Eheim overkill.

Robert

I initially only wanted to run one Eheim 2215 on this setup but then Johnny Dexter had a 2215 for sale that i couldnt refuse. On the same day i went to aquaristics in sydney and the Eheim 2213 was on special so i put 2 aside, one for me and one for a friend (although i wish i had both). Today i went and picked them both up and the boys threw in a 2215 body spare part that i was eyeing since i had a damaged 2215 sitting in my back yard (clip holders broken).

So i went home and put my genius mind to good use.

Firstly i tried to swap the 2215 into the brand new 2215 body but it was short lived when i discovered i only had 1 body clip instead of 5. Ive ran the 2215 with 2-3 body clips before so i tried to remove a body clip from each of the other two 2215s i had without luck. it seems like you cant just slide the rod out like before. If anyone can help me out with that please let me know.

Then i cleaned the brand new 2213, the new basket design is great. Media comes prepacked and for the bargain price of $130 you cant go wrong.

On this tank i already had one aqua one 1200 with a UV filter and a 2215, on the tank beside it i was just running a 2215 so i swapped a 2215 for the aqua one 1200 and added the 2213. Have i still got you? still following? i think ive lost you.

All in all i am now running

Custom twin sponge Glass Cade inlet -> Eheim 2215 On -> Eheim 2215 Off impeller removed -> Eheim 2213 Off impeller removed -> Cade glass outlet.

All running full Eheim media and seachem purigen

All i need to work out now is finding a chiller that fits 13mm and a UV filter that runs 13mm. Find 2215 body clips and add it to the chain.

Whats a thread without pictures.

540841_10200182928487793_1906731408_n.jpg734036_10200182929407816_1343286455_n.jpg

How are you finding the flow rate?

On my larger tank I was considering running an Eheim 2217--->Eheim 2217--->Chiller--->UV steriliser.

In my opinion it runs close to the same flow. No dramatic or noticeable decrease. If i have an issues with flow ill pop a impeller in either the 2213 or 2215 to give it a little extra push.

I only reason i dont own a 2217 is the hoses are two different sizes and when you run them inline it restricts the flow when you use the adapters to change down and up. Plus for the price you can get 3-4 2213s and run two couples. One with the chiller and one with the UV plus have a larger media volume.

That's a very good point about the hose sizes being restrictive. I can however connect an Eheim 2215 to the 2217 and that would solve the problem. It would just mean that I would have to swap filters around from another tank. The 2217 was on sale recently so I couldn't say no lol. Sound familiar?

Youre a freak!

Thats going to be some super clean water.

Those spare clips will cost you $10 delivered on ebay

from the UK.

That's a very good point about the hose sizes being restrictive. I can however connect an Eheim 2215 to the 2217 and that would solve the problem. It would just mean that I would have to swap filters around from another tank. The 2217 was on sale recently so I couldn't say no lol. Sound familiar?
I was thinking that too' date=' just run a 2215 or 2213 before the 2217. or two... or three... or four.. Was this on AOA? i just saw that and was kicking myself that i didnt see it earlier. they had 2215's for a very good price not long ago also. I need to get a professional, ive had one before and the thing is dead silent. You have to literally press your ear against the head to tell if its running or not.
Youre a freak! Thats going to be some super clean water. Those spare clips will cost you $10 delivered on ebay from the UK.
Ill try and get it from the boys at aquaristics when im back there next week, theyll be only a few dollars different.I need the cleanest of water, giving tbs a second go :)

I think the 2215 will need to be after the 2217 for the hoses to match. Yeah got it from AOA. Couldnt resist another Eheim, they are basic and last a human generation. I'm trialling MarinePure spheres in this one.

My only thought (well my second thought, if I'm honest.. First was YES you can't have enough eheim) was how will you pull the apart to clean without getting water everywhere? It needs taps I between the filters?

I very very rarely clean my canister filters. I find that having and cleaning the sponge filter intake every few weeks is enough. Acts as a prefilter. Only time i clean a filter is if im taking the tank down.

Filter wool/mat to collect any rubbish in the first filter, and the other two just for media would work well, only one would need to be cleaned :D

In terms of finding a chiller that fits your hoses i had a hose problem with my chiller being too large for my canister filter and just used some pipe adjusters and hose clamps.

These guys were very cheap and i was very impressed with the service and product i received.

http://www.duralirrigation.com.au/Product/Joiners-Reducing.html

• 2 weeks later...

Joy to the world!

$11 later and a trip to aquaristics had my once disabled 2215 working again. Got some body clips to hold the head to the brand new body and she works a dream. I do still need to fill her with some expensive media but at least she is back in the workforce and just in time too, i just divided my old 60cm with a 2cm thick sponge for some selective breeding.