Is it worth changing to ada shrimp soil?

Walshy

Hey guys. I'm pretty new to shrimp but I bought 10 a grade crs a while ago purely because they were $5 each and I found them interesting. Now a little hooked and wanting more lol. I threw them in one of my apisto grow out tanks 30cm cube (the first tank I used to put them in after separating from parents) the tank is heavily planted for cover with some driftwood and standard inert black sander it might be searches fluorite black sand (can't remember which tanks I used which gravel) Water from my tap is about ph6.5 and extremely soft. I have added shrimp balls to add a little minerals to the water because I was told that their shells wouldn't develop properly with nothing in the water. The shrimp seem fine. Breed well. I probably have about 30 to 40 new .5cm juveniles swimming around in there at the moment. My question is. Is it worth my time changing the tank to ada soil? They appear to be fine and I'm getting quite a few baby shrimp growing up but it's difficult to tell if I'm having a high survival rate because u don't see the juveniles until they are large enough to spot. The tank has plenty of inhabitants swimming around that indicate a healthy tank and I've not seen a dead shrimp in there ever really. I am just reading up on them and everyone seems to swear by this ada soil and says it promotes breeding and survival rates. Thanks for your time.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

+1.... if you can easiy maintain a PH (6-7), TDS (>300ppm) & GH (4-8), then there's absolutely no reason to change. A Grades are more tolerant, so what you've describe seems to be working well, so no need IMHO. Got a pic for us ? Would love to see your tank.

Thanks for the quick reply guys :) I will take a few photos when I get a spare moment and post it up. Nothing special. Just a heap of plants aimlessly thrown in there to attempt at keeping nitrates down. It was originally just a grow out tank so no real effort went into it. I keep Indian almond leaves in there because the shrimp appear to enjoy picking at them and eating them so the tank stays a little stained with tannins. I am gonna have my first attempt at aqua scraping with a 40cm cube I picked up not long ago. Will get the ada soil this week and begin the cycle. I want the get a dead bonsai and put some java moss in there to make it appear alive with something that will crawl along the bottom to look like grass. Few rocks here and there too but I'm yet to pick everything up for the tank. I think I'll pick up a 20 watt floodlight for it and get some golden/snow white shrimp and give them a crack. So far compared with my apistos these guys have bin pretty cruise care. So I think the goldens will give me a bit of a challenge. Hopefully not too much of a challenge tho lol.

Just be careful where you source the bonsai. I had the same plan and lucky for me there's a bonsai farm around the corner and the guys told me that they use herbicide on some of the their trees and advised against it. When you look around don't forget to ask.

Don't forget to keep a tank journal, would love to see the build-up. :encouragement:

I would suggest getting some goldvine driftwood & making a mini tree out of that, I was going to do that but I don't have a planted tank anymore :encouragement:

image-74_zps688feae4.jpgimage-74_zps53c8e301.jpg

Wow! That photo is exactly what I wanna do! Lol. Looks so good. The dead bonsai tree ill be buying from my lfs. They are aquarium ready. Expensive but I'm only buying one so ill cop it. I'm still unsure on weather ill use co2 or not but I'm leaning more towards not because of the cost involved. If I only had one tank then spending the dosh on it wouldn't be a concern but I've got like 20 lol. I think eventually ill turn one of my racks into a dedicated shrimp rack. If I can keep the higher grades happy etc :) they are pretty sweet lil things. I enjoy the fact that you just put them in there and take care of the water. No need to sit there for an hour a day making sure they haven't injured each other lol.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• ngoomie
      Alright, I've done a bit more research on gentian violet's cancer-causing potential but I haven't yet done research on malachite green's to compare. But from reading the California propositon 65 document about GV (North Americans incl. some Canadians will recognize this as the law that causes some products they buy to be labelled with "known to the state of California to cause cancer", including the exact product I bought) it seems that the risk of cancer is related to internal use, either injection or ingestion. Speaking of ingestion, I think GV bans mainly relate to its use in treating fish/shrimp/etc. which are intended for human consumption, because of the above. And in countries where GV isn't banned for this purpose, it does seem to get used on various species of shrimp without causing any issue for the shrimp themselves (at least enough so for shrimp farming purposes). See the following: In February, the FDA Began Rejecting Imported Shrimp for Gentian Violet and Chloramphenicol (2022 article by Southern Shrimp Alliance) FDA Starts New Calendar Year by Refusing Antibiotic-Contaminated Shrimp from Three BAP-Certified Indian Processors and Adding a BAP-Certified Vietnamese Processor to Import Alert (2024 article by Southern Shrimp Alliance) Southern Shrimp Alliance and some other organizations have tons of other articles in this vein, but I'd be here for a while and would end up writing an absolutely massive post if I were to link every instance I found of articles mentioning shrimp shipments with gentian violet and/or leucogentian violet registering as contaminants. That being said, I know shrimp farmed for consumption and dwarf shrimp are often somewhat distantly related (in fact, the one time a shrimp's species name is listed that I can see, it's the prawn sp. Macrobrachium rosenbergii, who at best occupies the same infraorder as Neocaridina davidi but nothing nearer), but this at least gives a slightly better way of guessing whether it will be safe for aquarium dwarf shrimp or not than my bladder snail anecdote from the OP.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would hazard a guess that perhaps those eggs were unfertilized and thereby unviable? Did the eggs change colour, usually yellow to grey as the yolks used up, or any eyes in the eggs. Is your water ok, using RO remineralised and the parameters in range, as I have heard others say that if the water isn't good it can 'force' a molt? How is it going overall, do you have a good size colony in the tank, you may have reached 'maximum occupancy' as a tank can only support so many occupants.
    • beanbag
      Hello folks,  The current problem I am having is that my Taiwan bee shrimp are molting before all their eggs have hatched.  Often the shrimp keep the eggs for 40+ days.  During that time, they lose about half or so, either due to dropping or duds or whatever.  Shortly before molting they look to have about a dozen left, and then they molt with about half a dozen eggs still on the shell.  Then the other shirmp will come and eat the shell.  These last few times, I have been getting around 0-3 surviving babies per batch.  I figure I can make the eggs hatch faster by raising the water temperature more (currently around 68F, which is already a few degrees higher than I used to keep it) or make the shrimp grow slower by feeding them less (protein).  Currently I feed Shrimp King complete every other day, and also a small dab of Shrimp Fit alternating days.  Maybe I can start alternating with more vegetable food like mulberry?  or just decrease the amount of food?
    • ngoomie
      Yeah, cancer risk was a thing I'd seen mentioned a lot when looking into gentian violet briefly. I kinda just figured it might only be as bad as the cancer risk of malachite green as well, but maybe I should look into it more. I've been doing a pretty good job of not getting it on my skin and also avoiding dunking my unprotected hands into the tank water while treating my fish at least, though. Maybe I'll just not use it once I'm done this course of medication anyways, because I know a store I can sometimes get to that's pretty distant carries both malachite green and methylene blue, and in pretty large quantities.
    • jayc
      Can't help you with Gentian Violet, sorry. It is banned in Australia violet for potential toxicity, and even possible cancer risks. I thought it was banned in Canada as well. At least, you now know why there isn't much info on gentian violet medication and it's use. But keep an eye on the snails after a week. If it affects the snails, it might not kill them immediately. So keep checking for up to a week. Much safer options out there. No point risking your own life over unsafe products.