious could you update the colour grade and the type of TB shrimps you used to make the mishlings and tibees. I have a feeling it specifically relates to the colour grades.

Hi Robert, found the reverse of your spotted red tigerbee this morning....

E3012B11-C63C-4D4A-B0E4-F1E9A150827E-296-00000020074D8E0C.jpg

Acclimatising to another tank, so a tad stress and only a juvi....so hopefully will colour and thicken up...

He is absolutely stunning. Whats the genetics behind it? For a moment i thought i already hit a speed hump because it seems like i need a red tiger to do this but youve proven the ability to get red stripes without red tiger genetics.

As a reference red tiger is naturally found not a mutant.

WR x Tibee....only 1 in its batch though...the rest are similar but black/white....my excitement is the pinto/spotted head they have.....once they settle and mature a tad, I'll take some better pics.

What type of tiger and what grade of bee was used to make the tibee? I dont think the tiger makes much difference if it was blue or blonde but the grade and cbs/crs may have an affect on the pattern distribution.

The tibee was from a OEBT x CRS.....F1 x WR.

I agree, with the OEBT & Blonde. I haven't paid much of a difference with the grad elf Mischling I use.....just to difficult to records and note the crosses... I need more tanks !

Will have to try this myself. Seems that i may only have to do half the work i intended then refine the line.

Definitely include your C grade as part of the program....... Never know what it'll throw out...part of the challenge, fun and intrigue !

I still am.

Thinking out my crosses

Ruby Red X TiBee (C Grade CRS x OEBT)

OEBT X Mishling (C Grade CRS x Ruby Red)

TiBee (C grade CRS x OEBT) x Mishling (C grade x Ruby Red)

Do you know what grade CRS you had in the tank to make the Tibee marcus? If its a higher grade then that explains why the spotting is only in the head, the lower stripes are a trait of the tiger.

Another thing that interest me is the fact you only got one red in the batch

60704_490315174338679_1005873603_n.jpg

Hi Robert, just found this today in my Tibee Tank ... Will try crossing her with either a WR or SW or BB ? What do you think ?

30C18A1E-4530-48FB-9159-E0526A068D7A-5144-0000051E7AD2E0E1.jpg

I think crossing her with a SW would be a good bet. First pintos were without taiwan gene :)

Just finished setting up my tank. Its a 60x45x45 that has a thick single piece of sponge dividing it. Will be good for shrimplets to feed on and filtration.

Front shot, excuse some things floating. Some members were over this morning :)

Excuse the cloudy water.

It has ada power sand underneath with ada super clear then it was topped with ada powder. The whole back of both sies are densely planted with crypts. Tops are removed at the moment because they melted but they should come back in a few days with a bit of tlc. Will be a good hiding place for the girls. Two benibachi balls and one driftwood thus far. need to find one more small piece.

5591_10200258789304266_655208902_n.jpg

Close up of the sponge. Its a 45x45 piece but i removed 5 or so cms to make up for the substrate. the tank was already establish and all i did was top up the powder today, paint the back 3 coats and move the tank. If i had to do it again id make it straight from the bottom.

576152_10200258787184213_199039011_n.jpg

View-able from both sides. One side is my study desk and the other is my bed. Now my desk is surrounded by shrimp. Perfect working environment.

484302_10200258788024234_1196880512_n.jpg549871_10200258788504246_903541494_n.jpg

WOW guys, that's one super sexy shrimp. If you don't mind me asking, what's the going price for these?

Hiya Robert, how are you keeping the sponge barrier in place, please and what happens if the sponge gets too dirty?

@Izzy, Prices for the blondes are $150 and $250 for the blue tigers.

@Ninja Nothing is keeping the barrier in place, the tank is 45 x 45 inclusive of glass and the foam is 45 x 45 so it is a tight fit. The sponge would never get dirty and if it does itll house plenty of good bacteria for shrimplets. I plan on never cleaning it. If by chance it gets so dirty that water cant pass through anywhere (even though that will never happen because of the large surface area) i can just pull it straight out and give it a wish and put it back in. My shrimp will mix if i do that but i can catch all of them prior then release after.

Hmm good idea if it stays in place, it's like a hamburg filter without the airlift, but they say the hamberg filter needs to be cleaned occasionally?

I hope it wont nee cleaning too often cause mine is in the soil, doh! :dejection:

hilarious-dog-takes-internet-by-storm-9e873f7ce5_zps8a2d8614.jpg

As a barrier Sqiggle or filter?

by the way monkeys with guns have been known to shoot their owners, lol!!!!!

Im running a canister at the same time so it acts as a barrier with filtration as an added bonus. It is pretty much an hamburg filter. Itll stay in place, ive got 1200 L/PH flowing through it and it hasnt even bowed.