• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Zoidburg
      I've heard "success" with blue velvets and red rilis... however, there was still a high cull rate and the line hadn't been stabilized.   Not sure if it's possible using other blues however I would suggest seeing what you do get out of the mix and seeing if any of that is worth keeping and breeding on. I've heard that blue dream and bloody mary can also produce some interesting mixes, but again, you will need to cull from the population of the ones you don't want breeding on. Maybe best to have a cull tank to see what grows up in there?
    • Zoidburg
      As far as figuring out your remineralizing schedule.... I would recommend going by GH and KH *FIRST*. Get it to the parameters you want, then measure the TDS. After that, you can go by the TDS and the GH and KH should be within range, as long as the TDS meter is clean and calibrated. 😊
    • Chiquarius
      Oops. Somehow text recognition corrected Blue Dream to Blue Believer. I meant to say I’ve got blue dream shrimp. Please let me know if anyone has experience crossbreedig these two.
    • Chiquarius
      Hello, I read somewhere that if you cross blue dream or blue believer/jelly shrimp with red rilis, you can end up with similar offspring, with a few red rilis who have blue bodies. I thought this very cool and began to attempt it myself. I put 10 blue dreams with 5 red rilis. However, I’m finding the offspring phenotypes throwing all over the place. I’m getting mostly clear/dark gray wild types, browns, some blues, some reds, even yellows. Most are too small to make out. Has anybody tried this? Maybe this only works with blue velvets. Maybe my shrimp didn’t have ‘pure’ phenotypes to begin with. Should I scrap it and just separate the mature red rilis and blue dreams? Or, could I ideally achieve a few blue bodies reds that would eventually breed true (or at least  stay within red-blue spectrum)?  
    • Sonnycbr
      That's all I need to know, I'll take the rocks out and maybe use a bit more wood for the Java moss. I'm only using a small corner filter so I'll have to limit the guppies to 10, and that's fine as well. I got a replacement meter from the Ebay shop I bought the dodgy one from and it's exactly the same as the last one....I've asked for a refund. Thanks for the advice. I need all I can get.