DIY cooling fans...

jacet

Hi all,

Started a project 5 weeks ago and took me all this time to get all the bit and pieces to build a cooling fan unit for my 250 litre tank... Yep big tank but that is my main display tank and could not keep crystals in there as really struggled to keep it under 26-27 in summer with adding ice blocks and so on... So today on a raining sunday afternoon in brisbane I did my water change cheched the temp and it was 25 as we have had cool weather for the last week so happy with that...

So I made this thing from fans from jaycar and a bit of plastic I machined and bent at work (love the CNC computer router). So it has cost me as much as a normal cooling fan I think but I made it and I can add to it easy enough..

Thing I used is

3 80mm CPU fans, dust and moisture proof

1 piece of white acrylic 4.5mm thick computer cut

2 metres of figure 8

316 stainless steel 5/32 x38mm bolts and nuts to suit

solder and electrial tape

zip ties

60 mins of my time all up...

I will post pics when i up load them to the computer

Happy to answer any question just give me some time to post some pics and i will answer them soon...

post-1938-139909849624_thumb.jpgpost-1938-139909849618_thumb.jpgpost-1108-139909859908_thumb.jpgpost-1938-139909849621_thumb.jpg

They are set on a timer to come on and of with the LED lights so it has a chance to cool a bit before the T5HO come on and cool after they go of.. It has been 20 mins with them on and have already dropped the tank 1 deg already... Not bad for 3 little fans...

As you can see from the pics they are on a 45deg angle facing the surface of the water. They suck the air in from the back of to hood where the holes are for all the filters and leads come into the tank and as a bonus the LED lights really have the ripple affect with the air blowing across the water... I will dig out the specs on the fans over the afternoon...

post-599-139909848594_thumb.jpg

post-599-139909848596_thumb.jpg

post-599-139909848598_thumb.jpg

post-599-139909848599_thumb.jpg

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[/TD]

[TD=class: type]

80mm Super Long-Life Low-Noise MagLev Bearing Case Fan

Featuring a patented Nanoflux bearing that incorporates magnetic levitation technology and precise manufacturing, these premium quality fans ensure an extremely long operational life of 100,000hrs at 40ºC (even longer at 25ºC). The unique self-lubricating maglev bearing design offers extremely long life, extremely low noise levels compared to traditional ball bearings, and also offers the ability for the UV light reactive fan impeller to be removed for cleaning. Dust and water proof to IP54 , these fans are sure to last even in harsh conditions.

[TABLE=class: type]

[TD=bgcolor: #E2E3E3, colspan: 2]Specifications

[TD=width: 193]Voltage (V)[/TD]

[TD=width: 78]12VDC[/TD]

Starting voltage

5VDC

Current (mA)

Dimensions (mm)

80 x 80 x 25

Air volume (m3/min)

Air volume (CFM)

Speed (RPM)

Noise (dBA)

Bearings

Nanoflux magnetic levitation

Housing

Polycarbonate

Impellers

UV reactive polycarbonate

Connections

Flylead with 3 pin molex

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

Do you mind showing us how you wired them up? Is each fan running off it's own transformer?

Looks great jacet! Could have easily bought one but as you said you made it and it feels great when it works and something to be proud of. Just isn't the same feeling when you buy it.