Aquarium cooling

Magikarp

Hey guys I've been looking into some cooling for my tank. The other day I came home and my Crs tank was at 26.8°C so now something has to be done. Atm I've got a 50l with an internal filter.

Just wondering what your experience is with fans & chillers?

Roughly what temp are fans effective till?

I'm planning on upgrading to a 110l and running a eheim 2213 or 2215, do you have any suggestions for this setup?

Thanks,

Nick

G'Day Nick,

Chillers are great, some $ but worth the investment and constant worrying.

One of my chillers struggles with the ambient temperature of the room, so I recently purchased a cooling fan, and it's has brought the temp down from 25-26 to 22-23...the up-aqua cooling fan has a power adjustment...initially had it at 100%, but now it's down to 25%, and tank temp is sitting pretty at 22.5.

post-1622-139909848764_thumb.jpg

Worth a try, especially if you're keeping cherries...

post-24-139909848153_thumb.jpg

Hi Nick, You should consider buying a cooling fan for your 50l tank, as for your 110l tank, you would need a chiller i suppose. But after the heat waves from summer, you should be fine for the rest of the year, no more high temperatures! Horaaay! :)

you should be fine for the rest of the year' date=' no more high temperatures! Horaaay! :)[/quote']

if only we could all say that lol ><

I havent used a cooling fan but would definately agree g et a chiller for the larger tank and if overly concerned you can get chillers for small tanks :)

G'Day Nick' date='

Chillers are great, some $ but worth the investment and constant worrying.

One of my chillers struggles with the ambient temperature of the room, so I recently purchased a cooling fan, and it's has brought the temp down from 25-26 to 22-23...the up-aqua cooling fan has a power adjustment...initially had it at 100%, but now it's down to 25%, and tank temp is sitting pretty at 22.5.

[/quote']

I've read that chillers work with the same principles as a fridge or a/c. Do you find the heat from the unit affects room temp much? I'm still at my parents so everything is in my room. Are chillers noisy?

What do you guys think of these fans?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320728101051?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3073wt_1037

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250999818103?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3048wt_1037

I'm definitely going to get a chiller but I need a quick fix as chillers are not cheap.

I personally wouldnt put a chiller or those fans if my tank was in my bed room, too noisy for me. The fan i got sounds like a hairdryer on low/medium.

From experience of the fan you will lose alot of water from evaporation if its on 100% - from memory i topped up everyday. In the end i bit the bullet and bought a chiller.

with the chiller you will find alot of people have come across ones which are allegedly somewhat quiet but you also need to factor in as someone said the ambient room temperature and what not because obviously if its hot in your room then its going to push the temp of the tank up making the chiller switch on alot more often.

do a search on JBJ Mini-Arctica Chiller if you are after a chiller for a nano tank, never personally used one myself tho i have a hailea 500a for my 4ftr

Yep sure due...they need plenty of access to fresh room air to circulate around them, never a good idea to put them in cabinets under the tank since in hot days the heat exchanger might work against you in a confined space. Same principal as a split aircon.