How breeding neocaridina yellow?

nicpapa

Hi there who breed those yellows?

Its the only shirmp  that had problems. :)

I loose them 2 times.

The first time I had them before 4-5 years they begin multiply , after a year stop breeding, and the shrimp get old and loose them all.

Before two years i buy new from germany from 8 shrimps i get 200+ , and then again stop breeding , get older and i had in the tank only 2 males.

I buy again 2 females , and raise them to 170-180 and again i dont see a sandle or eggs.

Whats wrong with those shrimps?

Its the only species doing this .

• Like 1

Friend of mine bought a bunch of 10 yellow. They did grow ealthy, nice color and good size. The female get berried several times, but not a single shrimplet show.
They died one by one in less 2 months, till 2 survived only

Then, he bought a second bunch of 10. Same story, when finally, as they were 4 left, 2 berried females finally gave birth. At the moment he is up to around 20 yellow... we cross fingers

• Like 1

They are difficult for sure.

I found that calcium rich treats like mulberry leaf in addition to a good shrimp food helped, and just keeping the water parameters stable is handy.

Mine don't breed for ages then the whole lot of them go crazy and breed like hell.

I'm very sure that Biozyme has helped with my shrimplet survival rate.

Edited by rawprawn
  • Like 1

Ditto!!! I'm glad you raised this topic @nicpapa and I also sympathise with you as well @Matuva I've had difficulty with YCS survival and with getting consistent breeding results too.

I've got my fingers crossed that things will go better for me now I am about to have another clear attempt at establishing a colony. In my case I started with 20 juvies in Feb 2015 and they had to endure a house-move and several very noob mistakes over the first 3-6months. Basically I found some would get berried but mostly the berried ladies would drop all or all but a handful of babies and then the odd shrimplet would survive here or there and I raised the numbers to almost 40.

I culled about 10 and sold approx 15 of my YCS back in january leaving me with I think about 10 females and 3 males but now for the past 2-3 months I've noticed most of the females usually saddled but seemingly refusing to moult and berried. The high calcium food trick @rawprawnsuggested might be worth considering in my case. A number of people recommend giving high protein feed to encourage saddling and/or berrying. In any case since my tank move and parameter/conditions reset the colour is better and I'm making several changes and giving it my best go with a year or mores experience under my belt now.

The changes/improvements I've been making or are in the process of making are (in no particular order) -

-Strict lighting regime.

-Temperature and WP stability, keep on top of WC and ensure CA:MG ratio is looking good.

-Much larger aquarium.

-Matching the WP of the breeder who has sold me the shrimps (happens to be using SS GH+ and pH 6.8-7 while I was using GH/KH+ and had pH of 7.4-7.6).

-Using active substrate.

-Gentler waterflow throughout most of the tank.

-More diverse flora and added variety of driftwoods.

-Keeping nitrates very very low.

There might be more I can't think of but I'm inspired to do trawl through some of the threads on SKF and elsewhere for diet and nutrition info. I know there was a great thread @jayc wrote listing the calcium (and potassium?) content of a big list of foods somewhere here!

I'd also love to hear more from anyone else here who has or has not successfully kept and bred YCS!

love n peace

will

Haha so im not the only. :)

Maybe some genetic ?

I dont have problems with the shrimplets grow or keep them , but why shrimps stop when rich a number, and dont begin again.

I dont have big tanks its around 30-40lt.

I try diferents substrtates, seachem , gravel, gravel with aragonite , akadama, all had the same results.

Raise temp to 26-27c.

Big -small  water changes .

Adding seachem discus mineral.

The last time i moved to  a new tank 170shrimps , no sandle no eggs.

My lights is 12hours.

Before i was keep them at :

Kh 3

Gh 5

Tds 140-160

I have co2 in the tanks my ph is about 6.7-.6.8.

Now i raise the gh wiht salty shrimp at 8-9 and tds to 180.

I see a lot of molts , and shrimps get biger,males going crazy. :)

I dont thinks that water parameters is the problem.

In all parameters shrimplets survive and grow but after population increase , shrimps stops breeding and sadle.

I put 10 of them in crs tank , just for a back up. :)

Yes i feed them mulbery for the ca, and now nettle, also hikaria algae wafers had high ca.

Try shrimp daddys some product for biofilm.

Now waiting some food to try.

With other shrimps there is not problem like this.

From a 30lt tank, I remove 500-600 orange shrimps, and still there was a lot of female with eggs and sandle.

When i move them to another tank

IMG]

At feeding

IMG]

Edited by nicpapa
  • Like 1

Hmmmm I never had an issue with yellow cherries in the past. I didn't do anything special, had them in a 4ft tank with good water flow, low growing carpet grass and pogo helferi. No heater, pressurized CO2 and insert substrate (1mm black pebbles). I did water changes maybe every couple of months and straight from the tap with Seachem Prime. Pretty much the same as what I did with my recent chocolate colony. pH was around 7+, not sure about the other parameters.

Some old pics:

gallery_25_9_167129.jpggallery_25_9_69415.jpggallery_25_9_52250.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe the problem is with small tanks.

Its not a difficult shrimps, but it stop breeding. :)

Nogi did you remember what gh kh have the tap water? 

• 1 month later...

I've had some luck since we discussed this subject. I've just found eves on one of my soon to be pride and joy :-)57c43a544502ace65b3d21f0d1734cc0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• HOF Member

I would consider myself a reasonable shrimp breeder. I had nearly every colour of the Neos and bred them well EXCEPT Yellows. I got them to breed but never had them survive long term - never longer than 12 months-  I never managed to get to the bottom of it and have spoken to many breeders who have the same problem or they get them to breed a couple of times then they stop and never start again. I would really like to try them again now I have even more understanding of breeding and water conditions but just don't know if I want to subject even more yellows to my apparent incompetency with them. I don't understand why I bred Reds, Blacks, Blues, and beautiful Rilis but my poor Yellows just didn't thrive. Even with varying water parameters, trying RO, tap water, low ph high ph medium ph.  Different substrates, plain gravel nothing made a difference, after 4 tries I gave up on Yellowsimage.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi after months of trying still nothing ...

Boring wiht those shrimps...

dont know why , they do this think.

I left with 20 shrimp, in a 50lt tank, and still no sandles no eggs...

Trying with crs water, same thing.

If now i buy 2-3 females , thet sandle fast and get eggs.

But after some months , after raise to 200-300 shrimps it will hapen the same.

• Like 1

Wow ricpapa that's no fun at all. Sorry to hear they are proving to be such a drag ...

I can say that the few berried ladies I have mounted to nothing unfortunately. No shrimplets survival at all... zero.

Then they stopped getting berried at all. Meanwhile the CRS in the same tank kept breeding beautifully..

I've been away for 5 weeks now but just before I left I caught those ycs and placed them directly into an unoccupied tank with pH of around 6 without any acclimatisation (and they were in a tank with a pH of around 6.5).

The shock from the sudden move resulted in two shrimp being berried within days it will be interesting to see what has happened while I've been gone. I'm quite bored with them too so if this effort fails then my ycs adventures might be at their end as well.

Love n peace

Will

Love n peace

Will

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• Like 1