Welcome Buggins

Buggins

SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) welcomes Buggins.

Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

View Member

regards,
skfadmin

Welcome to skf aquatics@Buggins :-) please share your stories and don't hesitate to ask any questions there's a wealth of knowledge here. The stickies in the subforums are fantastic to read too!

[emoji173] [emoji111] [emoji444]
Will

I should have joined this forum ages ago. Every so often I lament not having any friends that share my interest in shrimp and aquarium plants, and subject my friends (who don't share my interest) to lots of pictures and monologues :) They're quite nice about it really, but it's obvious they'd rather be talking about the movie we just saw etc...

I thought I'd link some pictures of my aquariums so people can see what I do

I've since put a bubble filter and a heater in this aquarium. Please excuse the poor lighting and scratches ( $5 aquarium ) I think the choice of wood and plant matches up really well here, and I reckon I cut the base to make it sit just right

33346249180_27a295ff68_b.jpg

I love the shapes of willow moss. Fine enough to draw you in and large enough to see from a distance. I like raising these "nano driftwood pieces" up so you can see the underside of the canopy. I also like the lava-rock base. It does a great job of housing bacteria. Both of the aquariums I've put it in have gotten really stable water clarity.

33346260040_84291102a4_b.jpg

Lastly some full size anubia on gold vine. This ones pretty new so I'm looking forward to seeing how it grows

33346252270_7876bafaea_z.jpg

Edited by Buggins
embedded images fix... I hope
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, NoGi said:

@Buggins your images didn't come through.

Damn, and thankyou. I used the insert image from url option to link to my google photos. It appears for me... but I already know what they look like. guess thats not the right way to do it

1 minute ago, Buggins said:

Damn, and thankyou. I used the insert image from url option to link to my google photos. It appears for me... but I already know what they look like. guess thats not the right way to do it

It's the right way but make sure you grab the right URL. It should be the full url with .jpg/.gif/.png etc.. at the end

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NoGi said:

It's the right way but make sure you grab the right URL. It should be the full url with .jpg/.gif/.png etc.. at the end

Google photos doesn't seem to want people using their photo storage for embedding on forums. I switched from google photos to Flickr, does it work now?

• Like 1

Love the plants and wood. Very artistic. I'm really keen to see any of the interesting neo hybrids you've managed to breed if you got any pics of them please!

[emoji173] [emoji111] [emoji444]
Will

Thanks everyone, It's nice to feel so welcome:)

On 3/31/2017 at 9:19 AM, revolutionhope said:

Love the plants and wood. Very artistic. I'm really keen to see any of the interesting neo hybrids you've managed to breed if you got any pics of them please!

emoji173.pngemoji111.pngemoji444.png
Will

So it turns out I don't have a camera with manual focus, I've done my best with a samsung tablet and a waterproof camera. I'm not sure how to change the display size of the pictures... sorry about that, if I figure it out or some kind soul tells me how I'll edit them smaller. Here's two pics of the velvet blues with faded-in red tails I told you about

P1000966P1000965

And these are second a third generations of blue dreams, blue velvets, blue blacks, random blueish culls and a few random healthy shrimp that had something I liked, like a white back stripe I thought might become blue over generations, or not much colouring of any kind but damn thats a big cherry shrimp etc

P1000953P1000954

P1000959

20170402_123013

20170402_123639

20170402_125045

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• ngoomie
      Alright, I've done a bit more research on gentian violet's cancer-causing potential but I haven't yet done research on malachite green's to compare. But from reading the California propositon 65 document about GV (North Americans incl. some Canadians will recognize this as the law that causes some products they buy to be labelled with "known to the state of California to cause cancer", including the exact product I bought) it seems that the risk of cancer is related to internal use, either injection or ingestion. Speaking of ingestion, I think GV bans mainly relate to its use in treating fish/shrimp/etc. which are intended for human consumption, because of the above. And in countries where GV isn't banned for this purpose, it does seem to get used on various species of shrimp without causing any issue for the shrimp themselves (at least enough so for shrimp farming purposes). See the following: In February, the FDA Began Rejecting Imported Shrimp for Gentian Violet and Chloramphenicol (2022 article by Southern Shrimp Alliance) FDA Starts New Calendar Year by Refusing Antibiotic-Contaminated Shrimp from Three BAP-Certified Indian Processors and Adding a BAP-Certified Vietnamese Processor to Import Alert (2024 article by Southern Shrimp Alliance) Southern Shrimp Alliance and some other organizations have tons of other articles in this vein, but I'd be here for a while and would end up writing an absolutely massive post if I were to link every instance I found of articles mentioning shrimp shipments with gentian violet and/or leucogentian violet registering as contaminants. That being said, I know shrimp farmed for consumption and dwarf shrimp are often somewhat distantly related (in fact, the one time a shrimp's species name is listed that I can see, it's the prawn sp. Macrobrachium rosenbergii, who at best occupies the same infraorder as Neocaridina davidi but nothing nearer), but this at least gives a slightly better way of guessing whether it will be safe for aquarium dwarf shrimp or not than my bladder snail anecdote from the OP.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would hazard a guess that perhaps those eggs were unfertilized and thereby unviable? Did the eggs change colour, usually yellow to grey as the yolks used up, or any eyes in the eggs. Is your water ok, using RO remineralised and the parameters in range, as I have heard others say that if the water isn't good it can 'force' a molt? How is it going overall, do you have a good size colony in the tank, you may have reached 'maximum occupancy' as a tank can only support so many occupants.
    • beanbag
      Hello folks,  The current problem I am having is that my Taiwan bee shrimp are molting before all their eggs have hatched.  Often the shrimp keep the eggs for 40+ days.  During that time, they lose about half or so, either due to dropping or duds or whatever.  Shortly before molting they look to have about a dozen left, and then they molt with about half a dozen eggs still on the shell.  Then the other shirmp will come and eat the shell.  These last few times, I have been getting around 0-3 surviving babies per batch.  I figure I can make the eggs hatch faster by raising the water temperature more (currently around 68F, which is already a few degrees higher than I used to keep it) or make the shrimp grow slower by feeding them less (protein).  Currently I feed Shrimp King complete every other day, and also a small dab of Shrimp Fit alternating days.  Maybe I can start alternating with more vegetable food like mulberry?  or just decrease the amount of food?
    • ngoomie
      Yeah, cancer risk was a thing I'd seen mentioned a lot when looking into gentian violet briefly. I kinda just figured it might only be as bad as the cancer risk of malachite green as well, but maybe I should look into it more. I've been doing a pretty good job of not getting it on my skin and also avoiding dunking my unprotected hands into the tank water while treating my fish at least, though. Maybe I'll just not use it once I'm done this course of medication anyways, because I know a store I can sometimes get to that's pretty distant carries both malachite green and methylene blue, and in pretty large quantities.
    • jayc
      Can't help you with Gentian Violet, sorry. It is banned in Australia violet for potential toxicity, and even possible cancer risks. I thought it was banned in Canada as well. At least, you now know why there isn't much info on gentian violet medication and it's use. But keep an eye on the snails after a week. If it affects the snails, it might not kill them immediately. So keep checking for up to a week. Much safer options out there. No point risking your own life over unsafe products.