Damselfly nymph!

Sprae

Just found and kill a damselfly nymph! Totally worried now there might be more and I have no idea how it got in my tank!! :sorrow:

Here's what it looked like

http://www.bumblebee.org/invertebrates/Odonata1.htm

What I killed

b3d68d77.jpg

Firstly, the Fluval Edge tank is covered quite well so no actual damselfly could actually fly in and lay eggs. I have fly screens on all windows, reside in Melbourne and it's winter. The only thing I can think off is things I put into the tank which may have carried an egg, and the last thing I introduced were the DAS and DRN shrimps. Even these where netted out and put into the tank without much water from the acclimatising bucket.

The last moss I've introduced were about 3 months ago, which I H2O2 dipped before hand.

Hopefully it just hatched, didn't killed too many shrimplets and it's the only one. I can still see quite a few shrimplets with more to come :dejection:

Nasty littl buggers, about 4 months ago I found one, and before I knew it I was fishing out 3 to four a day. This went on for weeks. Have no idea how they got there. i ended up catching all my shrimp and put them into a bare tank. stripped and washed the tank with bleach tossed the plants:crushed: and started again. So far touch wood no more Damsel fly:applause:

Oh Wayne, that's what I'm fearing. It's way out of season for damselfly and I don't live near any waterways. Fingers crossed its a once off

yer nasty critters these i had 1 in my cherry tank for about 3 weeks till worked out it was there. killed about 2 shrimp a day for that 3 weeks. had me stuffed what was killing them, then spotted it whilst whatching the tank. netted it out, stripped tank and the found another 1 in the new setup but that was it. no more so i think i was very lucky only to lose about 60 cherries. think mine got in from a new piece of driftwood, also found a nematode ( think thats waats they called ) in there

2020902840054228562kViovL_th.jpg

2697049620054228562czZfAN_th.jpg

nasty suckers

I still get goose bumps every time I see a picture of these things UGLY UGLY Brrrrr. you know in some countries it is illegal to kill them. Something to do about freshwater fishing, I think that they are a bait for fly fishing.

If you think damselfly larvae are bad, dragonfly larvae must be the devil.

When doing sampling in freshwater creeks, you have to keep these buggers seperate otherwise they eat everything. I've heard stories where people have collected a bunch of fish, shrimp, bugs ect. and had one or two dragonfly larvae in amongst them. By the time they got back to the lab to count everything, the dragonfly larvae had eaten half of everything in the sample.

Good luck mate, Hope there are no more lurking in the background.