Found this moss today

bailey88

Went out 4x4ing today at a local spot called Captains crossing in Mia Mia state national park have got more pics but they are on camera still will upload later .. This is what I found it was attached to a tree the tree was partially submerged along side a flowing

Creek so the moss it's self was not submerged but was very wet I collected some hoping I would be able to use it in a tank does anyone know if it would be possible to use this moss submerged

post-888-139909858869_thumb.jpgpost-888-13990985887_thumb.jpg

post-206-139909858392_thumb.jpg

post-206-139909858395_thumb.jpg

I've been collecting all sorts of mosses to see how they grow submerged. I haven't come across any that flourish, but many do survive and just have very poor growth. Fishmossy is right, your best bet is to just give it a go ;)

Just an update placed some on stainless mesh on a splash zone from my tap it will not be submerged but will always be damp lights arnt over it 100% I'd say close to 25% light post-29-139909847557_thumb.jpg

post-696-139909847558_thumb.jpg

post-206-139909847225_thumb.jpg

post-206-139909847228_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the encouragement I just hope I do it right and not kill this specimen.. is there anyway to know or find out what the specimen actually is ???

Guest ANTHONYRAE

Mosses are notoriously difficult to identify.Growth pattern is not always reliable because it changes so much with the conditions.The only reliable way is to examine a fruiting body and these are rarely produced underwater.

In Singapore,a world expert,Dr Tan is the best bet.You send him a sample with fruit and hope he replies.

Some help is to be found here......http://www.aquamoss.net/Moss-List.htm

Guest ANTHONYRAE

Or you can go through the australian government Bryology PDFs available online.

Google Australian bryophyte culture and check the gov sites.

It's another world........some people prefer to take a chance with my guess...haha.

Lol thanks once again Anthony you've been a big help I hope I find something :)

Guest ANTHONYRAE
Lol thanks once again Anthony you've been a big help I hope I find something :)

You're welcome.As I said' date='the Smartasses get special treatment.:encouragement:

And you don't have to live in QLD!

Mosses are coldwater plants....imagine the potential in Tasmania.[Just take your own partner'].

I hope you do too bb imagine the quality of shrimp on this side of oz then lol

Got game today tied some on a few rocks put into RCS as its got co2 [ATTACH]1550[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1551[/ATTACH]

post-206-139909847353_thumb.jpg

post-206-139909847356_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...