Kelly

Mixed caridina project

Kelly

So I decided to get into the shrimp breeding hobby. I got 30ish rili/red  neo caridina  and some caridina mix together in a temporary 8 gallon tank. I will be giving some noes to my sister family that also has a tank soon. I just set up a 10 gallon for the caridina.  The noes seems to like the water in 8 gallon  tank. About 3 berried females!  I bought  rio water for the 10 gallon and use it with half tap water. There’s fluval substrate for shrimp and plants in both tanks. I have Java fern, star lily, drawf  hair grass, cyrpt, tiger lotus, Java moss, Anubis  and soon I add baby tears for plants. I also have Malaysia driftwood.  I’m also using nutrafin  cycle to speed up the new tank cycle process. Now I’m not planning on breeding a certain type of caridina but creating something hopefully interesting.... I have raccoon tigers, couple black crystals, 1 red crystal, few red tibees according to big al but who really know? They just look cool to me and different then what they usually carry...and  one black shrimp which I’m unsure if it’s a pinto....it’s small.  It’s black with very thin lines. It’s in a breeding cage because he be very very very very hard to see in 8 gallon since the back of tank is also black.  Anyway I keep you posted. I would post pictures but I’m not good at it.

Edited by Kelly
  • Like 2

sdlTBfanUK

Having a mixed Caridina tank is wonderful and you probably won't get any uninteresting offspring!

My only concern would be using tap water, albeit 50/50. It has never worked for me with Caridina shrimp and I have only come across one person with whom it worked, though I do believe they were also based in Canada, but she hasn't been on here for some time now. It would be safer to use 100% RO water and remineralise with shrimp minerals GH+. The neocaridina should be fine with (dechloinated) tap water, as you seem to already be experiencing. I could keep caridina shrimp for a month or more in tap water but they gradually died off and any babies they had died soon as well. 

You seem to have a nice variety of plants as well, be careful if you plan to use CO2 though as that doesn't work well with shrimps if you plan on that?

I hope it all works out and look forward to reading about your experience and some photos.

I would recommend getting water parameter test kits (GH, KH, PH, TDS) for the caridina tank, especially if using 50/50 water, though using 100% RO water plus minerals you may only need a TDS pen/meter.

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK