Tying Java Moss

Kaizen088

I just tried my hand at tying some Java Moss to some driftwood.

Not too bad for a first attempt.

This is my tank I've setup to house my new Chocolates and Yellows.

It's a 2' x 2' x 1' high (100 litres) on a 500 litre system.

So far I have 4 x Chocolates and 7 x Yellows.

Feedback/ideas on scaping invited...

Mate great job!!! It looks very good. Just give it a few weeks and you will see the moss branch out. Trust me it will look amazing

Hi Kaisen088

I would recommend you re-tie that moss onto the driftwood - you've tied it on too thick. What might happen is the java moss underneath wont get enough light and will die. Your moss then wont be able to attach to the drifwood and possibly fall off. So to save you trouble in the future I would re-tie it.

With moss, less is often more. It will grow more beautiful and attach better if you only tie on a thin layer, just covering the wood. This means the layer attached onto the wood will recieve direct light and will atttach better. This will also mean the moss will have more room to spread and grow more beautiful and less messy.

1.jpgcreekshrimp2.jpg

Just a suggestion :)

Thanks for the tip, this will allow me to completely redo this one all over and have enough left over to do another small piece of driftwood.

I used fishing line to tie it, have read about people using invisible thread. Any suggestions?

I know people like to use cotton thread (green colour) because it eventually rots away and you don't have to remove it once the moss attaches like you would have to if you used fishing line. I normally use fishing line because it's easy to find. I normally buy the smallest I can find which is about 1kg breaking strain. Once the moss attaches some people cut the fishing line away but I usually just leave it as the moss normally grows over it making it hard to see plus I'm just plain lazy.

Also one last tip, make sure you tie the moss on pretty tight so it hugs the driftwood (like in the pics). The moss will grow out nicer this way.

Depending on the moss/plants, and how much you have to do, you can use superglue. I use it for putting small amounts of moss on new tiles, or for small plants that are fiddly to tie on. Just be aware superglue turns white when submerged but you only need a tiny amount anyway.

Kaizen - That looks much better mate :encouragement:

Neo-shrimp - Sorry I can't remember what they were mate. I can't even remember where I got them from. That picture was taken about 4-5 years ago.

• 4 weeks later...