Cheapest place to get shrimp caves

OzShrimp

Try Boss aquaria they have the hand made ones 6 tube or 10 for a nice price, they have all your shrimping needs! Also if not fussy and want something cheap try the bamboo logs on ebay, you can get 8 small ones for around $6, works great when you stick one end in substrate http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6x-Charcoal-Aquarium-Shrimp-Breeding-Cave-Nest-5cm-/160620313033?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item2565b779c9.

have you used the bamboo one yourself? The benefit of them is they are individuals so could arrange them in whichever manner i saw fit.

Are you able to continually use the bamboo once no longer affecting the water as i heard it helps with absorbing waste from the water and would hate for it to leach?

have you used the bamboo one yourself? The benefit of them is they are individuals so could arrange them in whichever manner i saw fit.

Are you able to continually use the bamboo once no longer affecting the water as i heard it helps with absorbing waste from the water and would hate for it to leach?

Yes I use them and still do, it has been 3 months now with no problems as long as you keep with your water changes And yes you can arrange them as you see fit for a more natural look. I noticed berried girls go in and refuse entry to anyone else as i bury one end in substrate for some of them. But if worried then I highly recommend the one's that bossaquaria offer, they are great

how did you find they were in terms of symmetrical consistency as i noticed on the ebay pic that they are all different sizes.

I am talking to dean and mix02u about theirs to see which might be best.

I am planning on maybe building a big pyramid out of them.

If you're going to build a pyramid, I would suggest tacking them together with a spot or two of silicone :encouragement:

If you're going to build a pyramid' date=' I would suggest tacking them together with a spot or two of silicone :encouragement:[/quote']

+1, you should use aquarium silicone :congratulatory:

my other thoughts are to stick them out of the substrate and wrap fissidens or something around them :)

I picture those bamboo traps from like the vietnam war sticking out of the holes below a trap door.

Nice idea Ozzie' date=' should look very cool. :encouragement:[/quote']

i hope so! do you have any fissidens for sale/trade lol :P

I got one of these ones' date=' they even come with a bit of moss to put on them.

www.ebay.com.au

Bit on the expensive side there $20+ for that even with the bit of moss, it is only 3 tubes? And even more so if you live in Tas or WA as there will be no moss.

hey i actually missed those ones on their site, they would be pretty cool and i could probably get away with just 2 lots if i went for my spike option, pyramid option probably be quiet costly cause i would need more :(

nothing wrong with more options tho :)

am appreciating the help

• 4 weeks later...

i got my bamboo caves today these ones -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6x-Charco...item2565b779c9

needless to say i am quiet disappointed, there is no consistency between the pieces i was supplied even with prior communication before purchase.

If you have plans to do something nice in terms or making your own pyramid and what not then i would not suggest purchasing these ones.

However the small ones they do sell however inconsistent the size would be perfect for individual ones in a breeder box for shelter.

I wont buy these ones ever again tho.

hope this is helpful for others :)

Lol. I bought them too. Some float. Its made out of charcoal. Cheap. I got 2 big ones and the rest small ones.

Lol. I bought them too. Some float. Its made out of charcoal. Cheap. I got 2 big ones and the rest small ones.

were you satisfied with what you got?

I liked the fact that they were loose so i could position them where i wanted.

Didnt like the charcoal as it smudged when i handled it. Some take time to sink.

Cheap. Get what you pay for. Id rather ceramic ones.

You can get ceramic ones for $12

Thanks for the up Ozshrimp...Was considering buying, but not after reading your post...Cheers mate

What charcoal doesn't smudge at first? That is why they tell you to wash all activated carbon/ charcoal first, even RO systems need to let run for a while first before use. Just soak in a container for a day and they will sink and no longer smudge. Not bad for a few bucks I reckon, you were looking for cheap caves right? Of course the more expensive ones are better as is with all material wares. These are made from bamboo so ofcourse they are not uniform, gives it a more natural feel.

As mentioned earlier I like them because you can plunge one end in substrate, berried females love to hide out in them and guard entry from intruders.

• HOF Member

I'm with you CNgo I bought these soaked them in water for a couple of days as per instructions and my shrimp love them.

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement: