Dino Plant fertilisers from Aquagreen

fishmosy

C678568D-78B0-435D-B21B-43A8F0C56FED-1685-000003208911F68C.jpg

First thing you need to know about these products is that these are designed for use with what I call a 'mid tech aquarium'. If you have plants that require medium to high light, require fertiliser but not necessarily CO2, then these may be good for you. My tank is set up this way, so I can't comment for lower or higher tech tanks.

I have been using these fertilisers from Aquagreen for the past six months or so with plants including crinums, bucephalandra, java ferns, crypts, bolbitus, amazon swords amongst others.

The three fertilisers I use are:

Dino Pee (liquid fertiliser)

Dino Spit (glutaldehyde)

Dino Dung (fertiliser tablets)

As per instruction on the bottle, For a six foot tank, I dose 0.5mL of Dino Pee daily, 1.0mL Dino Spit every second day (and spot dose if required) and use the fertiliser tablets in the soil below the (potted) plants every few months.

Given these dosage rates, the 500mL bottles will last a long time!

Also note the glutaldehyde in the Dino Spit is very concentrate, far more so than other commercial products (e.g. Florish Excel which I have used in the past), and so far cheaper in comparison.

I have had no problems with algae since switching from other commercial premix fertiliser products, which I occasionally had problems with BBA. I only have to scrape a little bit of green spot from the glass every couple of weeks, which I (and others) consider to be a good sign in planted tanks.

I keep riffle shrimp, rainbowfish, an SAE and glassfish in this tank and haven't had any negative reactions from them even when experimentally doubling the reccomended dose of Dino Spit when spot dosing newly introduced plants.

Given I paid approx $50 for these three products I am very happy and consider these great value for money. I'd highly reccommend these to everybody.

• Like 1

I have not tested but I believe they would raise TDS. I don't worry about TDS in this tank as its a planted tank with fish and shrimp, not a shrimp tank with plants.

• 1 month later...

I own the Dino Spit and Dino Dung and I find them great products.

Reliable and at a good price too.

I have a question.

Dino Dung - does it contain iron?

Nice post Fishmosy :D

Have you had any experience using Dino Spit in tanks containing CRS? I'm going through environmental factors one by one to try and figure out why mine aren't breeding, and have been wondering whether the gluteraldehyde could be contributing at all.

I own the Dino Spit and Dino Dung and I find them great products.

Reliable and at a good price too.

I have a question.

Dino Dung - does it contain iron?

Don't know mate. I'd assume there would be some but its only a guess.

• Like 1

Nice post Fishmosy :D

Have you had any experience using Dino Spit in tanks containing CRS? I'm going through environmental factors one by one to try and figure out why mine aren't breeding' date=' and have been wondering whether the gluteraldehyde could be contributing at all.[/quote']

Sorry haven't used them with CRS. I've heard that glutaraldehyde is OK with shrimp as long as it isn't overdosed.

I too have been using Aquagreen products for a while, have been very happy with the results, so little needs to be used that it's hardly disappearing from the bottles.

• 1 month later...

The Dinosaur Dung does contain iron, it is from the blood and bone fertilier blended into the clay. There would also be some iron in the clay but without expensive analysis it would be hard to say how much.

Thanks for the nice appraisal Fishmosey. It is hard to get the little dinosaurs to crap enough, we need more dinosaurs. Attached is a photo of a dinosaur working.

Cheers

Dave

post-1462-139909849497_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Picked a stray bit up off the floor in the lfs I work at the other day.

Asked my mate "is this poo?"

He said "yep"

"awesome" I replied, and put it into one of the planted displays.

I turned around to see the most mortified looking customer who had over heard.

"uh I can explain......"

• Like 4