substrate

ineke

• HOF Member

Hi,

I've seen a lot of you use soil which is the small round black balls can you please tell me which one that is. I like the look and if I decided to go for Crystals would that be a good one

Cheers

Ineke

• HOF Member

Thanks MickeyG I keep thinking I want Crystals but the more I look into it The more I think I can't afford it!!!!!

Hehe its abit like that, if you was a local I'd have a free bag for you!!! You don't need ro for crs cbs but once you get into higher grades its best, I know a few members who use prime treated aged tap water with great success.

• HOF Member

Damn that would have been great!!! I have had a few PM's that say just give them a go which I'm tempted to do but I don't want to be cruel and give the shrimp a slow death. That is my main concern . Our pura tap will have its yearly new filters put in on Tuesday and that goes through a carbon filter as well. I tried to buy some culls from a seller here in Adelaide but when he saw my water parameters he wouldn't sell which is fair enough. But if I get the right soil to buffer the ph and use my puratap water which even now when the filter needs changing comes out at 211 TDS -just checked it . Decisions decisions!!!!

I've kept A-S grade CRS in just normal tap water without any problems, this was before I got a TDS pen, all I did was add some mineral balls, a small Bee Shrimp mineral rock & 10% WC once a week, the lower grades are as easy as cherries if you keep the WP stable :encouragement:

image-74_zpsa6de8007.jpg

• HOF Member
Haha that's a yes in any shrimpers eyes haha

After reading Squiggles comment I think it might be

• HOF Member
I've kept A-S grade CRS in just normal tap water without any problems' date=' this was before I got a TDS pen, all I did was add some mineral balls, a small Bee Shrimp mineral rock & 10% WC once a week, the lower grades are as easy as cherries if you keep the WP stable :encouragement:

[img']http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a580/Betta_lover/image-74_zpsa6de8007.jpg

I like the sound of that Squiggle both the keeping of the CRS and the knowledge of the hole!!!! Question though why would the lower grades be any easier?

From what I'm lead to believe & correct me if I'm wrong, the more you selectively breed for the specific traits(i.e. the higher the grade) the more fragile the shrimp become & the more susceptible to fluctuations in WP they become. :encouragement:

image-74_zps2c471377.jpg

• HOF Member
From what I'm lead to believe & correct me if I'm wrong' date=' the more you selectively breed for the specific traits(i.e. the higher the grade) the more fragile the shrimp become & the more susceptible to fluctuations in WP they become. :encouragement:

[img']http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a580/Betta_lover/image-74_zps2c471377.jpg

Yes that makes sense as that is the way with any pure breed lines if there is a limited gene pool. At least I can say my water parameters are stable well I'm not sure about the TDS as thats the first time I have used the pen

I think the substrate you are talking about is ADA Amazonia, and from what I understand it is meant to be good with CRS/CBS :)

I was the same as you when I first thought about getting CRS. My water parameters didn't seem quite right and I don't have a RO filter or a chiller, so I was worried about the poor shrimp suffering in the wrong conditions. Ultimately though, I decided to give it a go and bought 4 CRS and 4 CBS. One CRS died within the first couple of days (I cried) because I kept her in a breeder box which I think stressed her too much. It has now been about 5 months and I believe that the rest are still alive, although I never seem to see more than one or two at a time up the front of the tank.

I keep them in my community tank with a combination of pool filter sand and Seachem Flourite for substrate, and use only tapwater treated with Prime. They've shown no interest in breeding, though, so I know something isn't right. The nitrates keep creeping up, so I have a suspicion it might be that >.>

Pretty much, if I were you I would buy a few and have a go :)

• HOF Member

Hi Jess ,

i been told by quite a few people now to give it a go with some low grade shrimp and I think I am going to give it a go. While my WP are not good they are stable and that seems to be the key. I think I would cry too if I thought I had caused a new shrimp to die . Now I have to find someone with some culls that they will sell to me. I tried someone here in Adelaide but he thought my water was just not good enough so declined to sell which is fair enough. I have now done a 50% water change with demineralised water which has brought the TDS down and I'm sure I can adjust the ph with the shrimp soil. Gosh 4 months ago I didn't even know about WP 's LOL I will try and get some soil or use ph down to get that sorted and I'm not worried if they don't breed I just like the colours

cheers

ineke

http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/68-What-are-your-Successful-parameters?p=337&viewfull=1#post337

I don't think CRS are as fragile as they're made out to be (A grades anyway). I bought 30 A grades to start with with forgot to test for nitrates before I added them, nitrates were through the roof and I ended up doing like 30% WC twice a day for a week with tap water+prime. Now I think my soil has lost its buffering after like 4 months and is sitting at pH 7.5 and they're breeding. I haven't lost one yet (knock on wood). Stability is definitely key.

Also IME I wouldn't use pH down because if you have a rock or something in your tank buffering up then the pH would go down for a couple hours and then back up. Shrimp soil is the way to go for ease.

Give it a go, you'll learn faster and obsess more haha

• HOF Member
http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/68-What-are-your-Successful-parameters?p=337&viewfull=1#post337

I don't think CRS are as fragile as they're made out to be (A grades anyway). I bought 30 A grades to start with with forgot to test for nitrates before I added them' date= nitrates were through the roof and I ended up doing like 30% WC twice a day for a week with tap water+prime. Now I think my soil has lost its buffering after like 4 months and is sitting at pH 7.5 and they're breeding. I haven't lost one yet (knock on wood). Stability is definitely key.

Also IME I wouldn't use pH down because if you have a rock or something in your tank buffering up then the pH would go down for a couple hours and then back up. Shrimp soil is the way to go for ease.

Give it a go, you'll learn faster and obsess more haha

I have got them now and will have to wait a while before I can afford the soil. I got an RO system instead and been banned from spending more money for a while but that's next on my list.

cheers

ineke