Sign in to follow this  
BlueBolts

"Hand" Feeding Shrimps ...

BlueBolts

With my eccentric nature, and attempts to formulate a sure way to acclimatise newly acquired shrimps, etc, I use this method of "hand" feeding shrimps, to ensure they settle in well, and get some immediate nutrition. I've practised this with all my exotic shrimps over the past 12+ months, and have 100% success rate...no doubt water parameters, quality of stock...etc, have a critical role, but ensuring they have food/nutrition in them whilst settling in, is as critical. I do this ONLY for the 1st 3 days, and if they're eating and taking the food well, I stop worrying... Also use this routine for berried females .....

th_39F04ACC-815E-40B6-A1F3-5D8F55316F87-10226-00000CA9E8FE9A05.jpg

lachie1998

Link doesnt work :(

BlueBolts

Damn...how do you get a video from photo bucket to here, without linking all my photobucket files ?

zacsbee89

deleted this post as video now plays

lachie1998

To post a video you click on the little image that looks like abit of film next to the picture of a tree and the little speech bubble.

BlueBolts
To post a video you click on the little image that looks like abit of film next to the picture of a tree and the little speech bubble.

Yes tried it, but it doesn't show it like a TV on the thread ? Unsure whether its just the way photobucket does it. Will start another thread asking this question.

lachie1998

It just comes up as a pic and then you click on it and takes you to photobucket.

Works for me now, The shrimp dont even seem scared to eat it from the tweezers :encouragement:

Triggs

Don't you use [ video ] tags rather than [ IMG ] ?

BlueBolts
Don't you use [ video ] tags rather than [ IMG ] ?

I've got the vid on photo bucket..not sure about the video tag there....seams like youtube is the way to do it best ?

Gbang

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w515/bluebolts/39F04ACC-815E-40B6-A1F3-5D8F55316F87-10226-00000CA9E8FE9A05.mp4

arrrggghhhh dang i tried to do it for u doesn't work....best is youtube

Gbang

OMG THAT IS SOOOO CUUUUUTTTTEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emboli

Hahaha! It looks mighty grateful!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Crabclaw
      Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it! As for the details, the tank is my 110L community, and while none of my fish are especially expensive or special, but I don’t want to lose any or have to rescape. The reason I was hoping to avoid qt is bc I don’t have a spare tank or filter atm. I think I will qt I think. How long should I do it for, and do I need to cycle the tank very long?
    • beanbag
      Hello folks, This is in regards to my TB tank that has had shrimp for about 2 months now.  The shrimp came in two batches from different vendors - one was two BKK and the other was a bunch of RWP and BB.  Everything was going well for about 2 months with the shrimps actively grazing around and suddenly I found one of the BKK dead and upright in a corner of the tank.  I usually do a check-up on the shrimp every day and the only time the shrimp are inert is one day before and after a molt.  In the past when I had shrimp die for various reasons they would be inert for a few days prior. The water parameters are the same as usual: Amm/NO2/NO3 = 0, ph = 6.0 or a little lower, GH 5, TDS 110 Using RO + SS GH+ and I did a 15% water change 2 days ago, dripping in the new water. I haven't fed any pellet shrimp food for a while because there are still lots of patches of algae in the tank, plus one IAL, plus they finished off a mulberry leaf 2 days ago. Nothing looks odd on the dead body of this shrimp (no real color loss) except the clear parts like antennae and tip of tail are a little orange.  (I think this is typical of shrimp that have died?  Or a molt shell once you remove it from the water and expose it to air.) The only odd things about this shrimp are that in the 2 months, it molted a few times but never grew much (or at all) over the original 1/2" size.  About a month ago, the white parts of it started turning blue.  The other BKK that came at the same time also either hasn't grown at all or maybe just a tiny bit, and only has little patches of blue.  The other batch of shrimp from a different breeder (RWP and BB) have grown significantly over this time. Anyway, the rest of the shrimp seem to still be doing well and actively grazing.  (Actually, two are acting quiet, but it is still within the pre-molt time frame) I hope it's not bacterial infection, but what can I do to prevent / prepare?  I have available: Dr Tim's Eco balance, Doxycycline (fish med), oregano oil, melafix, H2O2.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I agree with JayC and have N|EVER quarantined personally, but there is also something a little more to consider. My setups are small and simple/basic and don't have many fish  - all about 30L max! If you have spent a lot of time and money setting up a beautiful tank, cycling it etc and then you introduce fish with some sort of disease or parasite you will need to TREAT the tank or may even have to re-setup the tank, if you put those sick fish in it so not only will you lose the fish you may have wasted a lot of time and money, and may have to completely start again from scratch, and never be 100% confident it/they won't recur. You may have to cycle etc again, buy new stuff depending on what the treatment was etc? I would say if you have a small bare bottom tank with a spare filter WHY not quarantine for the peace of mind? I am aware of course that I  am being hypocritical in saying this..............................so just a thought! Simon
    • jayc
      If they are the first inhabitants in a tank, then not needed. Beyond that, it's difficult to answer as it is a personal choice. we never value the quarantine process, until we REALLY need it, by the time we find out, it's too late. And we always wish we had quarantined. If it was me, my thought process goes like this ... i ask myself, do I already have inhabitants in the tank that are so rare and precious that I absolutely CANNOT loose due to disease? If the answer is Yes, than I quarantine any new tank inhabitants - fish or plants.
    • Crabclaw
      Hey all. So, I'm getting some cory cats in the near future, and I want to know if I need to quarantine them. I know a guy at my lfs really well, and I trust the store, so I might be able to get them to hold and quarantine them for me for a week. I'd prefer to just add them straight to the tank if it's possible though. If not, then I can sort a qt tank soon. Thanks in advance