mysteryshrimp

? Hello there! New member here in this forum, very exited to learn with you guys. I read bits and pieces before joining and one thing you guys said is absolutely true... being a newbie in shrimp is very confusing with all these different "brand names" 

I'm here searching for insight as my husband insisted I bring home some "blue velvet" shrimp from lfs and wants to start his own shrimp tank. I'm trying to obtain as much factual information on these guys, specifically what exactly they are. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down but want to be sure. Any insight on these guys? 

Screenshot_2016-03-14-21-47-46.png

Edited by mysteryshrimp
my 1 year old accidentally posted

Welcome mysteryshrimp to the wonderful world of shrimpkeeping!  One thing I'm sure you'll hear from all the members on this forum is there's no such thing as a silly question so make sure you ask away...Secondly, keeping shrimp is a very addictive hobby LOL.  Now onto your question about keeping blue velvet.  The first thing I would suggest is read up about suitable tank setup for the species.  To be honest, the actual keeping of the shrimp once you have it's environment sorted out correctly is the easy part, it's the getting the right environment set up for them that's the hardest....I don't keep those particular shrimp but I know more than a few members here would and would be happy to give you information about them specifically.  Good luck and shrimp on! :-)

Edited by Shrimpelina

Welcome to SKF Mysteryshrimp

1 hour ago, mysteryshrimp said:

1f44b.png Hello there! New member here in this forum, very exited to learn with you guys. I read bots and pieces before joining and one thing you guys said is absolutely true... being a newbie in shrimp is very confusing with all these different "brand names" 

I'm here searching for insight as my husband insisted I bring home some "blue velvet" shrimp from lfs and wants to start his own shrimp tank. I'm trying to obtain as much factual information on these guys, specifically what exactly they are. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down but want to be sure. Any insight on these guys? 

Blue Velvets are a type of Cherry Shrimp or Neocaridina Davidi.

In Australia Blue Velvets are light blue shrimp that come from Red rili blue body shrimp. I am not sure if in America they follow the same definition as in Australia but I am still sure it will be a type of cherry shrimp that is blue.

These are the water parameter that they handle ok but if you want them to be really happy somewhere in the middle.

Name: Cherry Shrimp(Neocaridina Davidii)

TDS: 100-250

PH: 6.5-7.6

GH: 4-14

KH: 0-10

Temp: 18-24

If you want to know anything else don't hesitate to ask.

• Like 1

Thats what i thought they were. My water parameters are perfect for them too! I got a total of 3. All are blue but one is lighter with very little clear areas along the body. The other two are very very dark blue. Is that one a cull that never happened or something else? I've tried over and over to post pictures but for some reason it won't let me?

Also, if I use this lighter color shrimp to start my little colony will it affect the vibrancy of shrimp to come?