Tank dividers using curtain material

Kaylenna

Hi guys,

I'm trying to split a 2ft tank into 3 sections.  I have some acrylic pieces (4 bits per divider) I plan to glue together into a rectangle with a gap about 1inch wide and 8 inches long near the bottom to allow for water flow.   I plan to cover that gap with some sheer (probably nylon) curtain material that is fairly tightly woven - perhaps about 2-3 holes (or warps)/mm.  My worry is that it will clog too much or slow the water flow enough that the pump is not doing its job well.  Or some other unanticipated issues.  Since I was going to silicone in the dividers, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience using fine, sheer cloth for such purposed before I go down this fairly permanent path.

My attempts at removable/adjustable dividers held in place with suction cup divider thingies, super glue, and hot glue gunned edges were foiled by some sneaky shrimp I'd put in to test them.

I Have used Plastic Mesh 7 Count Canvas Sheet White from spotlight costs $3.99 each sheet. If I need bigger ones I attach another sheet with small cable ties. The frame I use is poster hangers available from Kmart one mitre 10. The frames a use a soldering iron to melt the joins together. These are easily cut using a good pair of scissors.

http://www.spotlightstores.com/sewing/knitting-crochet/knitting-crochet-accessories/plastic-mesh-7-count-canvas-sheet/p/BP80128863

I don't glue them in place or use suction caps they are made tight to fit into the tank but not to tight to case stress on the frame. 

Edited by zn30

I was using acrylic + curtain cloth because I had them on hand and wanted a fairly clear and cheap divider.  I also have this tendency to stick things (like various moss creations) to the sides of the tank/compartments and the smooth acrylic allows me to use suction cups for that.  Because I tend to fiddle a lot, I also needed the divider to be somewhat sturdy and attached well enough that I won't knock the down every time I want to attach something new.

I do have plastic canvas, but I mostly use that for moss ledges, arches, and things since they're not see-through and have rather large  holes. 

Poster hangers and S/S mesh is what I used in my first tank. My 4ft has glass with drilled holes covered in S/S mesh.