Suggested breeding boxes

sajica

I was wondering what type of breeding box everyone uses? I have a few of the mesh type fry savers kicking around, but everyone seems to use the sudo type breeding boxes so you can see the shrimp. I want something that's relatively escape proof, because I'm at the stage I'm running out of space and I don't want shrimp escaping and knocking up different types.

So.... post away.

Aquamanta large external secure lid sectionable too 3 compartments.Have 8 at the monent will be getting another 8.They run on air and have found if you remove the ceramic airstone you get better flow.I use them split into 3 and 2 of them per 4ft tank This gives me 6 different sets of breeders on a 4ft grow out.I just syphon of shrimplets to the grow out.

Id say the aquamanta large ones are a goer too. Have two and at the great price I may grab a few more.

Hey daydream takin off the ceremic diffuser, do you get the gurglin noise the sudoboxes have?

Lucky man mate, my tank is in the spareroom so don't have such luck. Didn't wanna put my hands in the tank so I thought I'd ask. Great lil boxes tho

yes i love em.Used them for apisto and cory fry.Had 140 tanks in the fishroom and now down to 20 over the last 12 months if i didnt have my breeder boxes I/d die

Wowsers man I bet they play a big part in your room then. I've been on the hunt for a small powerhead to attach to the uplift pipe but haven't been in luck yet.

How escape proof are these boxes? Do you mind taking a few photos so I can look at them in closer detail?

I use the Large and Slim M Sudo boxes myself and I find them great.

I'm looking after some shrimp for a friend at the moment and the first night I had them in the Large Sudo and the next morning there was not many left in there, they were able to climb out and jump into the tank. Just be careful that the sudo is not tilted to far towards tge tank and also that you don't have too much frogbit in there as that was how they climbed out.

I'm starting to hear some negatives however like the shrimp stop breeding in the boxes. My cherries have breed in there before but not much more.

Not good at posting photos but will get Gbang to take and upload some.havent had any escape yet have clips on th lid

The clips just keep the lid on, There is an over flow on the sudo just in case the outflow gets blocked it will flow over the tank side and run into the tank rather than onto the floor. They were climbing onto the frogbit and then crawling out the overflow gap and dragging themselves into the tank. Was actually pretty amazing to watch.

I'm looking for something that reduces the likelihood of escapees...... and would also consider in tank ones. We have some at work but they're not shrimp proof *shakes fist*

I am confuse with this topic as I have never seen any of my shrimp escaping from the box?

if you guys are referring to the outlet, the original Sudo makes a upgrade mesh kit which will stop any shrimplet escape from the box which any other imitation version don't make.

IMO Sudo breeding box are made for selective breeding or to hold shrimp temporarily, i've seen ppl breeding cherry/crs in them too but I don't recommend anyone to use them as a "grow out box".

Hey Kitz,

I had the upgrade mesh as well. They were smart and used the frogbit to help climb through the over flow on the front which I did not even realise was there till after this occurred. I was at work and I had my mother call me frantic as she thought someone had broken in and stolen them as they were not not on the sudo and she could not see them on the floor or in the tank(they were hiding).

I use several types, but like the internal breeding boxes, although they do take up space .... I've got a couple of used ones if you're interested for a try before you buy ?

post-1377-139909848275_thumb.jpg

post-24-139909847666_thumb.jpg

I recieved my sudo box from kitz today! Rather suprised at how quiet it is! Got it setup for some selective breeding. However the female yellow i was going to use died the other day. :-(

@trav, I was gonna tell the same story but with the roles reversed lol

I have to admit I'm a bit of a brand snob, in this circumstance probably unnecessarily.

Sudo to me has always done the job it was asked to (temporarily house a few selected shrimp) I have not had great success in housing them permanently in a sudo (but I suppose its an awesome excuse to have to set up another tank)

I'm always a bit hesitant to try a copy brand, as I would hate to save $5 and loose $500 worth of shrimp, having said that temptation is always hard to ignore :)

But in regards to the upgrades kitz mentioned they do practically shrimp proof the box and turn it into an amazing product.

Could you get a shot of where the water returns back to the tank Glen? I'm curious if it's a small return like the Sudo boxes or different style.

How much are those Aquamanta boxes going for over there?

I'm still considering the Sudo boxes with upgrades. I'm a sucker for upgrades :p

531FA660-F17F-4BC7-913D-BE3FC0CDA0BE-123-00000002579E94EF.jpg

This in an internal one I got from China, the photo is a 10x10x10, the one I have is a 30x10x10. The holes are small enough for shrimplets to escape but the adults are only able to go out from the top, where I keep it blocked with the divider that comes with breeding box. However I found that it has bad water circulation and I still think the ones are the Aquaone net types. I seen one on SS which is a combination of plastic and SS mesh on the sides, that was pretty special.

no need to saj. the aqua manta box is an exact replica of the sudo with the exception of the intake where there is a airstone in it lol. but are great i highly rate them