How long have start breeding my CRS shrimps?

lebowskia

Hello everyone  I have 19 CRS shrimp, here is my shrimps in pics, they are very small yet? when gonna they breeding? and they are doesn't grazing around much, usuallu hiding is that normal? and they are not interested much with food, just sometimes I saw 1 - 2 shrimp on food.

my water parameters:

TDS: 290 ( I know it's much, I use RO water but not like full osms, it's RO for drinkink water but I will fix it)

Temp: 23 - 24 °C

I don't know other parameters

this is my tank and shrimps:

886358517_WhatsAppImage2020-08-15at20_18.05(1).thumb.jpeg.dd27d8a8ed43903df48084bed03c469a.jpeg892505544_WhatsAppImage2020-08-15at20_18_06.thumb.jpeg.f28b89905a31261c94d702612c00e50c.jpeg979146607_WhatsAppImage2020-08-15at20_18_04.thumb.jpeg.e6711af9fd8ca9f8c7f13802397d9bbf.jpeg

Edited by lebowskia
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, lebowskia said:

when gonna they breeding?

Maybe at about 7-8 months old. Your shrimp look really young.

usuallu hiding is that normal?

When they are new to a tank, they usually hide. But they should be exploring soon. If they continue hiding, then there might be something wrong with the environment.

Just make sure that the tank has been properly cycled. This tank looks very new, have you cycled the tank?

it's RO for drinkink water but I will fix it

RO for drinking removes all dissolved solids, but add Alkalinity back in because humans should not be drinking acidic water that has 0 minerals. You can use this RO system, IF you remove the Alkaline filter. Otherwise this is the wrong water to be used. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jayc said:

When they are new to a tank, they usually hide. But they should be exploring soon. If they continue hiding, then there might be something wrong with the environment.

Just make sure that the tank has been properly cycled. This tank looks very new, have you cycled the tank?

RO for drinking removes all dissolved solids, but add Alkalinity back in because humans should not be drinking acidic water that has 0 minerals. You can use this RO system, IF you remove the Alkaline filter. Otherwise this is the wrong water to be used.

thanks for your answers, yes I have cycled tank for 2 week before add shrimps.

Edited by lebowskia
  • Like 1

2 weeks... is that with ammonia? Or extra beneficial bacteria? Cuz leaving a tank for 2 weeks with nothing producing or consuming ammonia won't cycle it.

You also should probably get more tests. pH is a must. GH and KH are quite necessary for shrimps too. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate will not be as crucial for shrimp as they would be for fish, but still a good idea to have. 

On 8/16/2020 at 9:18 AM, jayc said:
On 8/16/2020 at 3:36 AM, lebowskia said:

when gonna they breeding?

Also I would second this. They look about a month or 2 old. They might start breeding a couple months into next year? For now just try to make sure they survive (and thrive!) in their new home.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Crabby said:

2 weeks... is that with ammonia? Or extra beneficial bacteria? Cuz leaving a tank for 2 weeks with nothing producing or consuming ammonia won't cycle it.

You also should probably get more tests. pH is a must. GH and KH are quite necessary for shrimps too. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate will not be as crucial for shrimp as they would be for fish, but still a good idea to have. 

Also I would second this. They look about a month or 2 old. They might start breeding a couple months into next year? For now just try to make sure they survive (and thrive!) in their new home.

thanks for answer, yes I realize that now 2 weeks is a little time, not with ammonia or beneficial bacteria, btw one shrimp died today and it's was a piece of shell on shrimp, I think die while molting right? why it's can be happened? because of I didn't cycle my tank enaogh? or my tds is stable 280 - 300ppm, I know it's high but it's that high to cause of shrimp deats? it was a mistake only 2 weeks cycle but I'm doing my best now, only problem now is TDS value. and I will get more test.

• Sad 1

It could be either the TDS or lack of sufficient cycle. We can't really know for sure which it is until you have some more tests. Sorry to hear that though. Could you attach a photo of the 'shell' on the shrimp?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Crabby said:

It could be either the TDS or lack of sufficient cycle. We can't really know for sure which it is until you have some more tests. Sorry to hear that though. Could you attach a photo of the 'shell' on the shrimp?

okay thank you, I will get more test, oh I take the shrimp already, it's been hours.

• Like 2

It does sound like a moulting issue, which is a common issue!

Your TDS is double that it should be so your other parameters are likely to be way off as well. You should get GH test kit, KH test kit, PH test kit.

Is the RO drinking water that you used something you made or something bought bottled?

Simon

3 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

It does sound like a moulting issue, which is a common issue!

Your TDS is double that it should be so your other parameters are likely to be way off as well. You should get GH test kit, KH test kit, PH test kit.

Is the RO drinking water that you used something you made or something bought bottled?

Simon

I understand, it's RO water system for drinking water that I bought

Edited by lebowskia
  • Like 1

Can yo remove the part as mentioned by JayC or is it plumbed in so you are using it for drinking?

If you can't alter it you could buy a ZEROWATER filter just to remove the alkalinity and make it pure RO water, you can get these either from amazon/ebay or you may be able to get one from here (I know they have sent to others abroad:

https://zerowater.co.uk/?variant=48184661572

Simon

11 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Can yo remove the part as mentioned by JayC or is it plumbed in so you are using it for drinking?

If you can't alter it you could buy a ZEROWATER filter just to remove the alkalinity and make it pure RO water, you can get these either from amazon/ebay or you may be able to get one from here (I know they have sent to others abroad:

https://zerowater.co.uk/?variant=48184661572

Simon

maybe I can remove that if I can't I can but that, I didn't know that, it's looks really cool, thank you

• Like 1