Shrimp rack.

sjn5188

Hey im thinking about building a new shrimp rack i have done a quick drawing of the setup its 3 five foot tanks in total and a sump underneath. each tank will be divided into 5 sections. I'm going to either have each section drilled at the back or just one out at one end and allow water to pass through each divider. will also have sponges in each section and a 2000lhr pump running it. Your thoughts would be appreciated

shrimprack.png

After running 2 5 footers on top of one another with a sump for a while now I have some possible things to think about.

If you have any issues with one of the tanks it is too hard to isolate it with only one stand pipe, I think you would be better drilling them all.

I seem to get weird flow patterns and some severe dead spots where crap builds up because of the flow through the dividers so I prefer a spray bar in each.

Also a 2000Lph pump may be a bit on the low side, by the time you account for the total head loss you could be looking at <1000 depending on how you plumb it.

Also by the time you add lights or whatever 15 cm is pretty small and I found it difficult to work sometimes with the 20+cm I have on mine. Especially if you put driftwood or anything in there.

Can't wait to see pics of this once its set up though. Its going to be amazing.

I would like more space but my room is really low so thats maxed out as it is, so i guess i will have to deal with it. :(

Yeah i guess drilling all sections would be better. I was going to put an intake in each section no matter what. Its just in the dreaming/planning stages, getting prices on things first before its a go.

Also by the time you add lights or whatever 15 cm is pretty small and I found it difficult to work sometimes with the 20+cm I have on mine. Especially if you put driftwood or anything in there.

Too true, the more space the better.15cm is definitely too small.

I would like more space but my room is really low so thats maxed out as it is' date=' so i guess i will have to deal with it. :(

Yeah i guess drilling all sections would be better. I was going to put an intake in each section no matter what. Its just in the dreaming/planning stages, getting prices on things first before its a go.[/quote']

All good, ask as many questions as you can, I kinda wished I did before I set up my first rack as it isn't as good as I would like now.

Do you really need 15 sections running all the same water parameters? What about just using 2 5' tanks?

Thanks for the drawing/sketch sjn5188....a overflow/spray bar on each tank is always a must for me..... It allows you to segregate each tank, by just turning off the outflow, dropping the water level just below the overflow, thus enabling only the air filter to work, or a separate cannister/overhang filter etc...to take over. In my breeding setup, I have a spare filter for emergencies to do just that.

Depending on your selective breeding plans, 15 divisions is a lot...but with the different variations of shrimps, it's never enough I guess. Having part of the tanks having the ability of having a different system would be great. Especially of this is the only breeding setup...if you have another, then that's ok....

The planning is as much fun as the build....but never as exciting as when the system is cycled, and the shrimps go in !

Im also planning a similar thing, is it better to have 2 pumps in the sump one going into each tank or can the lines in 1 pump be divided to push water into each tank?

Im also planning a similar thing' date=' is it better to have 2 pumps in the sump one going into each tank or can the lines in 1 pump be divided to push water into each tank?[/quote']

You can do both options. I'm going with one big pump and running a line up to the top tank across and down and across to the second tank with a tee piece and valve running into each section every section will have in in line and an out aswell. So if i wanted too I could seperate a section off from the rest.

I use two pumps for my four tank rack . One pump runs from the sump through my cooler, The other is a pond pump that pumps water from the sump through a jabsco upright filter, to the top tank with branches coming from the main line to each tank carrying water to each tank through a submerged spray bar. Each tank is drilled and I have an overflow connected to a return line running opposite to the up line. I have filter material in the sump and it is also home to all my cherry culls.These pics might give you an idea.post-206-139909858503_thumb.jpgpost-206-139909858506_thumb.jpgpost-206-139909847267_thumb.jpg